“A Recent Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duke of York Hotel

You added Duke of York Hotel to your Saves list
Duke of York Hotel
508 Water Street, The Only Hotel in the Historic Village of Yorktown, VA, Yorktown, VA 23690   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Richmond, Virginia
“A Recent Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at this motel recently, but have stayed there many times over the years. We were greeted by a very welcoming front desk. When we went to our room, we were happy to see a large flat screened TV. It seems that changes are coming to this motel! We had a few problems with the water during our stay, and Vivian, the new manager, dealt with everything very professionally and adjusted our bill. We were satisfied with the outcome.This is one of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed in. It is not a Hilton or an Omni, but it is clean. (Kudos to the housekeeper) We will continue to stay at this motel because we love being by the water, and we love eating dinner at the restaurant on the first floor. They serve some of the best seafood we've ever eaten. The locals must think so too, because the place is always crowded when we eat there.

Room Tip: Wifi signals are week in some rooms, so I would recoomend not getting a room over the restaurant.
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
We are please that you enjoyed your stay with us! And yes, changes have been made at the Duke of York Hotel. We are still in the process of multiple upgrades and hope to have them complete very soon. We thank you for your patience during our episode with the water, and all is well now.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Had no other option this afternoon and hesitantly walked into the MOTEL. Was pleasantly surprised to see a new face behind the front desk. Apparently the previous manager was let go. Good start. I thought. The new older woman was kind but so incredibly confused by the process of check in, my inquiry about local attractions and the restaurant hours that I did not know what to do. Clearly the ownership just promoted the "next in line". Such a shame. The place needs renovations but also an attitude/service change.

• Stayed January 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I checked into this well located MOTEL and was unpleasantly greated by an angry old lady at the front desk. I should have known to leave right away. Instead, I went thru the irritating conversation and got my room. When I opened the door to my room, I almost laughed. The carpet was stained and dirty, the tv was 20 years old and the bed spread had a dirty towel that must have been left by the previous guest. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed November 2012
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
I sincerely apologize we did not meet your expectations. We are now in the process of renovating rooms and upgrading televisions.
Poquoson, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I will never suggest this hotel to anyone solely based on the unprofessional front desk and reservations. I go to check in and they inform me that they GAVE my room to someone else that was there two nights instead of my one. I made a reservation MANY weeks in advance with the guarantee of a river/street view room for the Christmas festivities that were going on in Yorktown that weekend and at that time did speak to a friendly/helpful individual. I had to change from reservation from 2 nights to 1. They NEVER informed me that I would not get the room I was promised. I didn't find out until check-in. And they tried to tell me the other room was just as good...at the back of the hotel. I checked it out before I would agree. It was AWFUL. The view was of the roof of the room I was supposed to have had and in no way did they offer a discount, apology or anything. They just shrugged their shoulders and basically said, "oh well take it or leave it". I left it! Because they have a monopoly on the riverfront they think they can treat people unprofessionally. I hope they sleep well at night knowing they made my 6 year old son cry that was so looking forward to a fun night.

Room Tip: Don't let them tell you that the 4th floor will offer you the same (or better) views than a 2nd...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Sorry, you did not like the location of the room. We guarantee room types not room #s or locations. You reserved a room with 2 double beds and that 's what the room had. The building where your assigned room was, also offers a view of the river . I am sorry you felt the desk personnel was unprofessional , I have spoken to them regarding the situation. You mentioned no discount was offered ,that's because you were not charged.
New Brunswick, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I'm writing this through the slow internet connection of my room in Duke of York motel. It's simply the worst m/hotel I've stayed at (and I've been to a lot of places).

The good:
1. The people here were nice and helped me with anything I needed. The cleaning people did their job well too.
2. The view is very pleasing and might be a good beach experience during a warmer season. Although it could be a lot less quiet than now (November).
3. It was very unpopulated (No wonder why! go to 'The bad' below).

The bad (everything else):
1. The rooms look old. To be fair, it's a 2-star place.
2. The bathroom feels old and rusty, water won't go down the drain (so good luck with the back-splashes when brushing your teeth).
3. There were tiny flying bugs in the bathroom
4. They assume you don't use the internet. No one will give you the password unless you ask, and the connection is slow.
5. there was a safe in the room but it didn't work.
6. The bed in the room was not the most comfortable (not supporting enough for me, it would cave in where I slept).
7. The mirror in the bathroom was old and broken at some edges.
8. The hair dryer was so old and had a lot of sticky stuff on the mesh. I was too disgusted to use it.
9. Last but definitely not least: All the above with a price tag of OVER A HUNDRED dollars per night.

Conclusion: I had a meeting at a nearby institution and I kind of had to stay here for two nights. I would have never stayed in (or paid that much for) a place like this myself. I understand the whole Colonial/Village/take-a-break spirit, but there has to be some sort of common sense as to the very basic needs of a traveller (e.g. the water has to go down the drain). I'm sure they get some referrals (=special rates) from nearby institutions to keep them afloat, but that's going to work for so long.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
I sincerely apologize the hotel did not meet your expectations. Had your concerns been brought to my attention I certainly would have tried to address them. Unless I am made aware of a guest questions or concerns I cannot try to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. Again my apology
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

May not be a new, modern hotel but it makes up for it with location. On the water in Historic Yorktown, you can walk to all the historic sites including the Battlefield and National Park. If you're going to the Yorktown Day celebration in October, this is absolutely the place to stay. Just make your reservation early. I've stayed here before and will continue to return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you very much. Look forward to your return
Tignall, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed on October 17-19th, the room was clean, quiet and had a wonderful view. The bed was comfortable. The restaurant was closed on the 17th, but open on the 18th and the food was delicious. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed our stay very much. Would go back again!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!