“You'll enjoy some unique and authentic Mexican food - we sure did” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taqueria Cuernavaca

Taqueria Cuernavaca
1117 N Ventura Ave, Ventura, CA 93001
805-653-8052
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 389 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Mexican
Long Beach, California
“You'll enjoy some unique and authentic Mexican food - we sure did”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We went based on reviews and we were so happy we did. First, don't be at all put off by the location - it's not on the typical beaten path - when you see it, have no doubts, just walk and you'll be happy you did. First, the service is very fast, friendly, and helpful. There was a steady stream of people, and everyone was helped quickly. The salsas were like nothing I've ever had. They were more like sauces, blended smooth and wonderful unique flavors that I wish i had the recipe too. Spicy, and i don't really eat spicy food, but i couldn't resist. I refilled 2 more times. I had al pastor sopas - something I love, but rarely see in most Mexican restaurants. Three came on the plate, nicely presented. At which time, I told my husband, I'll never all this. I cleaned my plate. Flavors were great and the sauces added a delicious finishing touch. My husband had the Sabrosa - a first for us. It was al pastor prepared meat with grilled onions, peppers, sauteed together, topped with cheese and served with corn tortillas. Another clean plate and a happy husband. Highly recommend a meal or two here if you're in the area. And, the fact the prices are so reasonable makes it even a better idea to dine there.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston, Massachusetts
“Solid authentic fair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

You can't hate Taqueria Cuernavaca. This is some very good authentic food at a reasonable price. Be sure to bone up on your Spanish because the entire menu is written in it. Their salsa bar is top notch too. It's a wonderful hidden gem. If you like real mexican food, give it a try

London
“Some great Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I were looking for some good Mexican food in Ventura and came across this restaurant. The place was busy when we entered but we got a table quite quickly and ordered a number of tacos and quesadillas. The meat (pork) in the tacos was really tasty and when we added the salsa it was a great taco. We ordered two chicken quesadillas, one spicy the other not and both were very tasty. Their guacamole was the best we tasted on our trip.
Service was very friendly and efficient. Would happily recommend it for anyone looking for an authentic taqueria in Ventura.

• Visited March 2013
“Authentic Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Found a small restaurant in Ventura with good Mexican food at value prices. Order tacos and serve yourself the salsa and onions "salad bar" style. Save room for some flan for dessert..... Yum!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ojai, California
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Last night we ate at Cuernavaca on the Avenue again. The food is delicious, fresh and authentic. You will find dishes prepared here that are not at any of the AmeriMexican restaurants in Ventura.
It's so good that I dream about the food and can't wait to go there again. The other great thing about Cuernavaca is that it has a nice relaxed atmosphere and isn't noisy. The people that work there are very nice and pleasant. Special foods we like: The Veggie tacos #1 and #2, the Alambre Vegetariano and the mole enchiladas. Their mole sauce is mmmm so good.

• Visited November 2012