“perfect choice for our anniversary” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Mountain View
“perfect choice for our anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband and I met in Ventura Harbor 20 years ago, when he was a young boat captain and I was a rookie reporter. It is a special place for us and we wanted to revisit. I was excited to learn that Sheraton had taken over the run down hotel at the harbor, and better yet the hot tub we used to sneak into long ago had been refurbished. We reveled in the memories and are loving Ventura. Our room is clean and renovated and quiet (337, top floor, harbor view) and reasonably priced. The only odd thing is strange placement of the sofa. And they could use a hamper for wet towels at the hottub. Small things. We will be back. Love the sailing decor in the public areas and free access to laundry. Awesome job, Sheraton.

Room Tip: Go for the harbor views and be sure to check out the gorgeous atrium hotttub
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Hi Punaticfringe,
I remember you and your husband. You are a wonderful couple! We loved having you stay with us, and that we could help you relive a special time. It is so hard to go back to a previous place and have it be the same. Thank you for letting us know you had a good Anniversary. Your suggestions are taken care of! I will be looking forward to seeing you again. Until then, may you have many happy years together.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points Ventura Harbor Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Recently spent some Starwood Preferred Guest points for a two night, mid week getaway to CA's Central Coast. Hotel staff were outstanding - very accommodating, and knowledgable about the area and directions. Room was very comfortable, everything worked and we did not experience any of the negativity mentioned in other reviews.
Pool was clean and heated, with separately located hot tub. Grounds were immaculate.
Used hotel restaurant for breakfast both days and pleased to note portions were more than ample, with prices below those charged at other hotels. Great food, too!
Found Chicago for Ribs restaurant in downtown Ventura the first night and had great steaks. Went back the next night for ribs. We highly recommend. Drove up through Solvang to the Bridlewood Winery - beautiful drive and great winery. Don't miss!

Room Tip: Request harbor view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Travelover60, Thank you for the wonderful review. Our staff is very dedicated to our guests, and are so pleased when we have succeeded in making them at home and comfortable. It sounds like you had a good travel adventure while you were here. You gave great recommendations on our area. If you stay with us again, please stop by to say hello. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here using Starwood Points- lucky us! What a nice hotel. The staff was very friendly. We knew about the $10/parking from reviews here, so we were prepared for that. The location was very convenient to the harbor (especially to the sea kayaking we did one morning). The hot tub was in this cool little pavilion and had towels there. It was a little jaunt from the hot tub to the pool, so that's a bit less convenient, but not major. And the rooms face outwards so it is cold at night to run over to the hot tub! Also, try to get a room that doesn't face the main road so it is less noisy. But outside of that, the rooms were very nice, large, and clean. I was very happy staying here and would do so again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear rtoblin, Thank you for your review and comments, on our wonderful staff. You have given us a very thoughtful summary. If you have a favorite area of the property to stay, please call ahead to give us your preference. It is a nice area and we all enjoy the closeness to the beach and harbor but we do have those chilly nights. Love to have you stop by on your next visit. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at the Four Points Ventura Harbor as our first leg of a Pacific Coast highway trip. They gave us a room that overlooked the harbor with a nice big balcony. We were very pleased with the hotel, location, and the view. The room was well appointed, sparkling clean, had a comfortable bed, and was centrally located to the Ventura sights. The view of the harbor was really sweet. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and welcoming. It's a wonderful place to stay to explore and then come back to a nice comfortable room. If you are looking for a resort - it is not. If you are looking for a polished place to relax and take in the local area it is perfect. We would stay here again and again.

Room Tip: As for an upstairs room for the best harbor views!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CSGoodman, You gave a very gracious and thoughtful review of our property. I have a friend who always wanted to drive the Ventura Highway, and you made me think of that. We are happy to have made you comfortable and relaxed in your stay. You are always welcome again and again. Come say hello on your next visit. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
MUGS62
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Unfortunately, this hotel is in great need of rennovation. The rooms are dated, furniture is old and worn. During recent stay, the room freshener was so strong, that I had to open sliding door to get some "fresh air". It was a cool day and too cold to have door open so I tried to turn on the heater -- oops, no heat! This could be a nice hotel as it is located on the beautiful Ventura Harbor....BUT, I'm actually sorry I didn't book my stay at the local Motel 6 -- I'm sure the accommodations would have been better!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Mugs62, We are sorry you had an uncomfortable stay at our property and will discuss your review with our staff. We try to respond to issues in the rooms promptly. We did a complete renovation of our property in late 2008, and continue to improve our amenities. Thank you for taking the time to review us. It will help our staff. If in the future, you stay with us, please let me know. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

As the Host of "Sell This House Extreme" on A&E, I stay in different hotels every month around the country. My standards are high but reasonable and since I've traveled the world and have experienced the Best and the Worst of hospitality, I say it pretty much as it is.

