“Perfect every time...” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
“Perfect every time...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012 via mobile

Once a week...never fails to exceed my expectations. Golf Pro HandRoll is AMAZING!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Camarillo, California
“Lots of vegetarian options. Primarily a sushi restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I don't eat meat or fish, so this review is about the vegetarian options I tried. I realize that the quality of the fish is one of the most important factors in how good a sushi restaurant is. So this review is not about that.

This restaurant is in a mini mall. It is a typical California sushi place, with a counter and some tables. Not too formal. I was surprised at how crowded this place was early. I was there just after they opened at 11:30, and almost every table was occupied by the end of my meal. They have several types of sushi rolls, including hand rolls, baked rolls, and tempura rolls. From the looks of the menu, many items are non-traditional, but they have traditional style sushi too I think. The choices were pretty imaginative, and there were lots of them. Prices seemed average. I tried the tempura vegetable rolls, which is just like it sounds. It comes with a sweet sauce on it already, which I had mixed feelings about. I also had the fried tofu, which was good. Its lightly battered and served in a sweet tempura style dipping sauce. I also tried the gobo (pickles?), but I am not sure if it was really gobo or pickled carrot. Anyway, it was tasty, but not what I expected. Service was very good. This was a good restaurant and I would like to try some more menu items.

Visited January 2012
London
“Good sushi. Shame they serve bluefin tuna.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Sit at the bar, not at a table, to get free, fantastic seaweed salad.

The sushi here is pretty good, but, as with most sushi places in America, I get very annoyed to see that they are happily selling many types of endangered fish, and don't give a second thought to sustainable fishing. I would eat a LOT more sushi if I knew where it had come from. Shame on you, American sushi restaurants!

Visited October 2011
Downham Market, United Kingdom
“Quality Sushi in clean environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is my "go to place" when I have a sushi craving! It's quite popular so be prepared for a short wait if you arrive at peak times. The staff are very friendly, service is good and I really enjoy their sushi. My particular favourite is their huge sashimi salad. I don't go for the atmosphere though. It isn't that sort of place.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxnard, California
“Pretty good Sushi, but after the last two visits, we arent going back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This place is probably one of the better Sushi places around Ventura.Unfortunately, and it pains me to say it since I thought we may have found our new spot, but we wont be going back. The past two visits were ATROCIOUS! The time before last, we sat at the bar and got the dreaded " skinny angry balding dude." Thats what we named him before we even sat at his bar because he always looked like the last thing he wanted to be doing was making sushi. When we finally got him as our Chef, he lived up to his mystique.Barely even looked at us, and said nothing as he handed us the food. No problem, maybe he was having a bad...year? The last time we went I witnessed something so impossibly, utterly disturbing that I finished my Roll,(which to be honest was unusually warm for raw Tuna) told my Lady we needed to bail, and will never go back. One of the chefs( also balding, older, wears one of those lame "power balance" bracelets on his right arm) seriously had a coughing/hacking Fit!! Didnt bother to turn his head away from the counter, just hacked into his hands, licked his lips a couple times, blinked his eyes, and went right back to crafting somebody's roll. With his BARE hands. No Soap and water. Didnt even pretend to wash his hands. I honestly would have gotten up and left without paying had it been my roll he was preparing. I planned on doing the courteous thing and privately contact the owner through email about his Chef's actions, but the place is apparently so archaic that they dont even have an email link on their website.Its evident they dont truly value any customer feedback and are unaware/unconcerned with public health or internet reviews. If you do venture through those doors, stay away from the disgusting Balding duo or plan on squirting hand sanitizer onto your bluefin tuna roll.

• Visited September 2011