“Wonderful Location in Yorktown Va” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duke of York Hotel

You added Duke of York Hotel to your Saves list
Duke of York Hotel
508 Water Street, The Only Hotel in the Historic Village of Yorktown, VA, Yorktown, VA 23690   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Bent mountain, VA
“Wonderful Location in Yorktown Va”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I am staying in a 3rd room with an excellent view of the Yorktown River. The room is spacious and clean. The Front desk staff are friendly and efficient. There is free wireless, a flat screen TV, microwave and large "mini fridge". The king size bed is very comfortable.

However, there are not enough electric outlets, I've had to unplug the microwave in order to plug in my PC. The table lamp next to the desk can not work if you want to use both the microwave and the coffee maker. The time in the clock next to the bed, wasn't set anywhere close to what the real time is.

But, I'm really here to enjoy historic Yorktown, VA and this is the perfect place to stay at night, It's right on the riverfront. You can watch the ships on the river. All parts of the historic town are within walking distance.

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the river ask for the 3rd or 4th floor or the units up on the hill.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have read the previous reviews and I don't understand where they come up with dirty and rude. I have stayed several times and have not had a problem with any of the staff or the cleanliness. Any time I have stayed there I have had a pleaseant experience. I get tired of reading reviews for any service establishment stating the staff is rude when in fact the customers are the ones that could use a lesson in speaking with others. You treat others as you would like to be treated. I have stayed in numerous motels/hotels where guests feel as though they are entitled to get whatever they want just because they are staying the night there. In lobby of the Duke of York is the managers name clearly posted on a plague. If the guest was so interested in knowing the last name of the manager all she had to do was look. As far as the parking pass is concerned you can see that the Duke of York has limited parking. It also states in the lobby one parking pass per room.
The Duke of York is a local Mom and Pop establishment that is an icon for Yorktown. If you want the experience of a Marriott or a Hyatt then stay there.
I do agree that it could use some upgrades but all in all it is a nice place to stay and my family enjoys it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was the fourth year we have stayed at this Motel in an attempt to be responsible adults and not driving after attending the Wine Festival Yorktown River Walk sponsors every year. The Motel is right on the beach and works great as far as having somewhere to stay after spending the day at the Wine Fest. Unfortunately we truly stay here out of necessity and if I ever need a place to stay for business or pleasure it will not be at the Duke of York Motel. Every year they tell us how they "cannot" give more than one parking pass regardless of how many times we have stayed at their hotel. When we asked for a late check out we were told, "we are NOT giving any late check outs this weekend." With an emphasis on NOT. They truly go out of their way to let you know what they will and will not do. In past years we have been told they don't give extra towels or pillows either. Very, very unaccomodating if these folks are in the business of providing overnight stays to tourists and the like. As I knew it was pointless to complain to the front desk clerk I asked for a business card for the General Manager as I was going to write a letter. I was told, "we don't have that." When I asked for the General Manager's name I was told, "her name is Ruth." I then asked for a last name and phone number and was told "by law" they don't give her last name. Suprisingly enough about two minutes later, Ruth emerged from her office in the back after overhearing this conversation. I told her how unaccomodating her staff was the weekend we stayed as well as past stays. She started with an attitude by telling us straight out of the gate they teach their staff not to give out last names because it is against the law. I have never heard of such a thing and let her know the attitudes of her staff clearlt emulate her attitude. She quickly responded that she felt she did not have the attitude. Not that you need to tell a customer how you feel when a customer is illiciting feedback to your establishment. I have NEVER in all my years of traveling heard it is against the law to give the last name of a General Manager??? When you stay at a reputable establishment such as a Marriott or Hampton Inn, there are business cards of upper management available at the front desk as they encourage feedback about your stay. I also learned from the front desk clerk that there is no public property available for purchase around the beach area for another hotel to be built so obviously the Duke of York Motel has the monopoly in this area if you desire a stay close to the beach. I did see a lovely B & B up the street and in future years I will certainly make the walk as to not give these folks another dime of my money. I will say the Restaraunt located on the bottom floor is delightful and I highly recommend a visit to this Restaraunt. The food is unbelievable!! I need to remember the name of this Restaraunt so I can give my positive feedback in a separate Trip Advisor Review in order to be completely fair. I do wish they would disassociate themselves with the hotel because the food and attitudes of their staff are completely opposite. I did learn the Restaraunt is not owned by the same Company that owns the hotel which is clearly obvious. Certainly if you want to spend money spend your money at the restaraunt. However if you decide to spend $130 a night for the hotel expect poor service, outdated furniture, lumpy bedding and poorly serviced ammenities. I would recommend trying other local B & B's or go up the road a few miles and find a nice Hampton Inn, Marriott property or even a Holiday Inn Express far exceeds service standards at the Duke of York.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the water are nice as long as you stay on the balcony and don't look at your r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
yorklady, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
We truly apologize you felt that the staff was not very accommodating to your needs. Unfortunately , there are only enough parking spaces to have 1 parking permit per room when the hotel is full as it is on the day of the Wine Festival. This policy is also posted on the door as you enter the hotel. Regarding pillows and towels , we have them at the front desk and I have no idea who would have told you differently. There is a plaque hanging in the lobby with the owner's and general manager's full name on it. Regarding late checkouts, we do give them when possible , however, when the hotel is full, housekeeping needs to get in the rooms to prepare them for incoming guests.
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The motel is in a nice location; right across the street from the "beach"; very close to several good pub-like restaurants; within walking distance to historic Yorktown sites; and very close to the Yorktown Riverwalk where shops and more restaurants are located. We were advised we couldn't check in until 1pm; check in was fine - some of the front desk staff are more courteous than others. We were on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the beach and the York River. View was very nice. Room itself was dated - could use some upgraded beds, furniture and carpeting. Carpeting was typical beach front worn. Furniture was worn and bed matresses were soft and lumpy. Linens were for the most part clean and fresh. Bedspreads were worn and looked old. Bathroom was fine - nice soaps and ok shampoo provided. Plenty of hot water in the showers. Plenty of towels and washcloths provided; most were fresh; some were pemanently stained. TV was old. Room had two double beds, a mini-refrigerator; small microwave, 2 chairs, and a table. Two pastic chairs were on the balcony. Never went to or even saw where the pool was. We took the sunset cruise on the Alliance Schooner which was docked right outside the hotel; trip was nice, but could use some improvement. The beach in front of the hotel had nice sand; lots of cigerette butts all over the place - but they did clean the beach with a machine regularly. Water (York River) was cool, and was ideal for little kids...no waves and very gradual decline. Did see some jellyfish in the water, even though they have nets up in the water. Hotel restaurant (Island Cafe by day; and River View at night) was great for breakfast; terrible for lunch; and drew a big crowd for dinner. Ice machine in the hallway for use of guests. The location and the beachfront balcony is the best thing about the Duke of York Motel; cleaning staff works hard, and it is appreciated!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I wanted a relaxed romantic weekend by the shore. The hotel was great. Friendly accomodating staff, clean room, nice pool, and great balcony to sit on in the evenings and watch the water.

