“One night in Ventura” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Auckland
“One night in Ventura”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

A very comfortable room for our one night in Ventura. I chose this centre as it was further north of LA & on our way up the coast. Loved the view of the harbour, especially watching the sunset from the deck. Large bathroom was a plus also. We had a car & I must say I was surprised to have to pay for the parking - didn't even have to do that in downtown San Francisco. Pleasant place to stay. Had dinner at the Harbour restaurant which was an easy choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Barbara H,
Thank you for telling us sbout your stay in Ventura at our property. We have a great beach town and we love our Harbor, So many people are surprised we have so many attractions and things to do, but as you said, it is a great stopping off point as well. I Hope you will visit us again. Our beach parking is at a premium and we do have to make sure our parking lot is for guests only. I am sorry you did not know we charged for parking. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Ventura.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Pros: rooms are large, come with microwave and fridge, hot breakfast included daily, great views with balcony,shuttle pick up to LAX at this location, connects to Four Points but is a small walk, easy walk to harbor for shops and restaurants

Cons:No restaurant on site (have to walk next door or to harbor),rooms a little more humid than Four Points due to being directly on the harbor, no down pillows (even though they claim as down), beds average, old hallways and elevator, intermittent wifi access, staff not as friendly as Four Points Sheraton next door, weak a/c which smelled like mold, TV doesn't swivel and is too small for size of room, breakfast not great but edible if you're not too picky.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Cindy O O,
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry it was not as pleasant as it should have been. We are in the process of plans to expand, upgrade and provide the services you suggest should be there. We are fortunate to be able to use the the pool, restaurant, tennis courts, Spa, and jacuzzi at Four Points until we have completed our full plans. Please come and stay with us and see the possibilities for fun when we have it all done. Happy traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn Express and Suites Ventura
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

first you need to pay for parking, the place look like motel not like holiday inn. the smell of mold!!!miserly breakfest!!! breads tool is empty, no chocolate, no cheese!!! nothing to eat! even the view look like slopehouse. dont go there!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dera Noa1,
I am so sorry that your stay with us was unpleasant and that you were unhappy with the harborview Thank you for letting us know what you were disappointed in. We will review your comments with staff. I will pass on your suggestions on our breakfast area. We always hope our guests will be comfortable and enjoy their stay. I hope you have happy traveling and if you visit us again, please let me know.
Santa Cruz, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed one night, had a harbor view 2nd floor room. Room was very spacious with a wrap-around patio. We walked over to the sister hotel, Sheraton Four Points, to use the pool. There is a 2nd floor walkway between the hotels, very convenient. Our room was very clean, very quiet, and all around great. I am a very light sleeper and always worry about noise from other rooms . . . none here.

Nice continental breakfast in the morning.

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Aunteen,
Thank you for letting us know that you had a great stay with us. We love to share our great location and the possibilities around our property. I am happy you took advantage of the pool and had a quiet night. Happy Traveling. Come see us again.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn Express and Suites Ventura Harbor
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We came here for a family wedding in town and had a really relaxing time in the hotel. There are lots of boats in the harbor and it is really calming here. Beautiful view. Each night we opened the sliding door and bathroom window instead of using the air conditioning and woke up refreshed. The beds are very comfortable to sleep in. Rooms are very quiet except for those on the floor above. You can hear them walking in their rooms. We had a king rom. There is a lot of space here and lots of storage too.
The rooms come with a continental breakfast. For something fast, it's ok. The eggs, sausage, and bacon need some help. If you want a better breakfast, walk next door to the Four Points, which is owned by the same owner of this hotel.
The staff at this property is very nice and always saying hello to you. Made me feel at home while staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GoSlow1981,
Thank you for a great review. I am sorry that the breakfast wasn't more pleasant but thank you for recommending Alexander's Restaurant.Our staff members love their job of meeting, and making at home, all our guests. You all come from different areas, states and countries. We learn so much from our guests. We have a lot to share here in our city and are so very happy you enjoyed your stay. Have a wonderful fall and happy traveling.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I didn't quite get the same Holiday Inn feel with this property-- it's super-remodeled and smells, well, old. Bed was very uncomfortable, and a smell wafted in from outside on a nightly basis. Wifi was good, great desk service (such a friendly night desk man welcomed me with a Priority Goodie Bag!) and the restaurant next door even cut up a watermelon for me that I got from a fruit stand. All in all, not a bad stay, but the oldness of the property really showed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear wandersmuch

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our WI-FI and desk service.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the smell and the uncomfortable bed. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have to stay here for 12 days for business ... I usually stay at a different hotel in Ventura (I come here every 8 weeks or so for the last few years) but that hotel was booked, so my client put me here.

My main complaint is noise: every night my room shakes with music from somewhere. The first couple nights I went out in the hallway: silence. Went outside to see if my upstairs neighbors were blasting from their balcony, and realized the noise was all over the harbor. Tonight when it got much worse (9:30pm on a Wednesday, I'm worried how bad it'll be on the weekend), I called the front desk and was told sorry, there's live music in the marina club nearby and they can't do a thing about it. They only have a few rooms that don't face the harbor and they're booked for the remainder of my trip.

They had nothing else to say, just nope, gotta live with it. The end. How about this Holiday Inn: Better soundproofing in the harbor-facing windows? Or for the short term, to make a an upset guest not so upset ... offer to knock a night or two off your guest's bill? A white noise machine? Free ear plugs? Something? I can't stand it when a business just shrugs its shoulders.

I'm in a kitchenette which is serviceable, except it's a half-size refrigerator (thought it was the dishwasher -- nope no dishwasher) and it's lacking many basics: No dish soap or sponge or towel, no bottle opener or can opener, no toaster, no plastic containers, no steak knives. I had to buy those myself for this 12 day trip.

The TV is bolted to the top of a dresser about 12 feet from the bed and 20 feet from the couch. No Showtime or AMC or Bravo, but they do have HBO. If you're a fan of Mad Men or Nurse Jackie or Dexter, bring a laptop/tablet. They do have excellent free wi-fi.

The housekeeping and engineering staff have been wonderful and welcoming. The front desk people on the other hand seem pretty disconnected, robotic-like. They informed me that there was a $10/day fee for parking without batting an eye. (what the heck ... it's not like there's any public transportation out here. And the parking lot is HUGE, 2/3 empty).

Is there a pool? "In the Sheraton next door, it's our sister property." Is there a workout room? "In the Sheraton." Is there a restaurant? "In the Sheraton." How about breakfast? "Oh yes we do serve a complimentary breakfast." I checked it out, typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast, serviceable. If you're good with cereal and yogurt and defrosted pale yellow omelettes, you'll be happy. Some fresh fruit and milk available. I cooked my own breakfast in the room.

The location next to the harbor is wonderful, it makes for wonderful walks any time of day, gazing out at all the sailboats in the marina. Very clean, well-kept, nice landscaping. They have a few bikes to rent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Amarie0,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and that the festivities in the harbor were disturbing to you. We will be expanding and remodeling our property in the future to include a pool and workout room and that will make a long term stay more comfortable. Our staff do try to help our guests relax and have an uncomplicated stay. We will discuss your review.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn Express and Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor? Share your experiences!