“Beautiful location with a few things that need tweaking” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Ridgecrest, CA
“Beautiful location with a few things that need tweaking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Sheraton Ventura Harbor is in an extremely relaxing, beautiful location. The Ventura Harbor Village shops and restaurants are a relaxing walk away. The grounds of the hotel have a pool, hot tub, tennis courts, and bicycles to rent. Boats and kayaks are available for rent at the Harbor Village. There is a beach near the Harbor Village. Other restaurants, shops, and the downtown area are a bit of drive. The staff was friendly. The rooms are recently updated and clean. Being near the harbor the hotel does have some humidity issues.

Now to the quirks that need tweaking.

We were checking in and the clerk asked us if we wanted the "green" option for our room. She explained that the green option was where our room would not be cleaned or restocked unless we specifically asked for housekeeping or items we needed. My husband and I looked at each other in disbelief and almost started laughing at the absurdity. My thoughts were "Have they got a deal for us (sarcasm)" and "Are we staying at a youth hostel?" I found the "green" option pretty tacky. Don't try to sell me on a "green" option which is actually the hotel trying to cut the bottom line. I am perfectly capable of leaving the towels I don't need washed hanging on the racks and putting the "please change the sheets" sign on the bed. Do not expect me to have to call for housekeeping service or restock of shampoo and soap.

The parking. A major complaint from patrons as I see from the reviews. We paid $10 a day for parking. We are not talking a motel in the center of Manhattan or Tokyo where parking space real estate goes for premium prices. The clincher was when we came back to the hotel in the evening and there were no spaces because of a "Business Expo" being held at the hotel. We had to park quite a ways away from the hotel. As we crossed the parking lot I noticed none of the cars had a "parking permit" on their dash indicating they had not paid the $10 fee. We stopped at the front desk to complain about no parking. The clerk apologized and said they had an event at the hotel hence the lack of parking. So, I asked, why don't any of the cars attending said event have a parking permit. Her response was, "Well they aren't staying at the hotel." My immediate response (and I admit it was sarcastic) was, again, "Have we got a deal for you." They did credit our parking for the day.

I won't say that we will never stay here again as it is a gorgeous location with the relaxing harbor but we will look at other options after the "Have we got a deal for you" incidents.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear desertescapee,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am happy you liked our location and were comfortable. It was unfortunate you here during such a busy time. We do have many large groups for weddings, parties and conferences. We only charge for overnight parking so that the parking is available to our guests only. That way we know that we are taking care of our guests and their security. We did not fully communicate that or the reason for Green Choice. Green Choice is a Sheraton (not just Four Points) Program. A Guest receives SPG points or Restaurant Credits for choosing green Choice. They can also decide to only use Green Choice one day or their whole stay. It is up to the Guest and is very popular.
Again, thank you for your comments. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
City of Angels
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

1st: Although the bed was comfortable, the room's physical condition was shabby (see photos): the tiles were coming off the wall, the bathroom light had gaps around it in the ceiling, the wallpaper was coming off in several places, there was paint & wallpaper glue all over the frame of the sliding glass door.

2nd: Garden view (see photos)? Um, just a view of the bushes across the front of the patio.

3rd: Amenities (see photos)? 1 bottle of water for 2 adult guests, two awful teabags, Coffeemate. I had to ask for more water & there was a hesitancy before they agreed to give us more.

4th: The restaurant prices are very expensive. Room service charges not only a $3.00 delivery charge but an 18% gratuity on top of that! So a $2.50 glass of milk is over $6.00.

5th: Staff (My experience for 5 different stays); Restaurant staff are really the BEST, always kind & more than helpful, HOWEVER the Front desk staff talk down to people in a forced & phony honey laden voice, and are the Rudest ever.... The managers are also Rude, uncaring & uncompromising so this is obviously a trickle down effect!

6th: THEY CHARGE $10 Per Night for PARKING! There is no lack of spaces, there is no key controlled entry or exit (so if you lie, you get free parking)! The young gal @ the Front Desk said to my query: "Well its there with the directions & maps"... Since I don't need directions or a map, I missed that or I would have parked on the street! But the Morning Front Desk gal removed the fee.

7th: Your "SPG" point expire every 18 months? So why have them? They had no record of any of my 5 stays....

8th: I submitted my review (sans bad words) and it was rejected: "A reference to a hotel other than the one being reviewed – this may include other Starwood-branded hotels locally or globally." I stated: "I originally came here for two conferences".....

