“The decline of a motel 6” 1 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Ventura South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3075 Johnson Drive, Ventura, CA 93003   |
Ranked #17 of 20 hotels in Ventura
Mission Hills,ca
“The decline of a motel 6”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

2 weeks every year for over 10 years. Always a decent place. Now, A DUMP. A dirty smelly,worn out Motel 6. Carpets,sinks, tubs,Disgusting. Outside rear parking lot,trash,trash cans,broken glass,Filthy grounds.Never again....

Room Tip: Check the rooms first before unpacking. We did not and working 12-14 hrs a day,for 2 weeks, our opti...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Palo Alto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have stayed there about 1/year for the past 10 years and for the price it was always a good deal. This year, they pushed their luck as the motel is so run down, as if they haven't invested a penny in upkeep for years. The 2nd bed was right up against the air conditioner which meant it had to be turned off or freeze. The sheets/towels were old - big hand towels or small bath towels, not sure. The room smelled dampish and stale. Water pressure in the sink non-existant. No trash, my friend had to go get a trash can. Poor storage space in the bathroom. The sheets were worn out and the bed - OMG --- lumpy and soft... not a good nites sleep. The light fixture by the bed was worn out and not easy to turn on to the lamp wanted since it worked for both

In its favor the shower curtain was excellent as it wrapped around and kept the water in the shower and not on the floor. And, I will say that the wake up calls were on time.

$100/night is not a lot for a room, but I have stayed in other places for this amount there there were tissues, decent towels/sheets and hair dryers. The location is great for my needs and I hope they invest some money in fixing the place up

Room Tip: Take your chances unles they invest some money to fix it up
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I am traveling for three weeks with my dog and stay with her in dog-friendly and generally budget lodging. Motel 6 always allows dogs, but they usually are not the best places to stay. This one, located on the southern outskirts of Ventura (or actually San Buenaventura) California looks nice enough from the outside. The dog-friendly rooms are all located in a section of the hotel that have only handicapped spaces in front of them. So if you are not a handicapped dog owner, you have to spark your car in the nearest open spaces about 500 feet away -- the sort of hike with luggage that makes you feel handicapped when you are done. I wear a knee brace from an old bike accident, and it was killing me after the repeated long trips to and from my car. There is no place on the grounds designated for dog walking, but there is a handy vacant lot next door that the dog owners use. The room itself had no efficiency type amenities -- meaning no mini fridge or microwave, and the TV had very limited channel selection. Typical Motel 6 fare. What bothered me the most after the long hike to my car was the spiders i found in the bathroom. I killed several of them throughout the night. They were small spiders, but I still think I was entitled to a bug-free room. The rooms are not well-insulated from noise. The hotel is 3 stories tall; I was on the ground floor and all night long, I kept hearing people running water -- I think from upstairs, or maybe next door, I don't know -- there was a lot of water running going on all night long -- did it all come from the same room? Hard to believe. Lots of door slamming all night long, too. Again, I think it was multiple doors slamming, but I could hear them all very loudly in this room. I'm a light sleeper, and walking up every two hours or so for doors slamming or water running did not make for a restful night's sleep. There is a built-in swimming pool on the hotel grounds that seemed very popular with the children staying there. I would not stay at this particular Motel 6 location again.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on the east side or on the south side so you can park close to your door. If you ar...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed several days with our kids and mid sized pet dog. They gave us the perfect rooms lower level, in the back-good for taking the dog out for a quick run. There is also a field nearby great again for running the dog around a bit. The pool was out of service, which bummed the kids out, no breakfast either-this is bare bones. The rooms were large and both were relatively clean. They have no adjoining rooms. We all thought they may rent the rooms to the county for families transitioning from homeless to housing because one of the rooms had a lot of wear to the sink and dresser that looked like someone had stayed there a while. Why interesting on the weekend? Saturday day we checked in, went to visit relatives, we came back later that evening, it was like a prison in lockdown. The back exit near our room was closed down, roadblocked, then at the main entrance, there was a security guard who had to verify we had rooms there to let us through. This was not true sunday evening, so I guess they must step up the security on the weekends. It is not necessarily a bad part of ventura either, so I am not sure why this happened. But it is a good place for a budget trip to a great town, do be aware though it is quite a drive to the beach, there are fast food restaurants nearby, a CVS pharmacy and a few grocery stores a few blocks away. If you have kids, dog and would like a working pool and breakfast and are staying more than a day, it is a little more costly, but we would recommend the local La Quinta. It is very basic, but just what it should be a budget hotel. One more note, they allow medium sized and larger dogs-not just the small ones! :)

Room Tip: the back side of the hotel is away from the freeway, it is also great if you have a dog or kids, the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

After staying at the Hilton and then in Carmel, we chose the Motel 6 because it was there and we were tired. The price was good. Our hotel room was almost as large as the one we had at the Hilton. The Motel was a bit shabby and plain. I really didn't know what to expect at a Motel 6, but I thought the shabbiness was a bit much. There was coffee in the lobby in the morning, but nowhere to sit and drink it. I recommended to the office manager that she bring in a few plastic chairs from the pool for people to sit on.

Room Tip: Look at the room first.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Canyon Country, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This place was horrible. Non smoking room smelled like stale cigars. Air conditioning didn't work, bed linen was paper thin, dirty towells and face cloths were ragged at best. I was able to speak to the manager, which he told me there wasn't anything else available, which I new wasn't true. I had called the office from my cell phone to check on room availbilities which I was told they had rooms available. When I told the manager that, he said if I didn't like it to go some where else. Which we did. But then the theives billed me fo a room I didn't stay in. Did I mention the vagrants that assemble in the parking lot asking prople for money. Do yourslf a favor bypass this horrible place...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Motel 6, with lots of people staying for a longer period.
Something went room with the cleaning of the room we were assigned, but the staff were very friendly and sorted it out smoothly.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 Ventura South? Share your experiences!