“Close to many things - Far from Few” 4 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Ventura
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   756 E Thompson Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Atascadero, California
“Close to many things - Far from Few”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ok here you go! A little older, but not too old, with GREAT maintenance - I mean great. Tiles, rugs, door, paint very very good. newer microwave and fridge. TV could have been newer (no a flat) but was fine. excellent shower head and towels. close to everything. Just clean, nicw , polite staff, and I would come back! and the goodies on the breakfast bar were all baked in old edna bakery very cool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thanks Charlie! Or should I say neighbor! I don't know you, but we both appreciate Edna's Bakery in SLO Town. We are getting flat screen TV's. We already have some, and will be getting more this month. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lancaster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I came to town at the very last moment for a bicycle race. I looked at quit a few places to stay (as I wanted the least expensive just to rest for the evening). I stopped and met Gary Baker at the front desk of this hotel, he was so polite and inviting I didn't need to keep looking just to save a few extra dollars. I asked if his on site restaurant was good (I was really hungry and didn't want to do any more driving) and he said "of course they're very good", that was an understatement...it was EXCELLENT food and great service just as he said. The room was very clean, orderly, neat and plenty comfortable as well, even very close to the beach in which he pointed out to me and I walked to after dinner before bed. I have never taken the time to do a survey, but in this case really wanted to give my input for the great service this establishment showed to me, as the few places I have ever used have never been so polite with such a great feeling of hospitality as well. If you happen to be reading this survey looking for a nice, quite comfortable place to stay in Ventura with wonderful hospitality, a great on site restaurant, you have found it. I do this bike race ever year and will gladly stay with them for this and other events through the year. Thank you very much for the wonderful experience and hospitality you showed me Gary Baker, I was very pleased with my stay and great value as well. I hope to see you next time I visit Ventura, Scott.

Room Tip: It seemed all the rooms were nice, it looked like the south facing rooms have a view of the ocean
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks Scott! It makes me very happy when someone mentions one of our staff by name. He deserves recognition for a job well done. I will print your review and give him a copy. We hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while a concert was on. The manager at the vagabond couldn't have been more helpful; even though we booked late, we were still given a discount.

The location of the vagabond is fantastic: it is a 5 minute stroll to the pier and to downtown. While it is a little dated, the rooms were spotlessly clean and the service was excellent. For $150, it's a bargain.

Highly recommended.

Some other reviewers spoke of noise and unsavoury characters. Even though there was a heavy metal concert in town and the hotel was at full capacity, we didn't hear a peep all night, not did we feel threatened in any way.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for the review! We really appreciate it. I hope you can come again.
Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Vagabond's location is great...right across the pedestrian bridge from the beach and pier...lots of shops and restaurants closeby. The staff was very friendly and helpful...pool and hot tub were very welcome after the long drive from Las Vegas. The room was clean and comfortable. Our stay was very enjoyable and were able to get an early start on the next leg of our journey. If we were staying in the area longer, we would have been happy to spend more nights here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks Matt! We hope you get a chance to come again and stay longer!
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The location of the Vagabond Inn is its best feature. It's just outside the heart of downtown, and just across the 101 from the Beach. You can really walk to anywhere you'd want to be in Ventura from here. If you are carrying a lot, though, for a full day at the beach, you'd probably be better off driving over to the parking garage.

The Vagabond Inn was clean and everything worked well. The bed was comfy. The parking lot was crowded and it was hard to get a spot. The hotel was so full it took us about a half an hour to check in. It seemed like the hotel was full and there were people everywhere ready to party. It was a little chaotic. There was a continental breakfast offered, but it wasn't so nice - coffee and prepackaged pastries.

The price was moderate for the area ($139). We would stay here again, but I think we'd try the Best Western right next door next time, it is usually in the same price range, but it was booked for the night we stayed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are glad that you gave us a try. The Best Western is a great place to stay, but does not allow pets. For some people, that is a good thing! We have been very busy here lately, kind of a present surprise to see how many people are coming to Ventura. Hopefully we will see you again soon, either here or next door.
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent six days, five nights in Ventura and chose the Vagabond Inn because of its proximity to the beach and its pet-friendly policy.We were pleasantly surprised at the room, which was cute and clean and a great value for the price (remember to get your AAA discount if you are a member). There was also a full-sized pool, a jacuzzi and a little "pet park/potty place" in the middle of the property (doggie dropping bags also provided).. The restaurant on the property had a great steak and egg breakfast special--it was delicious! The housekeeping staff made us feel like a king and queen; the room was tidied up, the toiletries and towels restocked, and coffee/tea, etc. daily, and they always gave a friendly greeting (thank you MerryAnn, Eva and Carmen R).

There is a foot bridge at the back of the property that crosses over the freeway and drops you out right in front of the Ventura pier. The beach was clean and uncrowded; and, it had a full side that was open to dogs (but, must be on leash as it is a state beach). There are also two restaurants on the pier that offer reasonably priced seafood and tacos. .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of our property here in Ventura. I't always nigh to hear from our guests and get their impressions of the hotel and the area. I will pass your comments on to MerryAnn, Eva and Carmen!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have stayed here four times, it is not fancy, but it is clean, easy to find, it allows well behaved pets which I have a great dog who is very obedient, close to the pier, and instead of staying with family and being in a tiny bed, we get privacy and good king bed!.

Room Tip: There is a train track nearby so FYI.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks Auntie Gail! We are glad you stay with us when visiting your family here.

Been to Vagabond Inn Ventura? Share your experiences!