“Clean, Economical, but Shabby” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Duke of York Hotel

You added Duke of York Hotel to your Saves list
Duke of York Hotel
508 Water Street, The Only Hotel in the Historic Village of Yorktown, VA, Yorktown, VA 23690   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Norfolk, VA
“Clean, Economical, but Shabby”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

This is an economy MO-tel. I emphasize the MO...Imagine a 1950s motel with external room entrances that has been upgraded with fresh paint throughout, and new window A/C units. If you don't have any expectations, then you will find this a below-average, slightly shabby place to flop. Great value with Military Discount put my room at $90 for a night during peak summer season (weekday). The restaurant does not open until 0730, and it is the ONLY game in town for breakfast. Only 3 restaurants in walking distance for other meals.

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

We walked in off the street and were given a great rate. The guy at the front desk was very friendly and informative. Our room was clean and the beds were comfy. The hotel is right across the street from the York River and the views were fantastic. There are 4 restaurants within walking distance. Other sights would have been within walking distance if it were not so cold.
We would definately stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cold weather
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

The reviews on this hotel are misleading. This is not where you want your family vacation at all. The hotel is old ( and I don't mean colonial old) - just run down old, and in poor condition. It has a moldy smell - I think from the carpet. While some attempts have been made to make the rooms look up to date, hardly enough has been done, and frankly - it's unexcusable. The bedding is of poor quality, as well as the curtians and furniture. There is absolutely no ambiance - and I believe the walls are cinder-block. The pool is very small. It is a shame that this hotel is all that The Yorktown Beach area has to offer. I'm wondering why it hasn't been torn down. As for the area - I frequent it on a weekly basis, and, as much construction has been done in the past few years, the Yorktown Beach/ Riverwalk is very clean, charming and relaxing. It stays true to colonial architecture with a blend of modern conveince. Locals living/working in colonial Yorktown are very friendly and knowledgable. I would not recommend the hotel to anyone except those who are mearly at the beach for the day, and would like a place to shower off and redress and then with the quickness leave. I read a review on this hotel, where it said that The Duke has earned it's one star - well, not in my book. Only if this hotel is ever replaced or has a major overhaul - would I then definetly recommend it - as the area is conveinently located, with lots to look at in close walking proximity, and major highways close by make it easy to reach great shopping, Busch Gardens, Water Country, Colonial Williamsburg, Pirates Cove Mini Golf, numerous resturants, and of course the new hotel would be smack in the middle of charming Colonial Yorktown, giving you a view of the York River! The Duke - what an embarresment to the area. One positive remark; the staff were very polite and friendly.

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2005

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend and a friend as we toured the Jameston/Yorktown area recently. The motel was located along the water with a gorgeous view and a beautiful beach only steps away from the front entrance. We stayed during the week so the rates were very reasonable, about $72 + $10 for the third person. There was a great pub just down the street where we enjoyed a delightful meal (I recommend the delicious crab cakes!), and afterwards we wandered along the beach and down the pier. We also ran into what looked like a very interesting "ghost tour" that takes place after dark. If we had found out about it sooner we definitely would have taken advantage of it! The rooms themselves are very well appointed and best of all CLEAN. We had a private balcony in the front area of the hotel, and there were ice and pop machines just down the hall. My only complaint about the room was that the air conditioning was either VERY COLD or it just turned off. It was hard to find a moderate temperature (but I suppose that's better than no A/C at all). We also took advantage of the great pool located behind the main building. The front desk staff were also helpful and friendly - check-in and check-out were a breeze. We also ate breakfast at the motel restaurant before leaving and again, we were all impressed. I would highly recommend this motel to budget-conscious travellers who want convenience and comfort. The location is ideal for those who want to visit the Jameston settlement and the Yorktown Victory Center & Battlefield. The next time I am in this area I will definitely be staying at the Duke of York motel.

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

My family and I stayed only one night on our vacation the Yorktown last year. We planned to stay longer, but we were so disappointed in the accomidation that there was no way we would stay another night. First off, they lost power for most of the night. No lights, no air conditioning (in July no less). I understand that power outages happen, but has no one there heard of a generator? After a horribly unconfortable night, they have the nerve to charge us for this debauchal. Take my advice - choose other accomidations. This was the absolute worst experience. I came across this website while looking for a hotel for this years trip...believe me - I won't make the same mistake twice.

Stayed July 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

We were looking forward to staying at this property but were terribly disappointed. We were told we would have a room with a balcony and an upper floor. We called the property the morning we were to check in and were told they didn't have an upper floor room. We could not cancel due to the long cancellation policy. When we arrived there was no attempt to find another room for us. The person working at the desk would not look at us and made no apology for the mix-up. I would really question this property when making a reservation. The ground floor rooms in the main building are far from comfortable. It earns its one star rating.

• Stayed June 2005
Fairfax Co, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2005

Nice location along the water and in the heart of the Yorktown tourist area. This is an older property that gives the feeling of the 1950's era. I liked being in walking distance to the Yorktowne Pub which is a few steps away...great Pub food and fare without having to drive!

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!