“Bed Bugs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Santa Barbara, California
“Bed Bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

On 9/22/12 my friend and I stayed at the Vagabond Inn Ventura. The next morning I kept complaining to my friend about bug bites that were appearing on my hand, wrist and arm. She said that they are probably mosquito bites, but throughout the day, more and more bites were showing all over my body from my neck to my toes. I started getting very upset because the bites became extremely itchy and uncomfortable. I called my friend who shared the hotel room with me and I asked her if she had any bites and she noticed that she did have bites starting to show up all over too. After researching to make sure that it was bed bug bites, I called the hotel and I told the front desk agent what had happened. She took my information down and said I would have to call again the next morning to talk to Amy, the manager. I called in the morning and I spoke with Amy. I told her what had happened and that I want a full refund. She was not friendly and did not apologize for what had happened. In fact, she sounded annoyed with me. She told me she would have the hotel refund me the money the next day, but she said it in a rude manner. She acted like she should be the one that is irritated. I am glad that they are giving me a refund, but as someone who has worked in the hotel industry, I do not appreciate the way the manager handled the situation.

Room Tip: If you stay here, check the room carefully before you go to bed. Check the headboard and the corner...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
I'm very sorry that you encountered problems with my staff. Amy is not the manager. I was on Vacation, and with me gone, the night clerk didn't know what to do. She asked you to call back and left a message for the morning clerk. The morning clerk called the Front Desk Manager (Juanita) and asked her what to do. I'm very sorry that you had an unfortunate experience here, but glad that you brought this to my attention. I called a meeting with the front desk staff and addressed this issue with everyone and we now have a policy in place if this ever happen again. I have called Terminex out to check the room and treat it. I will contact you directly by phone or e-mail. I hope you are willing to come back and let us make this up to you.
Maronee Baker, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
socal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

room was comfortable, quiet enough, simple continental breakfast did have fresh fruit. I like that it had windows that opened, and the bathroom windows could be left open safely, on the second floor at least. Pool was clean on Friday but by Saturday had a lot of sand in it, not too bad though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. We actually strive to be a more family "at home" style hotel here in Ventura. Most of our guests are "regulars" and have been coming for many years. Most of the staff here has been here for many years as well. We hope to see you again, and maybe you'll get to stay longer next time. The restaurant has been run by the same family for over 45 years and has a great reputation.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I chose to stay in Ventura to get a head start to LAX from Santa Barbara. I found a great rate online, so I figured... 'One night, in by 8pm - out by 9am' ... why not!
I wasn't expecting much, but was actually pleasantly surprised! On this trip I stayed in a 4 Star Westin near LAX and a mid-range boutique hotel in Santa Barbara and maybe it's just me... (I was traveling alone .. I felt so 'at home' at this hotel! The bed was comfy, the room was clean .. wifi was excellent. and the grounds were well-maintained.
I wasn't there long enough to try the attached restaurant, or the pool... but both looked pretty inviting!
Don't expect 4 star breakfast, linens and decor. But for the money, this was a good spot!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while visiting Santa Barbara and the surrounding area. Room was large,clean and quiet. Ventura is small but has some lovely wine tasting rooms and tapas bars. Breakfast in the hotel was as others have said...fruit and packaged bread are not my thing so we didn't partake. Hotel is far better value than others in the area and for a base to see the area it's perfect!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Warburton, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Our first stay at a Vagabond. Three weeks of Holiday Inn, Best Western or Comfort Inn

Vagabond is a big step down. Room small, check in was an inconvenience to staff and the breakfast comes in a plastic packet.

Every surface in the bedroom was stained. The best thing was the bathroom. Looked thru the bathroom window to watch the homeless begin their day.

Overall not a very nice stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel has everything I wanted, a clean and comfortable room for a good price (with wifi, breakfast and parking included). However, having stayed at this chain before and always been happy, I was disappointed with this hotel. Breakfast is served in the reception area - there is just apples, oatmeal, coffee / tea and pastries - on a table but nowhere to sit and eat them - you have to go back to your room. They serve oatmeal, teas and coffee's but have no milk. (I have noticed that milk is not regularly available with teas and coffee's here in the US- but have never had it not served with cereal). However, when enquiring about this, I had the unfortunate experience of being confronted by a female member of staff with no customer service skills who told me in no uncertain terms, that I had to have it with water or go and buy milk.

I feel this is a real shame as I don't expect much, I know they are budget hotels and I'm not expecting silver service or a full cooked breakfast but I think milk and a choice of fruits / yoghurts / cereals is a basic breakfast, and has been available in every other hotel I've been in. And they really need to sort out this member of staff as all the other members in this establishment were lovely and she let the hotel down with her abrupt, unfriendly nature.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are looking at the Continental Breakfast issue. We used to serve bagels, cream cheese, toast, butter, cream and milk, but the City of Ventura now has a policy that we can not give out anything that is not individually packaged, and we can not give out anything that requires refrigeration. The reason for this is because we do not have a commercial kitchen on the hotel side of the driveway. Even though the restaurant has the kitchen, we are separated by a driveway, so the City will not allow us to give out anything more. One of our concerns is the cost of adding a commercial kitchen and expanding the lobby area to include an eating area. We are analyzing the pros and cons. We are able to compete at a better price because our breakfast cost is low. If you contact me with the date you stayed, I can address the front desk agent that was rude to you. Thanks again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again.
Saline, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

We chose the Vagebond Inn for the price after extending our trip to Santa Barbara. We couldn't afford the $200+ a night there anymore. We spent 3 nights.

I was worried about the amount of dogs staying there, but never heard anything. The beds were new. Microwave and good size fridge was a bonus.

Hot tub was hot and a nice way to spool down.

• Stayed August 2012
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. This is a great place to stay if Santa Barbara is on your itinerary. We are about a half hour away, but the drive there and back is beautiful, along the California Coastline. With the money you save, you can enjoy nice dinners and maybe even adventure an alternate route from Santa Barbara to Ventura going through Ojai. It is a beautiful drive, and Ojai is a beautiful town hidden away at the base of the Los Padres National Forest. Ojai to Ventura is only 12 miles. We hope to see you again next time you venture our way.

Been to Vagabond Inn Ventura? Share your experiences!