“large rooms, pets and kids welcome weekends are interesting” 3 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Ventura South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3075 Johnson Drive, Ventura, CA 93003   |
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Santa Cruz, California
“large rooms, pets and kids welcome weekends are interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed several days with our kids and mid sized pet dog. They gave us the perfect rooms lower level, in the back-good for taking the dog out for a quick run. There is also a field nearby great again for running the dog around a bit. The pool was out of service, which bummed the kids out, no breakfast either-this is bare bones. The rooms were large and both were relatively clean. They have no adjoining rooms. We all thought they may rent the rooms to the county for families transitioning from homeless to housing because one of the rooms had a lot of wear to the sink and dresser that looked like someone had stayed there a while. Why interesting on the weekend? Saturday day we checked in, went to visit relatives, we came back later that evening, it was like a prison in lockdown. The back exit near our room was closed down, roadblocked, then at the main entrance, there was a security guard who had to verify we had rooms there to let us through. This was not true sunday evening, so I guess they must step up the security on the weekends. It is not necessarily a bad part of ventura either, so I am not sure why this happened. But it is a good place for a budget trip to a great town, do be aware though it is quite a drive to the beach, there are fast food restaurants nearby, a CVS pharmacy and a few grocery stores a few blocks away. If you have kids, dog and would like a working pool and breakfast and are staying more than a day, it is a little more costly, but we would recommend the local La Quinta. It is very basic, but just what it should be a budget hotel. One more note, they allow medium sized and larger dogs-not just the small ones! :)

Room Tip: the back side of the hotel is away from the freeway, it is also great if you have a dog or kids, the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

After staying at the Hilton and then in Carmel, we chose the Motel 6 because it was there and we were tired. The price was good. Our hotel room was almost as large as the one we had at the Hilton. The Motel was a bit shabby and plain. I really didn't know what to expect at a Motel 6, but I thought the shabbiness was a bit much. There was coffee in the lobby in the morning, but nowhere to sit and drink it. I recommended to the office manager that she bring in a few plastic chairs from the pool for people to sit on.

Room Tip: Look at the room first.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Canyon Country, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This place was horrible. Non smoking room smelled like stale cigars. Air conditioning didn't work, bed linen was paper thin, dirty towells and face cloths were ragged at best. I was able to speak to the manager, which he told me there wasn't anything else available, which I new wasn't true. I had called the office from my cell phone to check on room availbilities which I was told they had rooms available. When I told the manager that, he said if I didn't like it to go some where else. Which we did. But then the theives billed me fo a room I didn't stay in. Did I mention the vagrants that assemble in the parking lot asking prople for money. Do yourslf a favor bypass this horrible place...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Motel 6, with lots of people staying for a longer period.
Something went room with the cleaning of the room we were assigned, but the staff were very friendly and sorted it out smoothly.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011 via mobile

I know what to expect at a Motel 6 and understand what class of motel it is, but this was kind of ridiculous. I was not in a situation to be picky and just needed a place to crash for the night. Problem was the "clean towels" were wrinkled with hairs on them. Not one of the towels. All of them. Pretty poor way to start the day. Unfortunately no time to stick around and request new ones and complain

• Stayed October 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I arrived after midnight on Thursday for an event through Monday. I am traveling with dogs and I have stayed at decent Motel 6's in the past. This is one of the largest Motel 6's I've ever seen. I booked weeks in advance and asked for a ground floor room, they put me on the third (top) floor. The desk clerk said I had one of the ONLY non-smoking rooms at the hotel. An it felt like it. I had to run the air conditioner on high to help mask the smell of my "neighbors". I checked out and went to La Quinta Friday morning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010 via mobile

I Have To Stay At Motel 6,For 2 Weeks !
Because Our Family Moved,4 Kids(2 G's,2B's)And Two Adults.
The Rooms Smell,Alright Location,Simple Place...I Guess.
But 5Mins Ago I Was By The Fridge And There Was A Scorpion Type Spider Bug,And It Was On The Wall,Me And My Sister Went To Go,Complain And
I Said"What Is This",

She Said"Eww Don't Bring It In Here !",

"What Can You Do About This ?"

"There Is Nothing We Can Do Accept Switch Your Rooms But You Won't Have. Fridge Or Microwave !"

"Can We Bug The Room ?"

"Well Its Going To Take A While To Call Terminator But All You Can Do Is Set It
Free So Your Family Will Have To Get Over Their Fears !"

"Well Thanks For Nothing"

*DON'T STAY HERE*

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Motel 6 Ventura South? Share your experiences!