I'm writing this through the slow internet connection of my room in Duke of York motel. It's simply the worst m/hotel I've stayed at (and I've been to a lot of places).
1. The people here were nice and helped me with anything I needed. The cleaning people did their job well too.
2. The view is very pleasing and might be a good beach experience during a warmer season. Although it could be a lot less quiet than now (November).
3. It was very unpopulated (No wonder why! go to 'The bad' below).
The bad (everything else):
1. The rooms look old. To be fair, it's a 2-star place.
2. The bathroom feels old and rusty, water won't go down the drain (so good luck with the back-splashes when brushing your teeth).
3. There were tiny flying bugs in the bathroom
4. They assume you don't use the internet. No one will give you the password unless you ask, and the connection is slow.
5. there was a safe in the room but it didn't work.
6. The bed in the room was not the most comfortable (not supporting enough for me, it would cave in where I slept).
7. The mirror in the bathroom was old and broken at some edges.
8. The hair dryer was so old and had a lot of sticky stuff on the mesh. I was too disgusted to use it.
9. Last but definitely not least: All the above with a price tag of OVER A HUNDRED dollars per night.
Conclusion: I had a meeting at a nearby institution and I kind of had to stay here for two nights. I would have never stayed in (or paid that much for) a place like this myself. I understand the whole Colonial/Village/take-a-break spirit, but there has to be some sort of common sense as to the very basic needs of a traveller (e.g. the water has to go down the drain). I'm sure they get some referrals (=special rates) from nearby institutions to keep them afloat, but that's going to work for so long.
- Also Known As:
- Duke Of York Hotel Yorktown
- Duke Of York Hotel
- Duke York Yorktown
- Duke York Hotel Yorktown
- Duke Of York Yorktown
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family owned Hotel located in the center of Colonial Yorktown, Virginia. All rooms have a great view of the York River, from either private balconies or wide open verandas. Large courtyard area with shade trees overlooking the river.All rooms have refrigerators and microwaves. 20 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gradens, and 30 minutes to Jamestown. Locally famous restaurant on premises with many other dining choices within walking distance. We look forward to having you as our guest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Fareportal so you can book your Duke of York Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.