“Embarrassing wedding weekend” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Ventura
Reno
“Embarrassing wedding weekend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Easily the worst experience I've ever had with a hotel.

We regretably chose to book a room at the Four Points by Sheraton in Ventura, CA through our wedding venue which is a couple of miles away. We got the suite booked through the wedding venue and we had 5 other rooms booked for family members.

Day 1 at the hotel began with issues with 3 of the 6 room heaters not working, plumbing issues caused by clogged hair, and multiple room keys not working.

Day 2 at the hotel was the wedding day and was pretty hectic with all that needed to be done. At one point, room 335 could not be accessed by anyone including the guest or maintenance, leaving my mother waiting outside in the cold for about 30 minutes while they tried to open her door. When she complained about this to the front desk they coldly asked her what she would like done about it. I mentioned to them about the multitude of issues that we had experienced in that short time and they offered to comp my mother's $10 parking charge for the day. BTW, I'm not quite sure where the parking charge goes, but you can go into their parking lot at any time without a ticket and I never saw a security guard patrolling the lot.

Around 12am we returned from the wedding where the front desk staff member congratulated us on getting married. He then handed us two paper bags with a curled up ribbon on top of each. We thanked him and went up to our room. The bags consisted of: 1 bruised apple with a few small bug-sized holes in it, 1 warm bottled water, 1 offbrand cereal bar, 6 or 7 mints, 1 letter telling us how awesome Four Points by Sheraton is, 1 advertisment telling us to book a spa day with them (no discounts), and one business card for their spa employee.

Day 3 we were woken up by the staff at 9am informing us that our credit card which had been used to book two of the rooms was declined. I had plenty of cash on me so we agreed that I would go find another card and bring it down to them in the next two hours, which would give everyone in my party a chance to wake up. After leaving the room 15 minutes later to grab something from the car, I stopped at my mother's room to find out she had just slipped on the floor in the bathroom. She was ok, but her ankle and shoulder were hurting her. I gave her the cash for the hotel rooms and she agreed to let me use her card. At this point, we just decided that we would checkout together at 10:45am and take care of everything at the same time.

I returned to my room and I'm locked out. I go downstairs and ask why my key isn't working. They inform me that it's because my credit card got declined for those two rooms. At this point,It has only been 30 minutes since we received the call from the front desk about this issue. I reminded them that they said 2 hours. I also asked them why our suite (which was paid for by the wedding venue) was locked when it has nothing to do with the card that was holding the other two rooms. Claire, the front desk clerk, gave no response and unlocked our room.

While I was packing up, I called back to the front desk and asked to speak with the manager. She did her best to minimize my complaints and ultimately offered me the comped $10 parking deal (is this your go-to move for everything???) to which I declined. I asked to speak with her boss and she agreed to call me back. When she called me back she informed me that he was out of town and wasn't going to deal with this today.

We then went downstairs where I returned their wedding presents and asked to speak to the manager. While getting the names of the staff that we had issues with and the corporate number so we could file a complaint an officer walks in and starts speaking with another front desk staff member. He stated that he's here because there's a complaint of a credit card being declined. It has now been 1 hour and 45 minutes since we agreed on two hours and the room had been officially paid for 5 minutes prior to that. I had to explain to the officer in front of my family, friends, and in-laws that I am not in fact trying to scam anyone, instead that they agreed upon two hours and that the room was paid for.

I found out later that my brother's girlfriend's card was declined and another card was declined by friends of ours. When the front desk re-ran their cards, it went through fine. I checked my bank account Monday morning at I had enough to cover those rooms 4 times over. Their corporate office is unwilling to intervene after we complained stating that the manager (Victor), who wasn't there and wouldn't call me the day that we were having issues, stands behind his staff and won't investigate into this issue. Victor did tell the corporate office that he's investigating into a bar tab and restaurant tab that weren't paid for (we never ate at the restaurant, and paid and tipped heavily on two small bar tabs) but wouldn't officially accuse us.

If I could give this hotel negative stars I would.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Bryna G.,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our property. I have spoken to staff about your reviews. We did not intend any embarrassment or discomfort to you and wish only happiness and good will to the family and to the Bride and Groom. We try to correct any problems with rooms as soon as possible but unforseen things do occur. Our engineering staff is excellent. All hotels must be sure of a method of payment before departure. Any contact because of payment was meant to make sure you were aware of any difficulties so that they might be corrected promptly and that you would not be inconvenienced. We appreciate what a stressful time a wedding can be. We apologize for any stress added.
Thank you again, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Check-in staff was very friendly, and the room was clean. The room was a bit dated, but it was large with complimentary coffee and water. We did have to pay $10 for parking which wasn't advertised. There are a number of restaurants within a 20 minute walk which was convenient.