There is a nice sandy beach and a couple of good restaurants.

Our only complant is that the bed was very squeaky. It kept me up when my husbad would move in his sleep. We probably could have asked for another room, but had already moved all of our things in.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This motel has character. It is located across the street from a pleasant sandy beach with a relaxed and fun vibe. The motel is older but totally cute and charming. Check in was super easy. The lady was so friendly and informal. The room was a bit dated, but so what? Vinyl instead of marble...but sparkling clean. Very clean bathroom, simple faucets, lots of water. The beds were comfy; we slept like babies. There is an elevator on one side of the building...but we took the stairs and were in and out in a jiffy. Within walking distance are excellent eateries as well as good coffee. This motel has the feel of a 60s beach resort with good vibrations and summertime fun. And the price was very reasonable. I wish we could stay longer.

Room Tip: If you absolutely need an elevator, ask for a room on that side. Otherwise you coud have a hike.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
skurfa, Public Relations Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of the Duke of York Hotel, Historic Yorktown's beachfront Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again when you are in the area.
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I am not picky--I travel to developing countries and can deal with many different processes.We wanted to stay here, and the website said that it was booked. I called instead to see if there were any rooms and made a reservation with no problem, until I asked for an email confirmation--just something to have since they took very little information over the phone. I was told to call back in the morning and the manager Ruth would send one to. I called back the next morning--same number--and requested an email confirmation from the manager. Was told "we don't do that hon." When I asked, "you don't send emails to your customers?" she again replied, "we don't do email." When I told her I wanted to cancel, she didn't seem to care at all--and I was not rude. This might seem silly, but having an email has saved me in the past when smaller hotels lose reservations. I have had great service from really tiny and modest places, and am just really tired of apathetic service. I guess they are so full they don't care. Off to another place.

Room Tip: Didn't even end up staying there. If the reservation service is an indicator of the stay, we we...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!