“Great CLEAN and friendly place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great CLEAN and friendly place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

Stayed with them from Friday, August 29 through Wednesday September 3. It was a last minute getaway before the kids went back to school on September 4. We chose this location because it was in between everything we wanted to do. Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Jamestown, etc....

Check in went smooth, in fact we got an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. The suite was roomy for our family of 3. Kitchen had new stainless steel fridge, dishwasher and microwave. Granite kitchen counters. Deep stainless steel sink and they gave us dishwashing liquid, automatic dishwashing pods and paper towels. Kitchen was stocked with everything we needed (pot, pans, dishes, colander, cookie sheet, silverware, toaster, coffee pot, pot holders, cooking utensils etc.....) Everything worked, and nothing was broken. Beds were super comfortable. I asked for a feather free room, as I am allergic, and they accommodated my request.

I am very allergic to dust, feathers, mold, etc... and I was very comfortable in this suite. I did not sneeze once. I have stayed with family before that doesn't vacuum and dust, and I have been a non-stop sneezing machine. Not at this hotel. Everything was clean. I even walked on the carpeting with white socks to see if my socks got dirtied, and they didn't. When a floor can pass the white sock test, it is a good sign.

The bathroom had a full tub and shower and they gave us little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and soap. The two bedrooms had very comfortable beds; the master had a desk as well. The living area had a sleeper sofa and a comfy chair with a flat panel TV. Flat panel TV’s were in each bedroom as well. Nice selection of channels. We also had a comfortable table that sat three people for eating. The windows were new and the curtains were white and clean. The bedspreads were also white and spotless.

There was a pool outside, but we didn't use it. They have seating in the pool area, and tables with a gas grill if you want to grill. We saw a family one night grilling hamburgers and eating outside at one of the tables.

The WiFi worked well and it allowed us to use our IPAD, and research things in the area. The WiFi was free. If you forget your IPAD or your phone doesn't cooperate, they have a small business center in the lobby with one small computer you can use for free.

They served a continental breakfast. Cereal, bagels, English muffins, packages of instant grits and oatmeal with condiments for the oatmeal (raisins, walnuts, brown sugar) and some sort of pastry. Juice, coffee, tea and one morning they even had hard boiled eggs. They had the usual condiments, like peanut butter, cream cheese, butter, etc... They had fruit out in large bowls all the time, even when it wasn't breakfast. The apples and bananas were good. In the early evening, they put out fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. They were delicious. My husband enjoyed the free USA newspaper every morning with his breakfast. My usual breakfast was an English muffin with peanut butter, fruit, juice and coffee. My daughter loved making oatmeal and having fruit. My husband had his cereal with fruit, coffee and juice.

We got a refresh service, where they came in and took out the garbage, made the beds, and gave us new towels. They also replaced things we had used in the kitchen, like the dishwasher pods, coffee for the coffeemaker, and gave us new dishtowels.

We used the laundry area a few times (washing beach towels, swim suits, etc...) It is $1 for the wash machine and $1 for the dryer (all quarters). They provide you with the soap and dryer sheets.

Everyone was friendly. They answered questions about Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, Jamestown, etc.... The morning lady was very friendly, smiling, and always telling us that if we needed anything, we can just ask.

There was always plenty of parking when we got back from our daily trips. We went to Colonial Williamsburg, toured the campus of the College of William and Mary, did a tour of the Norfolk, Naval Base, went to Virginia Beach a couple of times, and went fishing on a party boat in Hampton. Our family had a great time. The location was perfect.

We were on the second floor. We don't believe anyone was above us, because it was very quiet. There are 3 floors, and they have elevators if you don't want to use the stairs. Noise was not a factor and we slept and stayed peacefully.

