“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Duke of York Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yorktown
Duke of York Hotel
You added Duke of York Hotel to your Saves list
508 Water Street, The Only Hotel in the Historic Village of Yorktown, VA, Yorktown, VA 23690   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Bassett, Virginia, United States
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

With all the bad reviews I felt I need to post another one on our second stay. We stayed the 11th-14th. The 2 times I have stayed here there has been wedding parties and every one seemed to be enjoying themselves so I don't understand the complaints. Both trips here we have been treated great by all staff. The hotel has always been clean and kept clean daily. I believe we seen the manager once in passing and once while checking out. She was friendly both times. We had family to changed plans at the last minute and were able to travel with us. I asked at check in would it be a problem or an extra charge. I would have gladly paid. We were not charged extra and thoroughly enjoyed our first and last family vacation. My mother has terminal cancer and we could not have picked a better place. I will be returning!

• Stayed July 2013
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you Tina for your support!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Hawley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have no problem sharing my name b/c i have nothing to hide or be ashamed of.But what i and all of the guess for my sister wedding ran into some type of problem.The first thing i would like to address is when, Vivian asked my sister's in-laws, "why would the bride's sister be making the reservation when the she lives in pa and the brides lives here". WELL Mrs. vivian I took over helping book reservations to take the weigh off of my sister's shoulders. Besides what did it matter who booked the reservation anyway!? Also when we spoke on the phone(numerous time) in regards to more reservations for people it was stated by YOU that we'd get the wedding/group rate of 79.00 a night.5 of those reservation were for more then just the wedding night and i specifically asked you if it was still 79.00 a night and you said YES you could do that for us.Then to get there and have to fight to get that rate!The best was when i spoke w/the owner regarding this issue& u came over and were nice as could be.You stating it must have been the people at the front desk getting the rates wrong when IN FACT i stated in front of you and the owner U TOLD ME 79.00 a night you tried saving yourself by saying "oh but that was only for the two wedding nights",then i said but u gave me a total for the week at the 79.00 rate.you had nothing more to say. I'm reading here and thinking to myself with what my numerous family member had to deal w/your unprofessional words,someone should of called the police on you.What was supposed to b a great week get away,turned into nothing but problems.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Group blocks are for specified dates, and the reduced rates only apply for the specified dates in the block, then all additional night stays are at our regular rate. This is the purpose of setting them up. Sorry that your stay was not what you intended.
Duluth, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed in this motel for one night while attending a wedding. Our party consisted of 3 women. Check in was fine with no problems. The hotel was full and therefore had limited parking. The room had a nice view of the water but the bathroom had hair in the shower and did not feel as clean as it should be. There was also some partially used shampoo that was left on the counter. Some other guest from the wedding party stayed here and were treated poorly by the manager. I would not recommend the motel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
We apologize for not meeting your needs while staying with us.
Yorktown, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Her name is Vivian Harris and she loves nothing more than causing trouble. Booked a wedding party and she had the nerve to say we didn't have reservations. This is after waving a confirmation in her face. Since she didn't like what we were saying, she decided to call the police. 22 rooms reserved for this wedding and several trips up there just to ensure the weekend would go smoothly and of course, all for naught. Ms. Harris has only been on staff for a few months and apparently has done nothing but cause hate and discontent among customers. Should have known something was up upon first meeting her as she was berating two customers that were being overcharged. (Of course, she called the police on them also.) HORRIBLE customer service. Would highly recommend NOT staying here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Everyone has to blame someone for THEIR behavior, and I do not mind being BASHED publicly. But, come on...tell the truth. When you block a group of rooms for a wedding, reunion, or whatever, that is what you get. When you come in a week to ten days before arrival and want to change days and rooms, unfortunately this is not always possible, which is what this bride wanted me to do. I was NOT going to "bump" a guest that had reservations for particular room, just so the bride could have her party all around her. She should have blocked the specific rooms she wanted at the time of blocking her rooms. She did have reservations and everyone was checked in, so I do not understand them saying I told them they had none. I'm sorry she did not co-ordinate her special day in the right way. Not my fault. As for calling the cops, yes I did. The language he used and the awful names that I was called, he should have been arrested instead of asked to leave. Nuff said.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here recently for a wedding. We travelled from Ireland and really looked forward to a week in the hotel. We stayed here 2 years ago and had a fantastic time. The cleaning staff were still the same and the lady remembered us and we had a great chat. This lady was the saving grace and fantastic at her job nothing was to much for her. To keep it short we were shouted at in reception by a manager who was anything but professional all because we asked for a confirmation of the original rate. (She slandered other members of the wedding party even said the bride should have sorted this instead of other members of the family along with other non professional actions, all we said was "we are here to confirm the rate") when we checked out 2 days later she was not there and had not corrected the rate even after her blow up. When you book this hotel be sure you get a confirmation of the rate before you give them any credit card details. We were charged twice! once with a much higher rate and then again with the agreed rate because no one else on site can give refunds. It took many calls and shouting matches with Vivian(it would take a long time to explain just how unprofessional these calls were) to get our refund because she is the only staff member who can give refunds. The view from the hotel is lovely and the rest of the staff pleasant but not worth dealing with the management. When you look through the reviews, all positive reviews had no dealings with the manager. The staff to me look like they are been worn down by her also (just my opinion). To the owner of this hotel please see the problems here and fix it because you will have no hotel soon if it keeps going down hill like it is. In the 2 years since I have stayed here last your manager single handed made sure I will never stay again. If you are traveling from overseas like me don't stay here it does not show the true American spirit of good customer service or even the usual good American manners.

