“Safe and Clean” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Greenville, North Carolina
“Safe and Clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel was in a safe location. The rooms were clean plenty of parking. Restuarants wtihin walking distance. There is a small pool for use and a small exercise room. The breakfast was the typical cold buffet with cereal and pastries. (I am gluten free and was limited on options I could eat). The check in was very very quick however I will say the front desk person had little personality. Not rude just reserved and unpersonably. My only complaint was loud neighbors but that is not the hotels fault its the lack of common sense in some people. I would still stay here again.

Room Tip: I would recomment Building B. Its away from the Pool noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

You know who you are - and you made 6 weeks pleasurable. The hotel was great, the housekeepers were terrific - but the casual conversations with front office - and the care they take in making you comfortable during a long-term stay is genuine and appreciated.

Don't know that I'll be returning to the area - but I'd stay here and stop in and say hello!

Deb Jonsson

Room Tip: The hotel has a full kitchen - so anyone who is staying a long time or has a family - this is perfec...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Hotel and staff very friendly. Loved room. The location was near places that I needed to go. I plan to stay there again in June. Plenty of space for my family and I. Love the price which is always a plus. It was great to save on the room it leaves more finds to do other things.

• Stayed April 2014
Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

A few years back I stayed and I would have given this place a 3 star review but It has been remodeled and the staff is amazing! The parking area was filled but the staff said they were completely full that weekend so I understand. The staff was very helpful printing out dirrections for me and told me a shortcut to avoid a bad traffic area also! I give it 5 stars and I will continue to go back! The only thing I have an issue with is the size of the gym which is only 2 machines.

Room Tip: I stayed in the studio which overlooked the lake! I recommend calling ahead to get a view overlookin...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I had two two-night stays at this property over two months: the first was over the Thanksgiving holiday and the second over the Christmas holiday. Both stays were with a family member with special needs, so I requested an accessible room. Room 103 (Christmas stay) was better suited for our needs than Room 105 (Thanksgiving stay) because Room 103 had the walk in shower. Although Room 105 had a folding seat like the shower in Room 103, it was a bit difficult for someone with mobility issues to climb over the bathtub. Both bathrooms had hand grips along the walls, which was helpful. Both rooms had a pull out sofabed and the kitchenette was well-stocked with cleaning supplies, dishes, pots/pans, and utensils. Both rooms had a nice view of the pond.

The reception staff were welcoming and let me know that there would not be any housekeeping service on major holidays. Nevertheless, there was always someone at the front desk available if we needed anything, and breakfast items were stocked.

The property has a nice location. There is a Japanese and Mexican restaurant within walking distance, and a Kroger grocery store across the main road. It is also within five miles of other retail stores.

I will be staying here again next time I visit relatives in the area.

Room Tip: There is no housekeeping service on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Accessible rooms are on the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was the closest we could get to Williamsburg for a long weekend getaway and it worked out fine. Maybe about 20 minutes away from Busch Gardens. The breakfast was a good deal. The area around this place is quiet and there are many eating places close by for lunch and dinner. And, if you don't want to go out, having a full kitchen gives the opportunity to make meals right there.

Room Tip: Stay on the side next to the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Spring Lake, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was supposed to be a 30-day stay; i couldn't keep my family in this dump more than ten nights because of the cigarette smoke permeating through the walls. My wife and I complained for THREE NIGHTS RUNNING about the smoke coming through the vents and the most we got was a shrug. I'm sorry; I thought that placard warning guests about a $250 fine for smoking in the rooms meant something. Thanks for proving to me otherwise, and now I can take my family to an establishment that will actually get off their backsides to handle complaints.

I don't care about the condition of the room, the dated furniture (WARNING: this place hasn't been renovated in 11 years), or the weak internet access, or even the joke they call a fitness center (two treadmills and mirrors in a closet). All of that would be bearable if the customer service was better, if the front desk staff showed they cared with actions instead of words. This hotel exemplifies just about every problem I've had with TownePlace Suites, and perhaps it's best that I disassociate myself (and my money) from this chain. I can't deal with the song and dance anymore.

[To be fair, one of the FD staff did offer to move us into another room, but I have a pregnant wife and a toddler; if I'm going to endure the inconvenience of moving to another room, why not just move my family to another hotel, especially if I feel they had all the opportunity in the world to handle this?]

Everybody has different experiences with different hotels; many will say this is the best-kept secret in Hampton Roads. I'd like to see what they were smoking (pun intended). Bottom line, another trucker-quality hotel that disappointed me greatly, and I'm thinking seriously about following this up with a letter to the CEO of the chain.

Room Tip: If you CANNOT deal with smoke or pets, do yourself a favor and avoid this location. Never have I de...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown? Share your experiences!