“ok not the Best” 4 of 5 stars

805-652-1521
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Taj Cafe Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 337 Restaurants in Ventura
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Falls Church, Virginia
“ok not the Best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I am a big Indian food fan, Samosa was good, but Chicken tikka was tough and dried, naan was ok.... Michael was good helping us pick the food.... It is in the heart of Downtown Ventura.. I would give it 4/5..

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ventura, California
“A Great First Indian Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Last night my friend took me out for my first Indian dining experience. Our server was Michael and he was great. I told him it was my first Indian cuisine and he smiled and said he will make it the best for me. He offered his suggestions of the best meals at the restaurant. I got the chicken tikka masala and it was delish!! He had given us some of the potato pancakes to try and showed us how to mix the different sauces together. Very yummy flavors of mints, sweets, and sours. He then offered us a great rice dessert which was a perfect way to end the meal. Michael was sweet and walked me through the whole experience of eating Indian food. Everything was delicious and I will definitely be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Anaheim, California
“bad indian food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I don't understand other reviewers, food here is not that good, we ordered the rack of lamb and it was way overcooked, the shrimp masala was bland, and service was tooo slooowww.
No going back anytime soon

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“The best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have been frequenting Taj Cafe for almost a year now. Whenever I travel, Indian food is the only food I crave after Mexican. I gave all the Indian restaurant in Ventura a chance,( others being average), Taj has always been beyond my expectations. Chicken tikka masala is definitely one of my favorite dish & these guys make it the best. Nice & flavorful, creamy & perfectly balanced with spices. But then I was brave enough to try the coconut curry...... OMG... The lamb was high quality, not gamey at all. I usually don't eat buffet , but the server told me to try it. So i did. I think it's the best value for the quality you get. Great service always. Love this place. I wish I had an Indian restaurant as good as this in Denver. Having the movie theater right across the street is a big plus.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“How did it rank so high”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Wonder why this place supposed to be the best indian food in town, service was ok. We tried the chicken tandoori and it was surprisingly bland with tough chicken, my wife got the Samosa which was just ok. We wanted to leave with something good and sweet so we tried the Gulab Jamun for Dessert, but it wasn't sweet enough. We'll give them another try.

• Visited November 2012