“FANTASTIC!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 382 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: the freshest clams and mussels I have ever tried. Basically farm fresh, sold from a concession in the beach side state park. BBQ yourself - superb!
Ventura, California
“FANTASTIC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I am not sure why the below review was so negative. If they would have inquired a bit more then they would have found out that a cheap shuck knife ($5) was available for purchase. They missed out on the best thing going for oysters and clams in the area! I HIGHLY recommend their sauces as well. Their latest fusion sauce is the BOMB! If you come to the area and do not stop here, you have missed out on one of the best deals and experiences of our area.

• Visited March 2013

Cranford, New Jersey
“Shucks...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were riding on the path and noticed Jolly Oyster. The only prob. is you have to shuck your own. It would be nice if they offered the service to you even for a little extra $$. We wish we could have tasted the oysters.

Visited February 2013
Monrovia
“Trailer on the Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife had read an article in Sunset Magazine about this business. This is a place where you shuck your own oysters and steam your own clams. I stocked up with oyster knives, cooking pots and a butane stock and with friends we drove to Ventura on a warm Saturday afternoon. We entered the State Beach park and drove to the far end of the parking lot. Here was a Trailer and several picnic tables and bbq stands. We ordered oysters and clams. They were large and very tasty. It was fun to steam our own clams in a broth with wine we had pre-made.

• Visited October 2012
Carpinteria, California
“Hidden Pearl”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've lived on the Central Coast for a long time and I've eaten a lot of oysters. I had only heard second-hand compliments about the Jolly Oyster. I finally made my way over there on an abnormally chilly, Sunday afternoon. This place is literally a trailer in the parking lot at the state beach. I chose to park outside the state beach and walk in (it's not that far). Mark who runs the place was really friendly and laid back. He shared some info about the owner, where the oysters are farmed and let me try an oyster on the house - which was nice fresh, a bit salty and very tasty. The price was what you'd usually expect to pay - about a $1 each. I was taking my order to go so didn't stick around to enjoy the picnic area. But it was very nice with benches, and a bbq. All of the oysters I took home were outstanding. This is my new go-to place for oysters...they have clams too and I'm going to get those next time. If you can get here you should...cool spot helps makes Ventura unique.

• Visited January 2013
Stilwell, Kansas
“As much an attraction as a great place to eat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

What a setting in a park on the beach. Bring a bottle (or two) of good central coast wine, buy some oysters, some sides and settle in fun a great picnic in a wonderful setting. They have everything you need. Of course you can bring some of your own side dishes. What a fun change of pace.

• Visited December 2012