“Trailer on the Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 402 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: the freshest clams and mussels I have ever tried. Basically farm fresh, sold from a concession in the beach side state park. BBQ yourself - superb!
Monrovia
“Trailer on the Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife had read an article in Sunset Magazine about this business. This is a place where you shuck your own oysters and steam your own clams. I stocked up with oyster knives, cooking pots and a butane stock and with friends we drove to Ventura on a warm Saturday afternoon. We entered the State Beach park and drove to the far end of the parking lot. Here was a Trailer and several picnic tables and bbq stands. We ordered oysters and clams. They were large and very tasty. It was fun to steam our own clams in a broth with wine we had pre-made.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank fcd4usc

Carpinteria, California
“Hidden Pearl”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've lived on the Central Coast for a long time and I've eaten a lot of oysters. I had only heard second-hand compliments about the Jolly Oyster. I finally made my way over there on an abnormally chilly, Sunday afternoon. This place is literally a trailer in the parking lot at the state beach. I chose to park outside the state beach and walk in (it's not that far). Mark who runs the place was really friendly and laid back. He shared some info about the owner, where the oysters are farmed and let me try an oyster on the house - which was nice fresh, a bit salty and very tasty. The price was what you'd usually expect to pay - about a $1 each. I was taking my order to go so didn't stick around to enjoy the picnic area. But it was very nice with benches, and a bbq. All of the oysters I took home were outstanding. This is my new go-to place for oysters...they have clams too and I'm going to get those next time. If you can get here you should...cool spot helps makes Ventura unique.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank CA_dreamer__103066
Stilwell, Kansas
“As much an attraction as a great place to eat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

What a setting in a park on the beach. Bring a bottle (or two) of good central coast wine, buy some oysters, some sides and settle in fun a great picnic in a wonderful setting. They have everything you need. Of course you can bring some of your own side dishes. What a fun change of pace.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank amfpvks
“Best little seafood shack ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

You have got to try this place. It is not a resturant in the traditional sence. They are more of a sea food wholesaler. They sell two types of oysters and manila clam. You cook or shuck them right there on the beach. There are picnic benches and BBQ grill provided by the state park. 10$ parking for day use. Everything is amazing you really just need to try this place.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
ROME
“excellent oyters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Well what else I can say, the oysters are extremely fresh, and the quality is exceptionally high. I use to eat oysters in France but these are really good. Mark, the person in charge, is simply outstanding. He's always ready to help you and give you some advice. I look forward to come back. Thanks again Mark.
P.S. this is a "do it yourself" place, so come with all the equipment and accessories, like wine, oyster's knife, lemon..

• Visited September 2012