“Borderline Motel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 hotels in Ventura
Carson, California
“Borderline Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

For our purpose, a cheap place to stay for only 1 night, it was okay. When checking in, the young lady was very nice & courteous. Our room was in the back corner of the complex .. next to the railroad tracks & freeway. The windows are not 'sound' proof, so we heard the train loud & clear. The room was clean & the grounds kept up nicely. When checking out, the 'manager' was rude!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

What I liked about the hotel was that it was close to the centre. You could also walk to the pier and walk to the beach.

My room was right at the back of the hotel and so backed on to the freeway and railway line. However although I was worried I did sleep fine and I assume that both must have quietened down overnight and so did not disturb me.

Internet worked fine. Good breakfast with eggs and waffles (I did not ry these) as well as cereal and fruit. However as the hotel was full, the breakfast area was crowded.

The hotel had a laundry room whicj I used. They give out a key and only let one guest use it at a time. I really liked this, as it enabled me to go back to my room and work while my washing was being done and dried. It was good vale at $1 for the wash and $1 for the dry. One dry was adequate. The washing powder cost $2 from their vending machine.

I had a really nice Indian meal in the Taj, and also went to the Anacapa brewing company's bar. I strongly recommend this, the beer was good and it has been the only time I have been served a proper pint since I was in the US. As I was feeeling a bit homesick as it was the weekend, the curry and a couple of beers cheered me up.

Pool was small, bit adequate for me to sit out in the late afternoon to read my book and get a bit of sun.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Highland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I recently stayed at the Best Western Inn of Ventura for three days with my wife and two children. I found the extra deluxe breakfast and the very nice way the maid cleaned the room a big positive. This hotel is conveniently located to many downtown attractions and you can reach the beach and the Ventura Pier by walking next door to the Vagabond Hotel and taking a bridge walkway over the freeway. My first criticism was with the maintenance-the hairdryer holder was very loose, the toilet didn't flush the first time sometimes and the lid on the toilet was the wrong size causing increased noise. My second criticism was with staff interaction. Upon arrival, the female hotel clerk was not especially welcoming and wanted an additional cell phone number. A different clerk was rude in the way she spoke to my son for coming in the lobby for not wearing shoes, and the check out clerk informed me that she could not give me a receipt due to leaving early (left the evening before the morning check out) but would send an email receipt the following day instead. As I suspected, this did not happen. Other staff were more friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed 3 nights in mid-June. I would stay again but do a through inspection before unpacking. The first evening we realised our room had no sheer curtains for privacy behind the opaque curtains. The third night found that the mini-fridge ran but didn't cool.

The hotel is from the 70's, built in a U-shape with the bottom of the U parallel to the railroad tracks. We avoided that side but never heard a train between 7PM and 10AM - it's not a Metro line. You can walk to the beach in 10 min. - must cross a pedestrian bridge over the freeway. Rooms appear to be recently updated and clean enough. Well-run continental breakfast with plenty of room. Easy walk to old-town Ventura. We loved the full bathroom/full closet/private dressing area layout.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I am a very frequent client of Best Western Hotels. I haven never received such poor, rude, unprofessional, unacceptable behavior from a manager at a hotel. Spoke with Mr. Carlos Cruiz and tried to discuss my reservation situation and he was extremely disrespectful, and incompetent . I would never EVER stay at this hotel, unless you want bad hotel service. They do tell you it is walking distance from the beach which they lead you to believe that it's is close, it is NOT. I will not let this effect my stay at other BEST WESTERN locations since this is the first time EVER that I have experienced a problem like this. There are polite decent ways to approach customers,to get your point across not to escalate a situation with yelling and badgering.
PS: Please Mr. Cruiz do not respond to this because you will obviously be not telling the truth, it would only be to CYA . Also there is no excuse for your unacceptable behavior as a hotel manager.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

This motel offers really good value. We stayed for just one night; we were rising very early, so we were a bit concerned about the train noise other reviewers had mentioned. However, it wasn't a problem at all - the trains seemed to stop after 10 pm or so. The rooms appear to have been recently updated and are attractive and clean. Ours had a small fridge, microwave and in-room coffee. I liked the layout of the bathroom, with a separate area (with chairs) for doing hair and makeup, and a hair dryer. Beds were very comfy; didn't have any noisy neighbors.

The manager gave good directions to a restaurant district just a few blocks away, where there are lots of good eateries in a charming "old town" area. We didn't really have time to explore, but the motel is well-located if you want to do a little urban hiking.

The free breakfast was served in the pleasant lobby area, and was ready a bit earlier than advertised, which was great, since we had to catch a boat by 7. The breakfast bar is really quite extensive - you can make your own waffles (not the toaster type, this is real waffle batter and a waffle maker); there are also pastries, cereal, fruit, bagels, boiled eggs, juice and hot beverages.

We'd definitely stay here again next time we're in Ventura overnight.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Pleasant Hill, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

The staff service was very congenial; the beds are very comfy, the room decor was clean, though not real "modern."Pluses included" microwave/small fridge in room; separate vanity area from bathroom; in-room coffee maker, iron.small hair dryer.
Only recommendation I would give to the hotelkeeper; give a fresh coat of paint to the exterior. First impressions count for alot, and driving into this 2 story motel-complex, it looked pretty "dated"..1960's vibe, and some peeling paint. Paint-wise, inside the rooms was fine.
The pool is large and pretty warm...the "hot tub" is a small, triangular shaped hole to the side of the pool..maybe 2 large size adults and 1 small child could fit in there.
You are across the freeway from Ventura beach, but it is a very easy walk from the motel; go down 1 block, hit the pedestrian bridge and you're at the pier!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Ventura? Share your experiences!