“TERRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Marigny-le-Cahouet
“TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

3 friends travelling up the coast and we found Shores Inn and Suites ideally located in Ventura. The price was reasonable, and so I suppose we should have checked the rooms first. Charlie and I had a room with a fabulous power shower, but the whole place reeked of smoke. The sheets were cleanish!! Beth's room was ok, not too smoky but her bathroom was horrendous, and the sheets had not been changed from the previous occupants. I have posted pics of the bath mat, and the hair in the bath. It was unacceptable. When we phoned the owner to give some constructive commentary, he was not interested, and just commented that we chose to spend the night there! We were not asking for any compensation, just trying to point out that he needed to pay a bit more attention to the cleanliness of the rooms. Very, very disappointing attitude from someone in the hospitality industry. I would not recommend this hotel/motel to anyone, and would rather spend the night in the car!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This one was hard to swallow, I had fond memories staying here during summer vacations as a youth so when we pulled into town this is the first place I stopped. Unfortunety the past 20+ years have not been kind to this place or the whole area for that matter. We arrived early afternoon obviously before the pimps and drug dealers woke up because there was little on no activity in the parking lot at the time.
I began to feel uneasy when I saw the poor condition of the office, It looked like somones dirty little crash pad rather than a place of business, there were several people in there just hanging out, smoking cigarettes and watching TV, none seemed to work there or have any idea where anyone who did work there was located. As I was turning around to leave the manager showed up and asked me if I needed help. I was reluctant after seeing the condition of the office but inquired about vacancy anyway. He said he had a great deal on an upstairs "suite" that had an ocean view that he could let me have for $80.00 per night. THANK GOD I asked to see it first before I commited... He gave me the key and pointed to the staircase around the side of the building. Once I got to the top of the stairs it was clear that some of the residents were perminant as there were personal belongings, boxes, hosehold junk, etc. piled high outside some of the doors, once I entered the "suite" I was shocked... It was a filthy old trashed out studio apartment with names and grafitti carved in the headboard, cigarette burns on the carpet, and bars on the window that supplied the tiny sliver of "ocean view" There was an old beat up TV litteraly "chained" to the wall with a 1" link chain and masterlock. We quickly turned around and got out of there. When I returned the key to the front desk and said no thank you the manager immediately said "sorry we don't do refunds" When I informed him that I had not given him any money, he just gave me a dazed and puzzled look~?
We got out of there and after calling around and finding other places full we ended up staying at the end of the street at " Inn on the Beach" and it was also in a tired rundown condition although nowhere near the creep show condition of this crackhouse.
This little beach village was quite the place in it's day. It's really sad how depressed it is has gotten....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor we decided to try this motel. It's in a interesting beachy area of Ventura, bike rental across street, good and funky restaurants, rode bikes to downtown and to the fairgrounds. Got back to motel for 3pm check in, nothing earlier, only to be put in a smoking room. Changed rooms to non smoking and it was down hill from there. The sheets were dirty and thread bare, the room and bathroom were dirty and no towels etc.
It seems there are a lot of semi-permanent residences at motel and they all smoked. We went to dinner early came back to room and decided to leave, we couldn't stay in the room. This is the first time that has ever happened to us.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Stayed there recently, was there for two days. Was surprised to see the new remodeled rooms since the last time we were here, the young man in the front desk was polite and quick to accommodate us. Nice weather and just a quick walk to the beach with a lot of nice local restaurants on the way there. Will be coming back for summer this place has really cleaned up!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

The outside is painted blue with bright red and white flowers hanging over the stair cases.. i went ahead and stayed there.
the suite had a nonworking stove (no breakfast)
the sheets where ridiculously thin and where stained in a large area (eww)
the bathroom had no toilet paper waste basket soap (surprised it had running water)
The tv was static without repair (i thought it was a connection prob. but it wasnt)
The remote control had no batteries (we instisted on customer service and they never came)
Towels where stained.. to think just one or two.. but all where stained
the drug traffic was most active at night.. not to mention our door would not lock.. in which case we had to place one of the stained couches in front of the door to feel safe.
i felt the need to communicate with hand signals with my sisters who where across the room.

pay the difference. stay safe!

• Stayed March 2011
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I recently stayed at the shores inn,The customer service was absolutely horrible,The guy, who checked me in, didn’t even turn down the TV to acknowledge me. Then when I said “hello” he didn’t even get up out of his chair until a few minute later after I filled out my reg card.He handed me a key and sent me to a filthy room, the Comforter had white stains all over, the bathroom was dirty a lot of hair in the bath tub. Half of the furniture was either dirty or broken. My headboard almost fell from the wall. When I complained to the guy at the office he said there was nothing he could do because the maid had already left,Then I asked for my money back and he told me that they don't offer refunds so I was stuck in that nasty, trashy hotel.I had the worst sleep ever with all the drug and prostitution traffic. I couldn’t wait to get the heck out of there.
When I got home, I spent a half an hour going through my luggage because I was afraid that I brought home bedbugs or something worse.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Big Bear Region, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Last night there was a parade of unsavory characters shuttling from room to room and the strong smell of dope smoke. Could not get out fast enough. when I told the desk person on checkout that the sheets were worn out, he shrugged. If you like druggies and prostitutes, this is that place to be on a Friday night!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Shores Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!