“Old and Tired Motel” 1 of 5 stars

508 Water Street, Yorktown, VA 23690   |
Ranked #7 of 8 hotels in Yorktown
“Old and Tired Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I checked into this well located MOTEL and was unpleasantly greated by an angry old lady at the front desk. I should have known to leave right away. Instead, I went thru the irritating conversation and got my room. When I opened the door to my room, I almost laughed. The carpet was stained and dirty, the tv was 20 years old and the bed spread had a dirty towel that must have been left by the previous guest. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed November 2012
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Motel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
I sincerely apologize we did not meet your expectations. We are now in the process of renovating rooms and upgrading televisions.

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Poquoson, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I will never suggest this hotel to anyone solely based on the unprofessional front desk and reservations. I go to check in and they inform me that they GAVE my room to someone else that was there two nights instead of my one. I made a reservation MANY weeks in advance with the guarantee of a river/street view room for the Christmas festivities that were going on in Yorktown that weekend and at that time did speak to a friendly/helpful individual. I had to change from reservation from 2 nights to 1. They NEVER informed me that I would not get the room I was promised. I didn't find out until check-in. And they tried to tell me the other room was just as good...at the back of the hotel. I checked it out before I would agree. It was AWFUL. The view was of the roof of the room I was supposed to have had and in no way did they offer a discount, apology or anything. They just shrugged their shoulders and basically said, "oh well take it or leave it". I left it! Because they have a monopoly on the riverfront they think they can treat people unprofessionally. I hope they sleep well at night knowing they made my 6 year old son cry that was so looking forward to a fun night.

Room Tip: Don't let them tell you that the 4th floor will offer you the same (or better) views than a 2nd...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Motel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Sorry, you did not like the location of the room. We guarantee room types not room #s or locations. You reserved a room with 2 double beds and that 's what the room had. The building where your assigned room was, also offers a view of the river . I am sorry you felt the desk personnel was unprofessional , I have spoken to them regarding the situation. You mentioned no discount was offered ,that's because you were not charged.
New Brunswick, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I'm writing this through the slow internet connection of my room in Duke of York motel. It's simply the worst m/hotel I've stayed at (and I've been to a lot of places).

The good:
1. The people here were nice and helped me with anything I needed. The cleaning people did their job well too.
2. The view is very pleasing and might be a good beach experience during a warmer season. Although it could be a lot less quiet than now (November).
3. It was very unpopulated (No wonder why! go to 'The bad' below).

The bad (everything else):
1. The rooms look old. To be fair, it's a 2-star place.
2. The bathroom feels old and rusty, water won't go down the drain (so good luck with the back-splashes when brushing your teeth).
3. There were tiny flying bugs in the bathroom
4. They assume you don't use the internet. No one will give you the password unless you ask, and the connection is slow.
5. there was a safe in the room but it didn't work.
6. The bed in the room was not the most comfortable (not supporting enough for me, it would cave in where I slept).
7. The mirror in the bathroom was old and broken at some edges.
8. The hair dryer was so old and had a lot of sticky stuff on the mesh. I was too disgusted to use it.
9. Last but definitely not least: All the above with a price tag of OVER A HUNDRED dollars per night.

Conclusion: I had a meeting at a nearby institution and I kind of had to stay here for two nights. I would have never stayed in (or paid that much for) a place like this myself. I understand the whole Colonial/Village/take-a-break spirit, but there has to be some sort of common sense as to the very basic needs of a traveller (e.g. the water has to go down the drain). I'm sure they get some referrals (=special rates) from nearby institutions to keep them afloat, but that's going to work for so long.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Motel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
I sincerely apologize the hotel did not meet your expectations. Had your concerns been brought to my attention I certainly would have tried to address them. Unless I am made aware of a guest questions or concerns I cannot try to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. Again my apology
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

May not be a new, modern hotel but it makes up for it with location. On the water in Historic Yorktown, you can walk to all the historic sites including the Battlefield and National Park. If you're going to the Yorktown Day celebration in October, this is absolutely the place to stay. Just make your reservation early. I've stayed here before and will continue to return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Motel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you very much. Look forward to your return
Tignall, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed on October 17-19th, the room was clean, quiet and had a wonderful view. The bed was comfortable. The restaurant was closed on the 17th, but open on the 18th and the food was delicious. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed our stay very much. Would go back again!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I booked a block of rooms in this hotel for my October 2012 wedding. This hotel was pretty cut and dry - nothing fancy. Great location, wonderful and helpful hotel staff, and one creepy room with a giant jacuzzi tub. You can't beat the fact that it's right across the street from the beach, a couple doors down from the Pub, and close to a cute coffee shop (which doesn't open until 11am). It's inexpensive and functional.

Room Tip: Just say NO to the room with the jacuzzi tub!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Motel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
I am sorry this guest felt this room was "creepy" . However, I do not understand what was meant by this term. Had they mentioned it when they checked out then perhaps it could be rectified.. Most newlywed couples thoroughly enjoy the jacuzzi room.
Bent mountain, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I am staying in a 3rd room with an excellent view of the Yorktown River. The room is spacious and clean. The Front desk staff are friendly and efficient. There is free wireless, a flat screen TV, microwave and large "mini fridge". The king size bed is very comfortable.

However, there are not enough electric outlets, I've had to unplug the microwave in order to plug in my PC. The table lamp next to the desk can not work if you want to use both the microwave and the coffee maker. The time in the clock next to the bed, wasn't set anywhere close to what the real time is.

But, I'm really here to enjoy historic Yorktown, VA and this is the perfect place to stay at night, It's right on the riverfront. You can watch the ships on the river. All parts of the historic town are within walking distance.

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the river ask for the 3rd or 4th floor or the units up on the hill.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Duke of York Motel? Share your experiences!