“Drug dealers and prostitutes...” 1 of 5 stars

Travelers Beach Inn
929 East Thompson Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001   |
Ranked #20 of 20 hotels in Ventura
A TripAdvisor Member
“Drug dealers and prostitutes...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I were on a road trip and were passing through Ventura late and needed a place to sleep for the night. Well it was quite an experience. When we were checking in the couple at the front desk were arguing wiyh eachother on which room to give us. She insisted on the "good" room 237 because we looked like nice people. We should have known better. While walking to our room we noticed there were several people living in this hotel. 3 doors down from us there was a younger girl maybe late teens crawling through the window. When she noticed me watching her she said it was okay and that was her friends room. Well apparently it wasn't okay with the friend because when she came "home" an altercation broke out. There was screaming and yelling and the women said she had a male client with her and the young girl was saying she was out of her drugs. These disruptions continued through the night. More guys came and went. The next morning we went to shower and leave as soon as possible. We had absolutely no hot water! I nicely asked the female owner when checking out for some kind of a refund and explained why I was displeased. She refused and stated that I was lying there was hot water, they had just fixed the water heater. I'm positive I took a cold shower! And that she wouldn't give us a discount because she gave us the " nice" room that normally goes for $120 a night! Are you kidding me! I told her I thought she was crazy and left without my refund. Stay somewhere else, if we would have kept going on Thompson there were plenty of other hotels with I'm sure competitive rates without the prostitute/ drug dealer three doors down!

• Stayed April 2011

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Madrid, España
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We went to this hotel because both Santa Barbara and Carpinteria hotels were fully booked, so we were afraid of not finding another one. It was a mistake. Once you enter in the office you can smell dirtiness and curry but the worse thing is the room. There should be bugs because the next day the body itch to everybody. Also I made the mistake of going barefood to the bathroom. The fitted carpet was so dirty that my feet were sticked. It was horrible. I really think that the place should be closed, even is the most cheap motel that I've found in California.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
L.A.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

even if you are on a budget, as i was, DO NOT STAY IN THIS FILTHY HELL HOLE. i woke up at 3 am to find the room, 233, infested with bed bugs. when i complained, i was told the manager was in India (go figure) by a rude, smelly Indian woman who may or may not have had a minor command of english. hard to tell. DISGUSTING. SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!

BTW, i called the ventura county dept. of health. they don't take complaints of this nature.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Ventura, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2007

This was the worst experience I have ever had at a "motel". The actual term to desribe thisplace would be Motel Hell or even Crack Heaven. The rooms were filthy. The management (when they could be located) were rude, slovenly and allowed their children to roam around the parking lot...even after it started to get dark. Trying to make the best of it, we decided to go out for dinner and even though the walk to downtown was reasonable, it was like walking through a mini-ghetto, homeless people and prostitutes on the corners. We ate, and took a cab back to the room. When we got there there were police cars everywhere and someone was getting arrested right next door to our room! After waiting for the traffic to clear out, we finally get to our room. We started to relax and after about an hour, things seemed to be settling down, when all of a sudden we had a loud banging on the door! Someone stood outside and was calling for someone that he obviously thought shoulkd be here. We shouted through the door that there was no one here like that and thank goodness, he went away. We decided then to just get some sleep and get out of here as early as we could. We pulled the covers down and the sheets had not even been changed. That was it....we left and went down and double booked at another motel...Do not stay here, unless you are suicidal.

• Liked — There were no redeeming qualities about this place whatsoever
  • Disliked — Let's see...filth,prostitutes, drugs, police activity or crazy people....which one ?
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

My husband and I flew from Oregon to attend our Aunt's Funeral and we were turned down by several hotels because of the State Fair,so when we finally found this one,we were relieved to find out they had a room.We paid for 3 nights but we were told that our room would not be ready for an hour so we left to be with family.When we returned it was about 11:30pm we grabbed our bags and TRIED to walk upstairs to our room however it appears that families actually live there and we were stopped at the middle of the stairs by this group of people who would not allow us to pass,they were staring us down as if to intimidate us we finally were ALLOWED to pass,we opened our door and the odor about knocked us off the balcony! We were so tired and exausted that we just proceded to ignore the smell,we put our bags down and looked around, the bathroom was disgusting the shower was covered in grime and rust the toilet was so dirty I put toilet paper down before I used it! We went ahead and tried to sleep but the other patrons kept us up until 3am yelling,blasting their music,slamming doors,etc We finally fell asleep and woke up around 7am And I was in tears I could not spend another night in this DUMP we tried to get someone to come to the window so we could return the key but no one would answer th bell And thats when we saw the sign on the outside window thats off to the side of the office door that says NO REFUNDS! At that point we were so angry we left and found another room on the beach at the Comfort Inn it was great! So travelers beware this place sucks and later on in our stay, I was told it is known as "THE HOOKER MOTEL" that explained everything!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
lv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

This place was sketchy from the time we pulled in. Let me start with the room, it was dirty, there were shoe prints all over the wall and door where it looked like someone was trying to hold the door from someone trying to break in. The sink didn't work, there was a bloody palm print on the back of the door. The room in all was disgusting. I saw a drug transaction take place as well as hookers being picked up at the store across the street and heading back to the hotel. This is a place where local drug dealers and hookers live full time. But what REALLY took the cake was the crash we heard at 6:30 am, we later found out that a lady jumped out the window to avoid harm. There was blood on the curtain, window and wall. Avoid this place if you value your life.

• Stayed July 2007
Rosedale, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

IT was late at night and I needed a cheap room. I figured anything would do, and since it was right by the beach I thought it wouldn't be that bad. This is what I saw and heard while at the motel: scruffy and noisy little children running around and biking, women with tattoos and one missing front teeth, a man on a bike with plastic bags full of aluminum cans, loud music and loud vehicles. And the thing is that these people all LIVE HERE! My room was a basic motel room, but walk outside and it's awful. There is a sign in the office that reads "No Refunds". No kidding...you don'[t need to wonder why that is posted.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Travelers Beach Inn? Share your experiences!