The Four Points By Sheraton in Ventura is deemed a Starwood Property. If it wasn't a Starwood Property I would be much more easy going about this review but with the "Starwood" name, comes a certain image that people like myself (a Starwood Preferred Guest!) expect!
This however is not one of those properties.

And it's located in the middle of nowhere!

THE ROOMS:
*walking up to the room you get sort of a Hotel/Motel feel. The doors to the room are outside for the most part and the hall ways and overall decor is less than fancy which gave me visions of staying at a Motel!
*Entering the room the decor is plain but ok, beds are pretty good and the bedding is nice.
* the room service menu is quite UNHEALTHY. Last night I was so tired and didnt want to go into town so I
passed on dinner altogether.
*nice TV's
*Free Internet which is a breath of fresh air!
*I was in room 325 which has an ok view of a less than glamorous marina.
*bath tubs are small and shallow but the shower head is nice. I live baths but not in these tubs.
*I almost fell yesterday while getting out of the shower because the ceramic tiles in the bathroom are VERY slippery when they get wet. Not safe for kids!!
*the bathrooms are set up well, enough counter space to put your toiletries and the vanity is seperate from the shower area which I like.

THE HOTEL other than the rooms:

It's not located in the nicest area and in the middle of nowhere. You have to drive to get to any nice places to eat and shop. It's kind of a depressing area and the hotel gives off a bit of a depressing vibe.
It looks and smells like a home for the elderly when you first walk through the doors. Decor is depressing and smells like they used too many chemicals keep the lobby clean. There is a little bar to the right that has no redeeming qualities except for that in the mornings they offer free coffee which I REALLY appreciate!

OVERALL:

It's just OK.....nothing horrible, nothing great! Flat across the board "OK but bordering on depressing."

I would not stay more than 2 nights and only for work purposes......and even then there are better choices.

I think Starwood should reconsider which hotels live up to their name.
I expected a "STARWOOD PROPERTY "
when I walked in. Because its only for work.....I was too tired to look for a better hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear Tanyamemme, Thank you for your review of our property. We were very sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant stay with us. We value our Starwood Guests and offer a welcoming guest amenity and free shuttle service to dinner. I will discuss all your review with staff. Thank you for being so forthright in your comments. We are a Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation design that gives our property a more open air design, indoor/outdoor atmosphere. Our property is near the Ventura Harbor so that it does appear to be further from the center of town than it is. It is unfortunate you weren't able to experience the Ventura Harbor Village with its shops and restaurants, just around the corner from us. There is also the boat landing that takes guests to the Channel Islands. We try to share all the benefits of the area with our guests. Please contact me if you stay with us again. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

This hotel has lovely grounds and great staff. Check in was easy and simple and the parking is nearby. They only charge $10 for parking and have in & out privileges which is cheaper than some other hotels of the same rating. Plus they have FREE wi-fi which is really great. We have found that many of the upscale hotels charge for wifi.

The room was very clean and the bed was so comfortable! Quiet and seemed newly remodeled.

Our only "complaint" was that we arrived on a Friday night and the entire lobby smelled strongly of fish - to the point we didn't want to eat in the restaurant figuring that was the source of the strong smell. It was still quite evident the next morning although we did eat breakfast in the restaurant. That would be the only thing the hotel needs to work on. Fruit was served with my eggs and the plate was very hot - hence the fruit slices were warm. The pineapple had the appearance it had been sitting out overnight and the cantaloupe tasted like celery - perhaps they were stored together and not covered? You have to like VERY strong coffee too!

We would stay again - and recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Malcolmsmom, Thank you for your review. It always helps us when we have a guest tell us about their stay with us. I am so happy to hear you would stay with us again. We will certainly discuss your comments with our staff. Anything we can do to make you more comfortable will always be our goal. Best Regards, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor? Share your experiences!