“Very Comfortable, Clean and Quiet” 5 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Ventura
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   756 E Thompson Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Los Angeles, California
“Very Comfortable, Clean and Quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This my personal favorite hotel in Ventura for my regular business trips.
The staff is very helpful and I really like the location being so close to the restaurants and shops in the downtown area.
It's quiet at night, the beds are comfy, the familys with children have fun by the pool and it's nice to see dogs are allowed.
My personal favorite housekeeper is Delores, she's as nice as can be and very accomodating to my schedule. Dan G. and Robert A., the maintenance men are always there for you to help with heavy luggage. as well.
Desk staff is good and very helpful with directions around town.
I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Boy! I think you made more than a couple of my employees very happy with your kind comments. I will print this out and show it to them. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

A one night stay was enough in this hotel. One of he regulars spent an hour shouting due to someone parking in front of his motorbike. He finally got some ones attention and sorted it out with some more shouting. I spoke to another guy who on recognising my English accent showed me his made in England tattoo, written across his stomach. Another guy with a pitbull spent ten minutes trying to stare me out just before breakfast.

It took a while to get checked in as someone else was having issues but the guy on reception was friendly. Not so much the woman in the morning.

The room was standard fair. Very dated and not that clean. Breakfast was very lack lustre and served in reception. Not ideal when there was nowhere to sit and your room is not close. Stupidly, there is a restaurant attached to the entrance of the hotel but they can't work out a deal to get breakfast included from there.

There was a heated pool which people were using and looked quite inviting.

Overall, I would not stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. We appreciate hearing from everyone, the good, and the bad. Sometimes we have a whole bunch of great guests, and then sometimes we get some that are not so great. We try to evict anyone causing problems, and/or we do not let them stay over a second night if we know about it. I'm sorry your stay was unpleasant. If you care to contact me, possibly we can make things right for you.
ELIZABETH LAKE, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

When we got to the hotel 10/13 after 3pm, the room was still not ready. :( The young girl not wearing a name tag, did not greet us w/ her name (long black hair). I felt she was a bit incompetent for the front desk and felt like we were wasting her time.

The room 236 was very musty for an non-smoking room. So we opened the window for the fresh air, (later on that night) only to close it after listing to the drunken loudness of "bro...get me another beer" for hours! I thought we could turn on the air conditioner...sadly it did not work! The chairs were -grossly stained and unusable. The bath tub was clogged when taking a shower -another disappointment for a room that cost $135. The only positive was the bed.

I would not recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the pool are Party time!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the review. That weekend was the Highland Seaside games at the county fair grounds just a few blocks away. I checked the maintenance logs to see if we had any reports of the air conditioning not working. I didn't see anything, but am sending maintenance to that room right now to check it. Our rooms each have individual air conditioning units and can be controlled by the guest for their comfort. The thermostat is located in the guest room on the same wall as the television. The air conditioning unit can not be controlled by using the controls on the unit itself. If the a/c is working in that room, perhaps we need to post a sign on the a/c unit that directs the guest to the thermostat . I appreciate your comments. If you would like to contact me, I will send you a coupon for a discount on your next stay.
West Covina, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here during the Seaside Games October 13 and 14. Room was clean and comfortable. No problems checking in. When we ran out of regular coffee, the office clerk went out of her way to get us some more packets. We didn't try the continental breakfast, but the cafe next door has wonderful food. We had two dinners and one breakfast there and were completely satisfied each time. All in all, a most pleasant weekend stay! Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the nice review. That was a crazy weekend! The Highland Seaside Games is a Scottish/Celtic Festival that brings out many colorful people ready for a fun filled weekend. It is not unusual to see award-winning bagpipers practicing on the lawn by the pool. We hope to see you here again next year!
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

As I paid 77 US dollars for one night I was expecting to have a decent breakfast. It was ridiculous! The train passes close so you can hear it at times but it wasn't a problem. The room has wifi which was good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We do not advertise that we serve breakfast, however we do offer a Continental Breakfast that includes pastries and fruit. I have noticed that some 3rd party websites say that we offer breakfast. I will try to get those corrected if I can. We are looking at the Continental Breakfast issue. We used to serve bagels, cream cheese, toast, butter, cream and milk, but the City of Ventura now has a policy that we can not give out anything that is not individually packaged, and we can not give out anything that requires refrigeration. The reason for this is because we do not have a commercial kitchen on the hotel side of the driveway. Even though the restaurant has the kitchen, we are separated by a driveway, so the City will not allow us to give out anything more. One of our concerns is the cost of adding a commercial kitchen and expanding the lobby area to include an eating area. We are analyzing the pros and cons. We are able to compete at a better price because our breakfast cost is low.
Lubbock, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hello guys, First, you have to know this. I'm a forigner guy from S.Korea. maybe some spell wrong.
I used this hotel 10/05/12 . Before the story, you can get some good information.
Wi-fi was so so, and breakfast was not much good and even chair was only two. and
restroom was soso, place is near the huge type. pool was so nice and huge, spa was very nice It was soooooo good
Now I'll start the story, that I got happen. Maybe, you can get some information about service.
My father was reservate here in priceline.
But a man who work in Priceline got miss so, we got big problem.
All of my familly not much good at English, So we ask some help to desk. but the desk lady(old grammy) didn't gave some good answer and even act not kindly. At last, She told us when tommorow morning, you can get some help. so we just sleep. and morning. we went front.
and we met another person, Jenny. she did all of things for us. Even she call to priceline and made a good answer. I got very impressed about her service, and I'm so glad that some American act do themself like her. This travel(to U.S.) was the First time of my life, and this travel make me get good image about Americans.
Any way, JEnny, Thank you Sooooooooooooooooooooooo Much~!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for mentioning Jenny and her helpfulness to you concerning your reservation through Priceline. Sometimes it's difficult working through a 3rd party website, but we try our best to accommodate our guest as well as possible. We are happy that the matter was resolved to your satisfaction.
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was in Ventura at the end of September 2012 for an event at the big hotel on the beach, expenses paid. I flew into Santa Barbara (yes, red tile roof in line with SD tradition) and came a day early to enjoy the town. With a little searching (thanks to the Visitors Center) I found what I was hoping for: a place to stay near the beach without the LA and beach rates (an extra night at the big hotel was way more than my budget). I luckily got a newly upgraded room at the Vagabond Inn a couple of blocks off the beach. Manager Gary Baker was eager to explain the history of the motel and wanted to know how I liked the upgraded room ("great" by me). I got a great diner-style meal at the cafe right next door, then got in an evening surf at a long peeling, easy going break. A foot bridge originates at the quiet street behind the Vagabond and allows easy access to the Pier and the beach. This quiet street is also home to the world famous surfboards created by Steve Waldon. Check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review! I will pass your comments along to Gary. This is an excellent surf area and there are several surf contests here each year. Walden Surfboards is just one block from the hotel, located at 853 E. Front Street.
Most surfers active in the early 80s will remember the foam work of Steve Walden, one of the real innovators in the longboard resurrection. The Turbo Hull, the Magic Model, aluminum-rod stringer strips, chines, popped rocker, Mylar bottoms, reverse wings -- Walden was all over the place in a quest for modern longboard performance. At the extreme minimum, he was one of the two or three architects of the modern longboard. Did he just disappear? Not quite. Always a top-notch surfer (he holds the all-time clocked noseride record of 25 seconds), Steve is still a consistent stand-out in the longboard contest scene. He's in Ventura, CA.

Been to Vagabond Inn Ventura? Share your experiences!