This is a pet friendly hotel. We met a couple of really nice dogs. Oakley was one dog, and another puppy, whose name I don't remember... All well behaved, adorable, dogs. So nice to know that the option is available. Our dog passed away a year ago, but I would have loved a hotel such as this that would have accomodated her. In our house, the dog is a family member, and trying to find good hotels that accepted a pet, was always a problem. Good hotels that are pet friendly are in short supply and often force families to board dogs at kennels. This is really not good for the dogs as they are unhappy and don't understand what is going on. Many dogs become depressed, refuse to eat, and become ill.

All in all, I would rate our stay 5 stars. We would come back here in a heartbeat. In fact, we probably will, because we would like to go to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. when it is not "peak season". Maybe sometime in May. When my heart heals and we rescue another dog, I will bring he/she along with the rest of the family.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, ask for a room by the elevators.
Green Features: They recycle. We seperated our plastic bottles and glass bottles and put them in the recycling bin. After the first day, the cleaning lady took the recycling out for us.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The hotel overall met the needs of my husband and I but offered nothing special. We stayed 6 nights and the main reason I chose the hotel was for the kitchen. Easy check-in and great customer service. The people that work at towneplace are curtious and helpful. The room was nice but there was a subway sandwich in our fridge and no toilet paper or paper towels. We were able to get these things from the front desk and they were very apologetic. The breakfast is bare bones. Just cereal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, packaged pastries and packets of plain oatmeal and grits. I've stayed at all kinds of budget hotels and usually the breakfast can be counted on for at least some waffles. The gym was awful. They have 2 machines and one was out of order the entire time. The elliptical they had working was on its last legs. I was very dissappointed considering on very hot and humid days it's nice to have some equipment to workout on. The parking is also a huge issue. We came back during the week at 10pm and there was no parking spots. Apparently the Marriott next store uses towneplace's parking lot for their overflow. It was annoying to come back each night and not know if we would have a spot. Also the internet is bad. Connection would go in and out. They charge you $4.95 for upgraded internet and it was very suspicious that the free internet kept crashing. Considering the abundant amount of hotels in the area I will probably pay a bit more and stay somewhere that offers a little bit extra.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Greenbelt, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our room was very clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The location was convenient for quickly getting to all of our planned excursions in the area like Virginia Beach and the Williamsburg area. The only downside to our visit was there was a youth basketball tournament going on in the area. The hotel was filled with noisy teenage boys. The manager was kind enough to refund a day of our stay to make up for the inconvenience.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Greenville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel was in a safe location. The rooms were clean plenty of parking. Restuarants wtihin walking distance. There is a small pool for use and a small exercise room. The breakfast was the typical cold buffet with cereal and pastries. (I am gluten free and was limited on options I could eat). The check in was very very quick however I will say the front desk person had little personality. Not rude just reserved and unpersonably. My only complaint was loud neighbors but that is not the hotels fault its the lack of common sense in some people. I would still stay here again.

Room Tip: I would recomment Building B. Its away from the Pool noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

You know who you are - and you made 6 weeks pleasurable. The hotel was great, the housekeepers were terrific - but the casual conversations with front office - and the care they take in making you comfortable during a long-term stay is genuine and appreciated.

Don't know that I'll be returning to the area - but I'd stay here and stop in and say hello!

Deb Jonsson

Room Tip: The hotel has a full kitchen - so anyone who is staying a long time or has a family - this is perfec...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Hotel and staff very friendly. Loved room. The location was near places that I needed to go. I plan to stay there again in June. Plenty of space for my family and I. Love the price which is always a plus. It was great to save on the room it leaves more finds to do other things.

• Stayed April 2014
Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

A few years back I stayed and I would have given this place a 3 star review but It has been remodeled and the staff is amazing! The parking area was filled but the staff said they were completely full that weekend so I understand. The staff was very helpful printing out dirrections for me and told me a shortcut to avoid a bad traffic area also! I give it 5 stars and I will continue to go back! The only thing I have an issue with is the size of the gym which is only 2 machines.

Room Tip: I stayed in the studio which overlooked the lake! I recommend calling ahead to get a view overlookin...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown? Share your experiences!