“My favorite place to eat” 5 of 5 stars

805-652-1521
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Taj Cafe Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 337 Restaurants in Ventura
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Bouma
“My favorite place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I live in Ventura and Taj is my favorite place to eat. I usually get the coconut curry with chicken, my wife usually gets the vegetable korma. Michael and the staff are very friendly and the portions are so big I usually have leftovers. After dinner we usually have to walk up and down Main St a few times because we are so full.

Geoff M

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ventura, California
“Excellent Indian food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We ate last night at the Taj Cafe in downtown Ventura, the place was pretty crowded which usually bodes well for taste! We got a table at the front of the restaurant right in the window, it felt like we had a front row seat for the evening promenade down Main street. Anyway our waiter, Michael, treated us to several specials that were not on the menu which were delicious. There was yummy cracker like bread with 3 dipping sauces, all wonderful. Make sure to ask for the "Butter Chicken" a delicious dish of boneless Chicken Breast chunks smothered in Butter and spices. Michael offered to create a "sharing" menu so we could taste a variety of dishes and we were glad we took his advice. The Chicken Tikka was also quite tasty, as were the Saffron rice, and a Spinach and cheese dish that was rich and also good. We completed the dinner with a shared dessert, a sweet round cake smothered in honey and spices, it was good. Good dinner, we will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ahmedabad
“Excellent service, tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

If you are looking for authentic Indian food in this small town Taj Cafe is the place to go. It is situated in the center of the town and is easy to locate. We had a variety of vegetarian dishes twice during our stay, all nicely cooked and presented. The service is impeccable with personal attention paid to every visitor. The only minus point, if you looking for one, is mock severity of the manager. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Ventura, California
“Go to The Taj! Excellent Indian Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Located downtown on Main Street, The Taj serves up some of the best food in all of Ventura. I feel like its interior could use a facelift but who really cares when the food tastes as good as it does. If you want to people watch and have a little privacy at the same time, ask for one of the front window tables. Sometimes they'll even present you with a free appetizer just for showing up! Oddly enough, Ventura has several Indian restaurants from which to choose. Always go with The Taj!

• Visited May 2014
Santa Paula, California
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Some friends took us out for Indian food, I had not eaten Indian food since I was in Scotland. Food was out of this world, excellent. Michael was our waiter and really catered to us. Friendly and good service. I am looking forward to going back again soon.
The question of is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant, is a tough one. I don't use the term excellent very often, however, it is tough to say the best meal ever. I really enjoyed it, so did the others in our party. Any chance I can skip that question at the beginning?
We are all looking forward to returning again soon.

• Visited July 2014