“Stayed here in the past, mostly improved but some concerns” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 20 hotels in Ventura
Los Angeles, California
“Stayed here in the past, mostly improved but some concerns”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've been here multiple times and first let me give credit where credit is due: Thank you for what appears to be a turnover of the pathetic front desk of the previous year! Talk about aggressive hospitality in 2012! Nice job with the staff here both am and pm shift! Now the concerns: the room was fine, but inadequately prepared and cleaned. Long black hairs in the bath, no floor towel or soap. C'mon housekeeping, these are basic rooms, get it together! The other thing that bothered me would be invisible to most guests. In years past parking used to be free. I know free parking in most decent hotels in America has gone the way of $2.00 gas. Until recently, the street behind the hotel allowed free parking 7 days a week. I have never seen this street fully parked with cars at any time in the past. This week, I see now that the street doesn't allow parking from midnight until 2 am, 7 days a week. Why would such a silly ordinance apply to a relatively untraveled side street behind the hotel? Most likely, someone in the hotel's management or ownership called in a favor at the City of Ventura's parking and traffic folks, so as to completely shore up at lost parking revenue that was being lost by savvy hotel guests like myself. This ugly shade of greed doesn't look good on you guys!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Viking94708,
Thank you for your review comparison of your stays at our property. We do have an excellent staff and we all care about our guests. The staff will be pleased you appreciate them.
I sincerely hope you informed the Front Desk of the issues you had about your room. They will listen and assist in any area of concern you may have. We do want you to have a clean and comfortable stay.
Our parking fee has been in effect for over a year and was a necessary addition to Guest Services. Parking is premium in beach areas and we chose to secure ours for our guests. We have no control over City Parking Regulations.
I hope you will visit us again. Happy Traveling.

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Olympia Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stopped here by the Vemtura Harbor while on a CA coast road trip. Good sized king bed room. Not much of a view for a "view rom" and what appears to be a rock pit outside the sliding glass door-no landscaping. Other than that it is your average strip mall hotel, nothing special. The restaurant is just so-so too.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear MCMC1953,
Thank you for your review of our property. We are happy you were able to have a rest stop with us before you continued your journey. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.
San Luis Obispo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My hubby and I got a decent deal via an online bid. Maybe this is why we got the laundromat room - the dampest, most fabric softener smelling hotel room we've ever stayed in. The Average rating is generous, especially considering the subtropical climate of the room.
The carpet was damp and seemed to have been cleaned earlier, and left in an unventilated room till we checked in about 6 PM. And the room smelled strongly of cleaning supplies. So, at least it was clean.
The A/C unit was old and busted, not able to pull much of the moisture out of the room. The mattress was OK for being springs. At least the beds had real blankets on them...nice, clean, real blankets. We like blankets over foo-foo duvets any day, or night!
The lobby area is nice, as is the spa/jacuzzi and the pool. The dining area was also nice. Too bad our room was not as nice when it came to comfort.
For breakfast, order just one $10 Sheraton Breakfast special: it's more than enough eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast for two.
Great location near the harbor.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear LRutherford,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry that you were uncomfortable in your room but pleased that you did enjoy the amentities we have. It is unfortunate that you were not moved to a different location and that you had problems that were not addressed during your stay. Our Front Desk will always try their best to accomadate changes. Please call them if you ever stay again and have concerns. We are replacing the heating and air conditioning units. Again, I apologize for the discomfort you had during your stay.
San Bernardino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I use this hotel every time I go to Ventura. It has always been very clean and very well run. The check in desk staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and what I would hope for from a hotel. Many of the rooms have a small balcony with two chairs and has a view of the harbor. The food service is great. I've tried their breakfast buffet, regular breakafst and dinner. The food and service couldn't be better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Bob L.,
Thank you for letting us know you have stayed with us several times and for giving us a great review. We have so many wonderful frequent guests and we try to let them know how happy we are to see them. Every staff member will be pleased to know you are taken care of when you are here. Happy Traveling. Catherine Stevens, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stayed last week for one night and found the property very clean and nice. The desk staff were friendly and helped accommodate us - especially when we had a sick kid at 3am. Room was large and comfortable. We walked around the property and were always greeted by staff in a friendly manner. Drove into town and enjoyed the beach town atmosphere of Ventura. Would stay again if in the area.

Stayed September 2012
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
SAFamily5,
Thank you for your review of our property and staff. I remember how sad the Front Desk was when they told me your child was ill. We are happy you were able to enjoy our town and would come again. I hope you have many adventures and wonderful memories.
Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

1. The location of this property is excellent. The grounds are also quite beautiful so my wife and I enjoyed several long walks during our stay which we enjoyed tremendously.

2. Our experience at the restaurant was awful. I stopped by and looked at the menu and found only 1 vegetarian option (a pizza.) I asked if they had any other options and the guy didn't even look me in the eye while he said no. It was weird. He looked off into the distance and said they didn't have anything else they could make for us. I stay at a lot of hotels (+/-50 nights/year) and they always, always offer to make something. This place didn't even pretend to care or try.

3. Put this one in the "wah" category, but I'm SPG Platinum and supposed to get upgrades to suites when available. Well they were available (I checked the booking engine) and we didn't get a suite or even an upgraded room. This is one of my biggest peeves about some SPG properties and I do not go back to the ones who do this.

4. Staff was OK. They were willing to help when asked, but did not seem eager to be friendly or helpful.

5. The A/C in our room was awful. It would run for 30 seconds (no exaggeration) and then turn off for perhaps 30-60 minutes before coming on again for another 30 seconds. It was hot when we were there and my wife, daughter and I were all quite hot. We did not sleep well. When we checked out they apologized and removed the parking charges from our bill because of the A/C problem.

6. The continental breakfast they served us was sad. The pastries/croissants were stale. They seemed to be frozen and thawed out....maybe more than once? My wife is easy going and will eat pretty much anything if she's hungry, and even she pushed the plate away. The fruit was fresh at least.

Between the restaurant caring 0% about accommodating a very common request, the lack of upgrades when they were available, and the lackluster attitude of the desk staff, I will probably not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear LA-Business-Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. It helps me to discuss those areas we need to improve in. I will suggest to our restaurant that we accommadate requests for simple alternatives to the menu and discuss our continental breakfast. We have replaced our AC systems in the rooms. I apologize for any discomfort your family experienced. We do upgrade on a regular basis to suites. I do not know what the suite situation was during your stay. We have 4 suites and 2 are on the 1st floor, with limited view. It is a possibility that the Front Desk thought you would prefer a better harbor view instead, as most our Platinum Members do. We value our SPG guests and apologize for not making your stay the best possible stay.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

When we checked in to the hotel the manager went out of his way to assist us in securing another room and another night on a crowded week-end. Complete patience on his part and no amount of time to spend with us on the phone with SPG was a problem for him.
Top notch customer service, thank you!
In gratitude,
Sarah

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dera sunnysarah520,
Thank you so much for letting us know that we were of help to you during your stay with us. We do have a fantastic staff and Manager. I hope you come and stay with us again. We will wow you again.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor? Share your experiences!