Room Tip: The 4th and 5th floors have the best view. But the 2nd and 3rd have an advantage as they are in the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Your rates were honored and we even gave you receipts showing your charges. Some do not understand that the credit card companies put a hold on funds until checkout, which is what you are referring to as being charged twice. Your pending authorization was released and you were faxed a copy of that. And we never scream at our guests, unfortunately, we are the one who get screamed at.
Williamsburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I highly discourage anyone to book or make reservations with the Duke of York Hotel! I recently had a wedding at the Freight shed and numerous family members stayed at what they thought were wedding rates and were over charged and double charged to their credit cards, but everyone in my wedding party was treated with disrespect, when they questioned the General Manager. 10 rooms were booked for 2 nights and at least 5 rooms were booked for the entire week. Not only did my husband and I pay in full when we left using prepaid gift visa cards they charged my credit card also. the sad thing is the prepaid visa cards were taken at the register, SO we don't have proof-WHAT A SHAM!! Two Thumbs down! What a mess!!!

Room Tip: The only thing good about this hotel is the View! The best level is 4 or 5 you are away from the bus...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Sorry that you and or your guest were disappointed with your stay. As for the "wedding rate" all was given for the specified dates in your group block. Extra days, before or after these dates are at the normal rate. I believe this is what you are meaning by "over charging", which we did not. Again, we at The Duke of York Hotel apologize for your anguish and wish you the best in your new life.
Yorktown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding at the Freight Shed at the Yorktown waterfront. We had a block of rooms for the wedding party and couldn't me more pleased with our stay here. We are locals, so had never been in the rooms, only to the restaurant on a fairly regular basis. The front desk clerks were extremely nice, and the rooms were great. Upon our arrival on the second floor, the lady in housekeeping was still cleaning rooms. She was very friendly and stopped to chat with us for a few minutes. I could tell that she was doing a thorough job of cleaning just by looking at her supplies and how seriously she took her job. When I arrived in our room, I was very impressed with how clean it was, not surpised though, after having just chatted with Jill!!! The next morning, I chatted with her some more, and she said that she had been there for about 30 years. That says a lot!!!
There are no frills or anything special that would make this a 5 star motel, but sometimes it's the staff, the hospitality, the cleanliness, and the good food that put it right up there with those types of hotels. Even though we live 10 minutes from the Duke of York, I am so glad that we got to experience a wonderful stay here. Gives me the ability to honestly recommend it to out of town guests who are looking for a nice, clean place to stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind response about your visit to The Duke of York. Our housekeeping staff take pride in their work and we all strive to meet all the needs of our guests. We thank you and hope to see you again.

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!