Bottom Line? Don't bother to waste your money.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Auntie-Nanuuq,
Thank you reviewing our property after your recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations for comfort or for service. Our staff wants to be the best example of customer service and we do appreciate your concerns. We are always upgrading and maintaining our property so that we can assure guest comfort. I am sorry that your previous stays were not found. During conferences the rooms are registered to a primary member of the group in each room, and then roommates. Always make sure that the room is registered to you so that you can claim the SPG Benefit and history. As a frequent guest to our hotel, it is especially unhappy to learn you were dissatified. I hope you continue to love to travel and have many enjoyable stays. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.
Madera, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

In a few experiencies of the L A area, I have to accept that rundown is the norm. The only "upgrade" to this property is the great staff. Located between town and the harbor(niether close), this is a high priced stay for the area. If you dont mind plugging in every appliance, light, and outlet, these are large and clean rooms. However, the latest upgrade was, I guess, 1980. I think this property exist by the Sheraton name only.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn next door. It is less $, closer to the harbor, and more modern.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear pat c,
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property. I was very sorry that we did not meet your expectations for your comfort. We did do a complete renovation in 2008, and are continually upgrading. If you are ever in our area again, please let me know. We would do our best to make it up to you. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stayed at the Four Points Ventura several times while traveling for business. The hotel itself is basic, nothing very fancy, consistent with its pricing. Rooms are nice size but without frills. Bath/shower are fiberglass inserts, common for midline hotels, TV isn't terribly large, etc. With that said, the rooms are extremely well taken care of -- very clean, well stocked and everything works. Wifi hooks up easily and is fast. Bedsheets and towels are all high grade. The location is very nice, just on the north end of Ventura and adjacent to the harbor. Fresh air and nice views.

What really stands out is the staff. The front desk folks are extremely friendly, joke around a bit, and get things quickly set up. Once in the room, you get a follow up phone call to make sure everything is the way you want it. You never get those blank stares or pauses as though the staff are tired of dealing with the public. Just the opposite -- they seem to take great pride in their property and want to make for an excellent experience. This even extends to the housekeeping service. Clean up is fast, and everything is replenished. Quick example: there's a selection of teas at the in room coffee maker. One night I brewed a specific kind of tea. The next day the housekeepers replenished the tea, and added extra bags of the particular tea I used. Now that's attention to detail! The manager of this hotel could run a clinic teaching other hotels how to treat their customers. Seriously.

Anyway, when traveling through Ventura, I will never hesitate to stay here. Very pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear gmansc,
Thank you from our staff for your review of our property. We do care about our guests and the service we can provide to the many wonderful travelers who stay with us. It is very special to know that you noticed the extra touches. Thank you, of course, for your full review. All your comments were important to us. Happy Traveling. Come see us soon. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I can't comment on price - I am a rewards member and booked this hotel on points.

We were very happy with the accommodations and the staff at this hotel. Our room faced the marina (over a couple parking lots) and was clean and spacious. Our king bed was comfortable and well appointed. The bathroom was refreshed, clean and had all the supplies we could want.

This size room is definitely big enough for a couple or a couple with a small child.
It is close to the marina and a few miles from the pier and downtown Ventura. We quite enjoyed walking along the strand in the mornings - there is parking at the pier for $2 or if you can find parking off pierpont (residential area) and it is about a mile walk to the pier - a lovely park is right there too.

This hotel is a bit older - not sure how it qualifies as a resort - but it does have a pool and a small gym. All in all this is a fine place to rest your head for a couple of days and the staff is friendly!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ErikaLosAngeles,
Thank you for taking the time to give our property such a thoughtful review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. We follow all our reviews and try to listen carefully to our guests. We think of our guests as family and appreciate it when a guest shares their stay. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.
Manteca, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Beautiful Hotel, e and not pricey at all. Excellent service, wonderful amenities but did not know about the parking fee. Kinda should be in the booking fees. The breakfast was yummy. Close to Harbor Village and a very knowledgeable staff who had some really good suggestions. Loved the balconey, the Hot Tub and the wonderfully manicured grounds

Room Tip: Cant speak for any room but our own. It was superb!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear SybilleW,
Thank you for your great review after your 'Girl's Weekend'. You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself. I could feel your appreciation of your special weekend. I hope you have many more with many more terrific memories. Don't forget to take pictures! Happy Vacations!
jason93308@aol.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff. The pool is walk right in warm. The jacuzzi dome is cool. The view of the harbor is nice. Over all I would recommend this place to all. They do charge $10 for parking which I think parking should come with all rooms.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear iskidily-odo,
Thank you for your review of your stay at our property. I am sorry that we couldn't accommodate another night for you. It is always wonderful to tell the staff that we made someone so comfortable they wanted to stay again. Come and see us again and please stop by to say hello.
Happy Traveling. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor resort

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor? Share your experiences!