“Deceptive Advertising/Loud Train” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
La Mirada, California
“Deceptive Advertising/Loud Train”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

This location touts both a pedestrian bridge to the beach and a "make your own waffle" station at their hot complimentary breakfast. What they do not tell you about the ped bridge is that to get to it you have to walk through a rusted out, falling down gate (I am not kidding) that is at the rear of the parking lot, then walk through a deadend street that is littered with debris and trash. It was not very nice. And while they did have a hot breakfast with eggs and potatoes, there was not a waffle or waffle maker to be seen. If you are considering staying here, be advised that not only is the 101 freeway right outside your window, but there are also loud trains that go along the same roadway.

Lastly, we accidently left behind two shirts when we checked out. I called that same day and asked that they be looked for and when found that they be shipped to me at my own expense. I was told I would receive a call early the next morning. I never did and when I called back in the afternoon I was told by the front desk, without them asking for my information, that nothing had been found. I felt that no one had even looked for my property and so called the corporate office. They lodged my complaint and the very next day I received a call from the hotel saying they had located my property. Quite amazing! It demonstrated to me that the staff at this location do not care about their customers- I will never stay here again and definitely do not recommend anyone else stay here either. For your information, I stayed here for one night and paid $150 for my room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Pleasant Hill, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

I stayed at this hotel the weekend of June 11-12...other than being right ON a freeway on-ramp, it was a great stay! After reading other reviews, I had asked for a room facing town, but alas! all they had was room facing pool/freeway/train tracks...& yes, one (or more) trains come by each night, but they honestly didnt bother us...the noise of the 101 freeway during the day is NOISY, of course...especially if you are out in the pool area...you close your eyes & swear you are lounging out in the middle of the freeway with the cars racing around you! They do need some more "ambiance" in the pool area...big terra-cotta vases w/ bouganvillea or red geraniumswith greenery..the area was too "white" & stark & "cementy"..pool went to 7ft...staff was friendly & courteous & helpful...rooms are extra large & beds must be oversized-queens...room 123 was our room (handi-capped..which was all they had left in non-sm) but very comfortable...new carpet/wall-paper/paint...small vanity area, but it did have a sink..& also a sink in the bathroom area. All in all, I would definetly stay there again!

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2005

Bad part of town with homeless people. Smokey smell. Hot breakfast was powdered eggs and stale sausage. Staff was OK.

• Stayed April 2005
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2005

Myself and my husband stayed at the Inn this past week after I researched it on Trip Advisor. My husband was pleasantly surprised and so was I. The room had a king sized bed and a huge room on the 2nd floor. Thank you to the other review that mentioned that note about facing the city - we heard the train a couple times, but ultimately it was very peaceful.

Breakfast was included (scrambled eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, choice of 3 cereals, some fruit, yogurt and breads from 6am - 9am?), but it wasn't GREAT. We ate breakfast at Franky's on Main - sweet older waitress there who kept us laughing.

All in all, quiet, clean, AWESOME & pleasant service by hotel staff and a good price. Thank you Country Inn & Suites!

• Stayed March 2005
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2005

My wife and I have stayed here four times and can't wait for the fifth.
The location is ideal situated right between the beach and classic downtown Ventura (They've really cleaned it up in the last ten years)
and you can walk to both. I'd suggest when you make a reservation that you ask for a town view because with an ocean view you do hear the trains going by all day and night. The staff was friendly the the breakfast (free of charge) was unlike any "Continental breakfast" you would get anywhere else. The price is ideal too.

Yuba City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2005

I just finished spending a couple of nights in Ventura at the Country Inn and Suites at a cost of $70/night which was great for the area. I found the hotel to be very nice, clean and well kept, with nice bathrooms and good shower pressure (which always gets extra points from me). The staff were all helpful and pleasant. My room, on the second floor, faced away from the highway and train tracks and was very quiet. The highway is quite noisy and makes use of the outdoor areas around the pool difficult for quiet activities or conversation. The location is great, within blocks of Ventura's nice downtown, restaurants and bars and with easy access over the pedestrian walkway to the pier and the beach. The breakfast and happy hour were good but not great. Parking under the hotel was very convenient. I will definately look to stay here again for either business or pleasure when I'm in the Ventura area.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2005

I was very surprised at the value of this hotel. Not only was it one of the least expensive rooms available in the area for a decent hotel, but the full hot breakfast and managers receiption were nice extras. It is true that the rooms on the third floor smell like stale smoke, so if you don't smoke, don't stay up there. However, the second and first floors were just fine. Also, the train tracks and freeway are loud on the ocean side of the hotel, but the inland side worked real good for me and I am a light sleeper. I would definately return.

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura? Share your experiences!