“If not for the location a real loser” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
“If not for the location a real loser”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Let's see... Tiny bathroom, leaking iron, non-working outlets, non-secure wifi complete with scary warning, impossible-to-find luggage carts, poor service in restaurant. No fridge in our room. No safe thought you could stash stuff at the front desk.Oh and there was a young woman who was stuck in an elevator for 2 hours. It obviously was not repaired (or labeled "out of service" ) because a friend got stuck with a crowd in the same elevator later that day. Hotel is pleasant looking and location can't be beat, but I got the impression they were no longer interested in customer needs. One more thing: room had been cleaned and I was resting there in afternoon when someone knocked, started to come in and asked if I was OK. I never did find out what that was about. I was caught off guard and never was able to see if it was a legitimate mistake of some kind.

• Stayed September 2012
Adam C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you Sambagrrl for you review. I'm glad you enjoyed our look and location. We are constantly striving to improve our product and services and appreciate the information you have given us on how we can better serve our guests in the future. We are currently refreshing many amenities in the hotel and are hopeful for further renovations next year as well. I hope you will give us another chance in the future and we can show you how we've improved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, with a great staff in a very awesome location. Right on the beach next to the pier. You can go swimming in the ocean then hit the pool at the hotel.

Highly recommend this place if you need to stay in the area.

Walk over to Beach House Tacos for lunch then you can walk downtown for drinks, check out Barrel House 101 for beers, 101 of them on tap!

• Stayed September 2012
Drumheller, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were a group staying here for a four day retreat. We had been given a coupon for a reduction in the breakfast bill. Every day we all showed up for breakfast together and sat at the same table but we were treated like total strangers. The coupons seemed to be a mystery. Even though we had the same breakfast day after day, the price went up. We were even told it was the servers discretion if she wanted to put a 2.75 service charge on our bills. By my final day, the 11.00 breakfast was up to 19.30. I paid my portion to my leader, he paid it and it still showed up on my final bill. By then I figured that tiny omelet had soared to somewhere around 26.00. The nice lady at the front desk helped me but I am warning you..watch this extra charge at the servers discretion thing..it gets costly...

Room Tip: Some of the rooms look out onto the freeway and are a bit noisy according to some of my fellow guest...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear JudyQ_11,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am pleased that you have given us excellent scores on Location, Sleep Quality, Rooms and Cleanliness. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, I would like to apologize for the difficulties you had experienced with the hotel staff. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I travelled back here again on a two week group business trip, and once again was pleasantly surprised by the outstanding service of the young, capable friendly staff.
Considering it is a family hotel, and was one of the busiest times of the year, we were well looked after, the rooms were clean with lovely fresh linens and towels, and they responded to our every need.
I had some trouble with my room key as a lot of people did, but they promise they are updating that system, and the maintenance came to assist me within a matter of minutes.
The staff work hard,always with a smile; the food, especially the bar food is delicious, and it is a wonderful place to stay, either on business or on vacation, as it is also within walking distance of some of the finest restaurants in California. Thumbs up once again. I shall definitely be back.
This hotel might not be the most modern, but the service of the wonderful staff is what makes one want to go back again and again and feel welcomed.

Room Tip: If you like the ocean, then choose that side, though it is quite noisy with sounds of freeway and tr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Ventura
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Had out-of-town guests that were staying 4 nights reserve a room at this hotel. I only found out afterwards they were charged more than $200+ one night, and had an average rate of over $170 per night. I called to complain as I could look online and find the same hotel charging a cheaper rate per night. The manager, Nicole, was rude, would not listen and insisted their hotel is only one on beach, etc. In reality, they are on a poor part of the beach, right next to a noisy freeway with drug activity when you walk outside and the hotel offers nothing complimentary and has a poor, small swimming pool. Even though I pointed out the online rate was cheaper than what my friends were being charged, they would not reduce the rate. I would avoid staying at this hotel if you are visiting Ventura! Some much better Ventura area hotel options, and at cheaper prices still near ocean are:

1) Embassy Suites Mandalay Bay

2) Any hotels at Ventura Harbor (Holiday Inn Express and Sheraton Four Points)

3) Cliff House on Hwy 101 just a few miles north of Ventura

4) Mariott Hotel adjacent to San Buenaventura State Beach Park.

Room Tip: Highway 101 noise is present at all rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear stonewallheir,

Thank you for your review regarding your friend's recent stay at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach. It is regrettable you/they were not satisfied with the service you/they received. I would like to address this with them further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about their stay. I look forward to hearing from you and your friends and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Hotel is in serious need of renovations. While the hotel room was probably clean it felt dirty because the carpet was grotty and old. The bathroom had holes where fixtures had been moved or changed. Toiletries were stored above the toilet and were in danger of falling in. Room was very small. Would not recommend staying here at all. Service was ok.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Since it was going to hit 105 degrees in the valley on the weekend, my wife and I decided to take the Amtrak to Ventura for a night's stay. The 70 degree weather told us we made the right decision, and the Crown Plaza Ventura Beach was a pleasant place to rest and relax, when we weren't enjoying the sights of the town.

One great reason we picked the Crown Plaza was its walking distance from the Amtrak station. Other reviews have pointed this out as a negative, in that you can hear the train horn every time it comes through town. However, that is only a handful of times a daily (less than five that I counted) and never at night, so it didn't disturb us.

We got a great room on the top floor overlooking the pier and the beach. The room was clean and well appointed. It's obviously an older property, but there were no problems that we saw. No bugs, no cracks, no broken anything.

The staff was quite friendly. When we showed up several hours before check in, the lovely young woman at the front desk told us our room wasn't ready, but offered us the choice of taking another room, one with a lesser view. We declined, and the bell staff was happy to hold our luggage while we wandered out for lunch and a stroll.

Once inside the room a few hours later, we found everything we could ask for: a clean, comfortable bed, soap and shampoo, a great balcony (complete with deck chairs if we so desired) to watch the beach traffic. The television was an older model, obviously still a vacuum tube type from the 80's. but it served its purpose. Besides, we weren't there to watch TV anyway (though we did).

The in-house restaurant was above average for breakfast. And, we got the sunday paper at our door the next morning. How old school! If we had any complaint, it was the extra fee they wanted for wi-fi connections (we declined), and the extra fee they would have charged for parking had we brought a car.

For a one night get-away, the place was great, and in fact we will definitely return the next time we want a short vacation by the beach!

Room Tip: Get a top floor (11).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach? Share your experiences!