“Hard to find, balcony's not worth it” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in Ventura
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Hard to find, balcony's not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was a functional hotel with large rooms and comfy beds. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was fine. It was difficult to find / get to though, and very easy to miss the hotel and rejoin the Interstate - and have to do another 'circle' to get to it. We had a room with a balcony - it's not what I expected from a balcony - it was fully enclosed and a bit like a greenhouse - you could see the sea, but a lot closer were the Interstate and a railway line - I think I would have preferred a room without a balcony.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony - it's not what I expected from a balcony - it was fully enclosed...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
VenturaCountryInn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate our property. We do appreciate the feedback. I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. We do offer open balconies on the opposite side. Hopefully you will give us another opportunity in the future.

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Messingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We had two nights here on our way North. We count this stay as one of our best stopovers. The happy hour was a bit of a bonus, a choice of three wines, beer & snacks & a pleasant lady to serve them.
The room we had was clean, spacious & away from the road & train tracks so was nice & quiet so no complaints from us.
The hotel is ideally situated for the pier & the beach. Have a walk on the pier & try your hand at fishing some of the locals seem to have a lot of luck at it!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I am a local resident of Ventura and this is the best kept secret for a special mini-vacation as a couple, family and/or road trip stop! I see people writing about the train and 101 freeway being behind this place and how that may be a noise problem but if you are from here like I am then anywhere you go in beautiful Historic Downtown Ventura you WILL hear the train. The 101 freeway seems to be a white noise that gets cancelled out by the AIR CONDITIONER or HUGE FLATSCREEN T.V. or kids in the room. My 2 young children actually enjoyed seeing the train go by on the bride just outside our window. We ALL enjoyed the HAPPY HOUR BY THE POOL AND SPA along with the BIG FLATSCREEN T.V. in the SPACIOUS "DINING ROOM" common area. BREAKFAST IS SERVED DAILY AND IS EXCELLENT! INCREDIBLE STAFF THROUGHOUT!! FREE WIFI (no matter how many devices)! BATHTUB FOR KIDS WAS A PLUS! GOING BACK SOON!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly but the hotel is in need of maintenance. It was fine for one night and only 2 blocks from downtown and a block from the pier. I would not stay here again, though. Tried to buy a water and the vending machine ate my dollar and nothing worked. Snack machine out of order. I heard from another hotel guest that he tried the vending machine on a different floor and that didn't work either. He also said the ice machine was broken. Breakfast had more options than I expected but the taste of the hot food was poor. Eggs were gross, bacon was especially gross. The hash browns were ok. I was pleasantly surprised at the waffle station- that was actually pretty good. I didn't feel the need to put a do no disturb sign on the door because I was only staying one night and was planning to check out right after breakfast but that didn't stop the maid from trying to open the door (without knocking) at 8:30am! When the dead bolt stopped them they walked away for 5 minutes then came back and knocked. Seriously?!
Also, I asked for the side of the building facing away from the train tracks, as recommended by other users, and still woke up from the train's horn in the morning. The view was pretty, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train tracks, put up your "do not disturb sign" no matter wha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
VenturaCountryInn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to read your constructive comments so we can continually improve our hotel. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
essex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was disappointed with this hotel after reading the reviews.
I had a room overlooking the motorway which is not really a problem.
The room itself was dark and a bit dingy, but just acceptable.
The breakfast was very good and I must say the breakfast staff worked very hard.
I was however disappointed with the drinks happy hour, my wife and I had one drink and when we tried to get another at 6.59 we were barked at NO I AM CLOSED by the lady serving but continued to talk to local people, she continued talking for over 10 minutes and we were unable to get another drink. Bar closes at 7pm. Her customer services skills are poor.
I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
VenturaCountryInn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and get the best service. We hope for another opportunity in the near future to meet your hotel needs.
Ventura
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

While Easytobook.com was an absolute disaster - I clicked on the wrong date, couldn't get through on the phone - busy busy busy. DO NOT USE THEM. I had to pay for the room when I arrived.

My room was clean with lots of space and soft pillows. However, it did not have a fresh smell. Though it was a non smoking room, it seem to have a smoke residue. They had a full breakfast, and it is very centrally located. Though it was by the train tracks and freeway, I didn't notice much noise, though admittedly, I can tune things out. It was one of the lowest prices I could find and it was worth it.

Only problem is that I had to pay twice because of my error and ABSOLUTELY ZERO service from Easytobook.com

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Otter Rock, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was surprised how.much Iliked this place. It definitely seems dated and is not a luxury hotel but it was really quiet (considering the location). The people were friendly..the breakfast was great..the location to restaurants and downtown Ventura was close. They also had a "happy hour". Free beer and wine and snacks...This for $80...senior discount. The bed and pillows were great. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura? Share your experiences!