“Don't bother” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Ventura
Poggio Catino
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2015

Both evening and morning staff were very pleasant. We booked 2 standard Queen bed rooms. The first room we were sent to had water running in the bathtub with no way to turn it off. They were very nice about it and immediately moved us to another nearby room that happened to have a balcony (no chairs outside but it was too cold to use anyway). Our single friend was given a room that was quite a bit bigger than ours but standard queen as well. The rooms looked nice and clean however, we found long black hairs on the counter and floor in the bathroom and both room's beds had clean but well worn sheets and blankets with holes in them. Cobwebs hanging from one of the lights. There was 1 single serving of coffee and 1 of decaf with 1 packet with sugar and coffeemate, no stirrer and an additional opened packet with only sweet n low. The continental breakfast included coffee (no water or juice or decaf) and small, very basic and unappetizing sweet rolls, plain croissants and plain mini bagels. The courtyard was covered in leaves, not a place we'd choose to have "breakfast". The hotel has potential but is very lacking in TLC

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Monterey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2014

Just home from spending Christmas in Ventura. The people at the Clocktower Inn were extremely friendly and accommodating. Room #112 is now my favorite and I will ask for it again! It's in the back, quiet, lots of windows with marble ledges and A/C, AND it's near the jacuzzi.

The location of the inn is perfect with old Main St, being one block behind the hotel with it's shops, bars and eateries. All in all, a good deal for the $$ spent. I'll be returning in 2015!

Room Tip: room #112 is my favorite ;)
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2014

Here is what happened to us Sat Dec. 6 2014.
They gave my room away before I got there even though we had a reservation for 3 weeks and were there on time . We drove 135 miles from Mission Viejo got there at 2:30 pm to check in and the guy at the desk informed us that another guest had their flight canceled and they gave them our room. He said we could check in at 7:00pm. We were there for a one night event that started at 4:00pm so checking in at 7:00pm was out of the question. They also made some reference to the company I booked thru that booking through a third party meant I was some sort of second class customer. Go down the street and stay at The Vagabond the lady there couldn't believe our story and got us a room right away.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

When in Ventura you must stay here. Perfect location very friendly staff and very affordable, I like the breakfast area. They have a new restaurant ( mexican cuisine ) very good food and very affordable prices, they also deliver room service

Ask for a fireplace room it is worth the extra ...

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel you may be able to get a better deal
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Concord, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Two years ago my wife and I made a trip from NH to Ventura to visit the Channel Islands. I wanted to surprise my wife with a beautiful room so I called the Clocktower Inn and reserved a room with a fireplace and I paid for the room in full at the time I made the reservation.
When we arrived a month later on a Friday to check in they had given the room that I had already PAID for IN FULL for to someone else. The front desk staff did not know what to do. I asked for a manager and unbelievably there was no manager available until Monday when we would have already checked out. They put us in a basic room and refunded the difference. That was it. I never heard from them again. No call to apologize. Nothing. It's two years later and I'm still angry at what they did to us. I will NEVER stay here again and I would advise anyone considering this place to find some place else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

I love staying here because it is close to the shops, restaurants, and museums. It's clean and affordable. Neatly decorated with old Spanish charm. Breakfast in the mornings. Eggs and pastries. There is a Mexican Cantina within the hotel, too!

• Stayed October 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

I intentionally waited a while before posting this review because I wanted to be sure that my written opinion wasn’t just me ‘shooting from the hip.’ And after letting my experience sink in for a while, I feel a responsibility to let others know so you can make a more informed decision about lodging here.

I stayed at the Clocktower Inn for just one night, on Friday, August 15th, because I was attending a wedding at the San Buenaventura Mission across the street. I was part of a wedding block, which they knew, so a 3 pm check in (their regular check-in time) should have been expected, but the room was not ready when we arrived. Since the wedding was at 4 pm, this made me a little nervous since we’d just flown from New York and needed to shower, but I just reworked our plans a bit so we wouldn’t be late. But 3:30 pm came and then 3:45 pm, and we were still stuck waiting in the lobby because the room was not ready yet. We finally went into another guest’s room to change, and proceeded to the wedding un-showered.

When we finally returned, the room was ‘ready,’ according to them, however, there was a multitude of issues I didn’t expect. The air conditioner wasn’t working, the toilet continuously ran but the bathroom door was broken so there was no escaping the noise, and there was no fitted sheet on the bed. I was outdone by how many issues I saw after waiting HOURS for a room. Then when we finally got the shower we’d desperately waited for, and the faucet was leaking to a point where it made showing extremely difficult. I was forced to bring at least the faucet to the attention of management so we could get some sleep and shower in the morning.

But I was most dumbfounded by the lack of customer service after reporting just one thing. I’m typically someone who NEVER goes to hotel management, and one would think after so much going wrong that was out of our control, they would bend over backward to bring the room to a decent standard or switch our rooms altogether. But this was not the case at all. I later found out that other wedding attendees had similar issues and even received a whole day refund, but I suppose because I didn’t insist, had an awful night’s night sleep and just wanted to leave, I wasn’t given the same treatment.

Obviously, I would never stay here again, and would give them zero stars if I could. But the primary reason for this review is to let OTHERS know about this so you can make an informed decision.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Clocktower Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!