“Totally acceptable room, but the front desk needs an attitude adjustment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 20 hotels in Ventura
Los Angeles, California
“Totally acceptable room, but the front desk needs an attitude adjustment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I am a SPG elite traveler, but realistically know not to expect anything from a property that I have never been to before and I am not a frequent guest. This was my first time here and the place is appealing enough. The marina setting is mostly insignificant, because it smells bad and there are major farm fields across the street with extreme fertilizer stench. That being said, I tried to check in in the morning and after asking was told by the front desk without looking up my reservation, "check in time isn't until 4:00". It would go without saying I would think, that if I stay at Starwood Hotels alot I would know that, and more ofter than not if a hotel is not sold out the night before (and they weren't) i usually can check in in the morning. So I couldn't check in and I had things to do and so I did them. Returning 8 hours later, my room was ready and I checked in. I don't think they have SPG floors at this location, because I didn't have one. But, it looked like it had been renovated in the previous year or so. I always plan on a bottle of water or two when checking into my room, in this case there was none. I called down to the front desk and asked if someone could bring me a water. The front desk agent said that they "don't do that anymore." I asked for clarification on that and he gave me to the manager on duty. The manager acknowledge my call and said he would bring some water up right away. Strange! On check out day, I asked for a late check out. Rarely do I get 4:00 as Starwood promotes, but I would take 2 or 3. I asked the morning desk agent and she responded without looking at my room or status, "we don't give late check outs." After I pushed and she actually looked at my room, she reluctantly gave me a 1:00 check out. You would think it came out of her salary because the desk agent was not happy to extend it to me. In the world of hotel nightmares, this ranks about a .5 on a scale of 1 to 100. But a hugely improved stay could have been received if the obnoxiously unhelpful front desk got over themselves and been a little more aggressively hospitable. They can see I'm a frequent Starwood guest and they should know that Starwood always sends an email survey after each stay to it's elite guests. I usually fill them out, and usually when I was less than pleased. In an era of 12-15% unemployment in California, is this what we are stuck with when it comes to service employees? I know there are people willing to work for $10-12 an hour and not be condescending, full of attitude and unhelpful to guests.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Boston, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in August and really liked it a lot. It is very customer friendly, the rooms are lovely, the staff are all extremely helpful. I would definitely stay there again. It is easy to get to LA and to Santa Barbara from there. It just seemed a great hassle free place to stay at. I would suggest the reception staff explain about turning on the lights with the door key. I missed the sign on the reception desk telling me how to do it so they may want to point it out!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Juan Capistrano, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Since I was at this hotel last year a $10 per night parking fee has been introduced, largely because, as it was explained to me, the boat owners would use the hotel's parking lot. Alexander's Restaurant once again provided us with excellent meals and friendly staff. In fact, all of the staff at this hotel are pleasant and helpful and many are long-time employees. One thing that always bothers me: the balconies of the "harbor view" rooms have solid walls, so you can't see a thing without standing up. Would someone please insert windows into the walls like the Holiday Inn Express next door??!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We will be staying at this hotel for the second time and look forward to our next visit. Great location, walking distance to the Harbor and Good Restaurants. Food is average at this hotel for lunch and dinner, but breakfast are good, but how can you really mess up breakfast. Rooms are OK for a low price hotel. Front desk staff friendly and helpful. Left an expensive fleece on the back of a chair at the restaurant and went back to claim it from lost and found and no one returned it. I hope the restaurant employee who probably took it is enjoying it.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a view. They do have common areas that are enjoyable.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Paradise, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

The hotel overall was quite nice and well located, overlooking the Marina. Our room unfortunately was situated over the trash cans which didn't smell sweet, luckily it was October and not high summer.
The walls and floors must be thin as you can hear people walking and talking from all directions.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Overnight Business trip, found resort on line and decided to try it. It is on the Marina and room had a nice view with a balcony. All the Basic necessities and a mini fridge with complimentary water. 2 Daily newspapers free. Pillows were amazing!.Nice pool & spa. Great and friendly service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I was there last year . Parking was free last year. This year Parking is NOT free. I paid parking for $10.00 per day. I can't open the door for spa. I used my key card . It won't open for me . Strange.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor? Share your experiences!