“Don't Ever Stay Here, Ever” 1 of 5 stars

Clocktower Inn Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   181 E Santa Clara Street, Ventura, CA 93001   |
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
“Don't Ever Stay Here, Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Here is what happened to us Sat Dec. 6 2014.
They gave my room away before I got there even though we had a reservation for 3 weeks and were there on time . We drove 135 miles from Mission Viejo got there at 2:30 pm to check in and the guy at the desk informed us that another guest had their flight canceled and they gave them our room. He said we could check in at 7:00pm. We were there for a one night event that started at 4:00pm so checking in at 7:00pm was out of the question. They also made some reference to the company I booked thru that booking through a third party meant I was some sort of second class customer. Go down the street and stay at The Vagabond the lady there couldn't believe our story and got us a room right away.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

When in Ventura you must stay here. Perfect location very friendly staff and very affordable, I like the breakfast area. They have a new restaurant ( mexican cuisine ) very good food and very affordable prices, they also deliver room service

Ask for a fireplace room it is worth the extra ...

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel you may be able to get a better deal
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Concord, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Two years ago my wife and I made a trip from NH to Ventura to visit the Channel Islands. I wanted to surprise my wife with a beautiful room so I called the Clocktower Inn and reserved a room with a fireplace and I paid for the room in full at the time I made the reservation.
When we arrived a month later on a Friday to check in they had given the room that I had already PAID for IN FULL for to someone else. The front desk staff did not know what to do. I asked for a manager and unbelievably there was no manager available until Monday when we would have already checked out. They put us in a basic room and refunded the difference. That was it. I never heard from them again. No call to apologize. Nothing. It's two years later and I'm still angry at what they did to us. I will NEVER stay here again and I would advise anyone considering this place to find some place else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014 via mobile

I love staying here because it is close to the shops, restaurants, and museums. It's clean and affordable. Neatly decorated with old Spanish charm. Breakfast in the mornings. Eggs and pastries. There is a Mexican Cantina within the hotel, too!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

I intentionally waited a while before posting this review because I wanted to be sure that my written opinion wasn’t just me ‘shooting from the hip.’ And after letting my experience sink in for a while, I feel a responsibility to let others know so you can make a more informed decision about lodging here.

I stayed at the Clocktower Inn for just one night, on Friday, August 15th, because I was attending a wedding at the San Buenaventura Mission across the street. I was part of a wedding block, which they knew, so a 3 pm check in (their regular check-in time) should have been expected, but the room was not ready when we arrived. Since the wedding was at 4 pm, this made me a little nervous since we’d just flown from New York and needed to shower, but I just reworked our plans a bit so we wouldn’t be late. But 3:30 pm came and then 3:45 pm, and we were still stuck waiting in the lobby because the room was not ready yet. We finally went into another guest’s room to change, and proceeded to the wedding un-showered.

When we finally returned, the room was ‘ready,’ according to them, however, there was a multitude of issues I didn’t expect. The air conditioner wasn’t working, the toilet continuously ran but the bathroom door was broken so there was no escaping the noise, and there was no fitted sheet on the bed. I was outdone by how many issues I saw after waiting HOURS for a room. Then when we finally got the shower we’d desperately waited for, and the faucet was leaking to a point where it made showing extremely difficult. I was forced to bring at least the faucet to the attention of management so we could get some sleep and shower in the morning.

But I was most dumbfounded by the lack of customer service after reporting just one thing. I’m typically someone who NEVER goes to hotel management, and one would think after so much going wrong that was out of our control, they would bend over backward to bring the room to a decent standard or switch our rooms altogether. But this was not the case at all. I later found out that other wedding attendees had similar issues and even received a whole day refund, but I suppose because I didn’t insist, had an awful night’s night sleep and just wanted to leave, I wasn’t given the same treatment.

Obviously, I would never stay here again, and would give them zero stars if I could. But the primary reason for this review is to let OTHERS know about this so you can make an informed decision.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Canyon Country
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014 via mobile

The Clocktower Inn was recommended to us by friends and family although they hadn't stayed there for years. It is showing age and neglect but some of it's lost charm shows through. We booked a balcony room, were checked into a guest room with a defunct AC unit and a non functioning TV. The towels were nice and there was plenty of hot water. Now that we know what to expect, we will probably stay at the Clocktower again due to its close proximity to fine dining and great shopping.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014 via mobile

Don't stay here we had no cable no air no phone this place is a dump the owner has done no repairs the homeless camp out behind hotel and party the lady at the front desk is the only good thing your better just going to motel 6

• Stayed October 2014

Been to Clocktower Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!