Room Tip: Avoid being above the restaurant's patio as it was noisy in the evening.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KSweaney,
Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad you enjoyed the area and included the tip about the local restaurants in the Harbor Village. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton, Ventura Harbor Resort
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just spent three nights here and found location and service perfect. Quiet rooms and super friendly staff. Walk to harbor restaurants. Breakfast not included, but restaurant on site. $10 charge for parking seems odd in this location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to harbor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Dfleischer,
Thank you for reviewing our property after your recent stay with us. We have many business travelers and appreciate that they need a quiet and welcome place to come home to. I'm happy we were able to make you feel that way. Thank you for traveler tips.
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've been here multiple times and first let me give credit where credit is due: Thank you for what appears to be a turnover of the pathetic front desk of the previous year! Talk about aggressive hospitality in 2012! Nice job with the staff here both am and pm shift! Now the concerns: the room was fine, but inadequately prepared and cleaned. Long black hairs in the bath, no floor towel or soap. C'mon housekeeping, these are basic rooms, get it together! The other thing that bothered me would be invisible to most guests. In years past parking used to be free. I know free parking in most decent hotels in America has gone the way of $2.00 gas. Until recently, the street behind the hotel allowed free parking 7 days a week. I have never seen this street fully parked with cars at any time in the past. This week, I see now that the street doesn't allow parking from midnight until 2 am, 7 days a week. Why would such a silly ordinance apply to a relatively untraveled side street behind the hotel? Most likely, someone in the hotel's management or ownership called in a favor at the City of Ventura's parking and traffic folks, so as to completely shore up at lost parking revenue that was being lost by savvy hotel guests like myself. This ugly shade of greed doesn't look good on you guys!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Viking94708,
Thank you for your review comparison of your stays at our property. We do have an excellent staff and we all care about our guests. The staff will be pleased you appreciate them.
I sincerely hope you informed the Front Desk of the issues you had about your room. They will listen and assist in any area of concern you may have. We do want you to have a clean and comfortable stay.
Our parking fee has been in effect for over a year and was a necessary addition to Guest Services. Parking is premium in beach areas and we chose to secure ours for our guests. We have no control over City Parking Regulations.
I hope you will visit us again. Happy Traveling.
Olympia Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Stopped here by the Vemtura Harbor while on a CA coast road trip. Good sized king bed room. Not much of a view for a "view rom" and what appears to be a rock pit outside the sliding glass door-no landscaping. Other than that it is your average strip mall hotel, nothing special. The restaurant is just so-so too.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear MCMC1953,
Thank you for your review of our property. We are happy you were able to have a rest stop with us before you continued your journey. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.
San Luis Obispo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My hubby and I got a decent deal via an online bid. Maybe this is why we got the laundromat room - the dampest, most fabric softener smelling hotel room we've ever stayed in. The Average rating is generous, especially considering the subtropical climate of the room.
The carpet was damp and seemed to have been cleaned earlier, and left in an unventilated room till we checked in about 6 PM. And the room smelled strongly of cleaning supplies. So, at least it was clean.
The A/C unit was old and busted, not able to pull much of the moisture out of the room. The mattress was OK for being springs. At least the beds had real blankets on them...nice, clean, real blankets. We like blankets over foo-foo duvets any day, or night!
The lobby area is nice, as is the spa/jacuzzi and the pool. The dining area was also nice. Too bad our room was not as nice when it came to comfort.
For breakfast, order just one $10 Sheraton Breakfast special: it's more than enough eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast for two.
Great location near the harbor.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LRutherford,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry that you were uncomfortable in your room but pleased that you did enjoy the amentities we have. It is unfortunate that you were not moved to a different location and that you had problems that were not addressed during your stay. Our Front Desk will always try their best to accomadate changes. Please call them if you ever stay again and have concerns. We are replacing the heating and air conditioning units. Again, I apologize for the discomfort you had during your stay.
San Bernardino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I use this hotel every time I go to Ventura. It has always been very clean and very well run. The check in desk staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and what I would hope for from a hotel. Many of the rooms have a small balcony with two chairs and has a view of the harbor. The food service is great. I've tried their breakfast buffet, regular breakafst and dinner. The food and service couldn't be better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Bob L.,
Thank you for letting us know you have stayed with us several times and for giving us a great review. We have so many wonderful frequent guests and we try to let them know how happy we are to see them. Every staff member will be pleased to know you are taken care of when you are here. Happy Traveling. Catherine Stevens, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 743 reviews
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor
BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Ventura

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor? Share your experiences!