“Thank you Jenny!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Lubbock, Texas, United States
“Thank you Jenny!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hello guys, First, you have to know this. I'm a forigner guy from S.Korea. maybe some spell wrong.
I used this hotel 10/05/12 . Before the story, you can get some good information.
Wi-fi was so so, and breakfast was not much good and even chair was only two. and
restroom was soso, place is near the huge type. pool was so nice and huge, spa was very nice It was soooooo good
Now I'll start the story, that I got happen. Maybe, you can get some information about service.
My father was reservate here in priceline.
But a man who work in Priceline got miss so, we got big problem.
All of my familly not much good at English, So we ask some help to desk. but the desk lady(old grammy) didn't gave some good answer and even act not kindly. At last, She told us when tommorow morning, you can get some help. so we just sleep. and morning. we went front.
and we met another person, Jenny. she did all of things for us. Even she call to priceline and made a good answer. I got very impressed about her service, and I'm so glad that some American act do themself like her. This travel(to U.S.) was the First time of my life, and this travel make me get good image about Americans.
Any way, JEnny, Thank you Sooooooooooooooooooooooo Much~!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for mentioning Jenny and her helpfulness to you concerning your reservation through Priceline. Sometimes it's difficult working through a 3rd party website, but we try our best to accommodate our guest as well as possible. We are happy that the matter was resolved to your satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was in Ventura at the end of September 2012 for an event at the big hotel on the beach, expenses paid. I flew into Santa Barbara (yes, red tile roof in line with SD tradition) and came a day early to enjoy the town. With a little searching (thanks to the Visitors Center) I found what I was hoping for: a place to stay near the beach without the LA and beach rates (an extra night at the big hotel was way more than my budget). I luckily got a newly upgraded room at the Vagabond Inn a couple of blocks off the beach. Manager Gary Baker was eager to explain the history of the motel and wanted to know how I liked the upgraded room ("great" by me). I got a great diner-style meal at the cafe right next door, then got in an evening surf at a long peeling, easy going break. A foot bridge originates at the quiet street behind the Vagabond and allows easy access to the Pier and the beach. This quiet street is also home to the world famous surfboards created by Steve Waldon. Check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review! I will pass your comments along to Gary. This is an excellent surf area and there are several surf contests here each year. Walden Surfboards is just one block from the hotel, located at 853 E. Front Street.
Most surfers active in the early 80s will remember the foam work of Steve Walden, one of the real innovators in the longboard resurrection. The Turbo Hull, the Magic Model, aluminum-rod stringer strips, chines, popped rocker, Mylar bottoms, reverse wings -- Walden was all over the place in a quest for modern longboard performance. At the extreme minimum, he was one of the two or three architects of the modern longboard. Did he just disappear? Not quite. Always a top-notch surfer (he holds the all-time clocked noseride record of 25 seconds), Steve is still a consistent stand-out in the longboard contest scene. He's in Ventura, CA.
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

On 9/22/12 my friend and I stayed at the Vagabond Inn Ventura. The next morning I kept complaining to my friend about bug bites that were appearing on my hand, wrist and arm. She said that they are probably mosquito bites, but throughout the day, more and more bites were showing all over my body from my neck to my toes. I started getting very upset because the bites became extremely itchy and uncomfortable. I called my friend who shared the hotel room with me and I asked her if she had any bites and she noticed that she did have bites starting to show up all over too. After researching to make sure that it was bed bug bites, I called the hotel and I told the front desk agent what had happened. She took my information down and said I would have to call again the next morning to talk to Amy, the manager. I called in the morning and I spoke with Amy. I told her what had happened and that I want a full refund. She was not friendly and did not apologize for what had happened. In fact, she sounded annoyed with me. She told me she would have the hotel refund me the money the next day, but she said it in a rude manner. She acted like she should be the one that is irritated. I am glad that they are giving me a refund, but as someone who has worked in the hotel industry, I do not appreciate the way the manager handled the situation.

Room Tip: If you stay here, check the room carefully before you go to bed. Check the headboard and the corner...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
I'm very sorry that you encountered problems with my staff. Amy is not the manager. I was on Vacation, and with me gone, the night clerk didn't know what to do. She asked you to call back and left a message for the morning clerk. The morning clerk called the Front Desk Manager (Juanita) and asked her what to do. I'm very sorry that you had an unfortunate experience here, but glad that you brought this to my attention. I called a meeting with the front desk staff and addressed this issue with everyone and we now have a policy in place if this ever happen again. I have called Terminex out to check the room and treat it. I will contact you directly by phone or e-mail. I hope you are willing to come back and let us make this up to you.
Maronee Baker, GM
socal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

room was comfortable, quiet enough, simple continental breakfast did have fresh fruit. I like that it had windows that opened, and the bathroom windows could be left open safely, on the second floor at least. Pool was clean on Friday but by Saturday had a lot of sand in it, not too bad though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderful review. We actually strive to be a more family "at home" style hotel here in Ventura. Most of our guests are "regulars" and have been coming for many years. Most of the staff here has been here for many years as well. We hope to see you again, and maybe you'll get to stay longer next time. The restaurant has been run by the same family for over 45 years and has a great reputation.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I chose to stay in Ventura to get a head start to LAX from Santa Barbara. I found a great rate online, so I figured... 'One night, in by 8pm - out by 9am' ... why not!
I wasn't expecting much, but was actually pleasantly surprised! On this trip I stayed in a 4 Star Westin near LAX and a mid-range boutique hotel in Santa Barbara and maybe it's just me... (I was traveling alone .. I felt so 'at home' at this hotel! The bed was comfy, the room was clean .. wifi was excellent. and the grounds were well-maintained.
I wasn't there long enough to try the attached restaurant, or the pool... but both looked pretty inviting!
Don't expect 4 star breakfast, linens and decor. But for the money, this was a good spot!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while visiting Santa Barbara and the surrounding area. Room was large,clean and quiet. Ventura is small but has some lovely wine tasting rooms and tapas bars. Breakfast in the hotel was as others have said...fruit and packaged bread are not my thing so we didn't partake. Hotel is far better value than others in the area and for a base to see the area it's perfect!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Warburton, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Our first stay at a Vagabond. Three weeks of Holiday Inn, Best Western or Comfort Inn

Vagabond is a big step down. Room small, check in was an inconvenience to staff and the breakfast comes in a plastic packet.

Every surface in the bedroom was stained. The best thing was the bathroom. Looked thru the bathroom window to watch the homeless begin their day.

Overall not a very nice stay.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Vagabond Inn Ventura? Share your experiences!