“Nice visit.” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Monuments/ Statues, Nature/ Wildlife Areas
Activities: Driving, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The unusual rock formations at this popular hiking site were caused by a massive volcanic eruption 27 million years ago.
Escondido, California
55 attraction reviews
“Nice visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This site has no gasoline stations near it, so make sure your tank has sufficient gas. Chiricahua National Monument is located approximately 240 miles from Phoenix, and around 120 miles from Tucson. You take Interstate 10 to the Willcox exit. You then travel 3 miles into Willcox and turn right at the stoplight. Follow Arizona State Highway 186 for 32 miles to the junction of Arizona State Highway 181. Turn left, and you will be at the Chiricahua entrance station in 4 miles. There are posted signs along the roadway after you get off I-10 directing you to Chiricahua National Monument. When my girlfriend and I were here last week, there was a little snow on the ground. We asked a ranger if they ever shut down this national monument because of severe weather, and the answer was yes! As you proceed along the scenic drive to the top, you will see beautiful rock formations and awesome scenery of the valleys below. At the very top of the drive, it is quite cold and windy in February. There are many trials to hike at this monument if you are so inclined. By the way, there are clean bathrooms located at the visitor's center.

Indianapolis
24 attraction reviews
“If you like rock formations, you must go!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were unable to spend as much time there as I would have liked, but did the Echo Loop Trail, which was excellent with rock formations, many of which you could quite believe were still standing, in great abundance. The staff at the visitor center was also very helpful and we stayed for one of their programs before leaving.

north east CA
12 attraction reviews
“Stunningly Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is a wonderful place to visit and go hiking. From Bonita Canyon and Faraway Ranch to the amazing and stunning rock formations. The first time I visited I was alone and it was very inspiring to me, in fact I loved it so much I returned with my husband and friends on another trip. It is a day trip (about an hour) from Tombstone AZ also, which is a plus since I love going to Tombstone. You drive through all this ugly (to me) desert into this wonderland of trees, water and rock formations. Cochise Head rock is not to be missed! There is a fee to get in, but if you have a National Parks Pass that will work. It is called a Monument, but it is about 12,000 acres. Bring good hiking shoes and water. I've been there in Feb, and I can tell you first hand it snows there! The elevation is around 5,000 ft.

Visited March 2012
London, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This park contains enormous stone columns, with rocks precariously balanced looking like they are about to topple over at any second. As spectacular as Bryce National Park, but without the orange colour.
We approached Chiricahua from Wilcox, a very pleasant drive in itself. Within the Monument, we drove to Massai Point and then walked. The walking is varied, so should suit most people. We loved the fact that we could get 'close and personal' with the rocks rather than observing from a distance. We visited in December and had the monument to ourselves. We enjoyed the solitude, but also found it sad that such a magnificent place didn't have more visitors.
If you enjoy walking and taking in the scenery,then a whole day can be spent here easily. Bring food and drink with you.

Visited December 2012
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
45 attraction reviews
“Locals told us to Go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

OMG we were there in early Feb. A nice drive from Wilcox across the high grass desert pasture land. When we entered the Park at the Visitor's Center, it was like we were in another realm (and we were !!) Very nice Center, helpful staff. As we drove up the park road, it just kept getting better and better. We CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS HIGHLY ENOUGH. Wish we had several days to do more. But if nothing else, go to Echo Canyon and do the Grotto Trail...it's an up and back and well marked, but you'll never forget the sights you'll see.