“Wanted a comfortable room to stay after a party in Oak View” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Ventura
pasadena, ca
“Wanted a comfortable room to stay after a party in Oak View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you're looking for a spacious, clean room, on budget, this is it. The furniture an bedding were relatively new, and nice looking. A big flat screen TV hung on the wall. The bathroom was lower end (fiberglass tub and Corian countertops), but clean. Carpet was newer. The complementary breakfast was better than some I've had at other hotels and offered biscuits, gravy, sausage links, bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, oatmeal, assorted breads, juices, coffee, dry cereal, and fresh fruit. My room was quiet, on the railroad side of the hotel, and I only heard the train go by once while I was still awake. (when I checked in, the office clerk asked me if I wanted the "quiet" side of the hotel, and I did. I think the other side might be noisier because it faces the freeway.)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The outside isn't super nice, but the inside is great! The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable! Very spacious! The breakfast was awesome. Getting a spread like that would make the stay worth it. It's near downtown and relatively in walking distance from the pier. We had one train go by but it really wasn't that loud at all. The rooms don't really get good views, but for the price and all you get it is a great deal.

• Stayed May 2013
MORENO VALLEY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Spacious king suite with all the amenities: Micro, mini fridge, big flat screen with lots of TV stations, some HD. Ocean view. Others complained about train bridge between room and view, but I actually liked that. Appreciated the very early checkin. Beware: they charge extra if you want to connect an apple tv or other device, first time I've run into this in 7 years of traveling almost full time! And it isn't worth it, the wifi here is embarrassingly slow, it won't stream video, you can't even pull up photos on Flicker.

I could not get either computer in the lobby to work. Parking can be an issue, especially if you are oversized and can't fit into garage. Well located within walking distance of downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Alpine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Reviews were mixed on this property, so wasn't sure what to expect. Older property, but well maintained. The area is littered with lovely old homes from the 1900's. Warm inviting lobby with large fireplace and chairs. Coffee and tea available at all times in the lobby and in the spacious hospitality room. Full breakfast bar in a.m. Fruit and wine in the p.m. Rooms were spacious with large TV, microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. Vanities were spacious and actually had room to unpack my cosmetic bad. Beds were comfortable and room was clean. We had to sign a waiver that we would be charged $250 if we smoked in the room. Very quiet at night. Will definitely stay there again. Close to Fairgrounds, pier and downtown.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Bruno, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Beautiful drive along the West Coast, I plan to sleep in Ventura, 30 minutes from Santa Barbara ......

For once I do not look on Tripadvisor prior my booking ..... big mistake !
I used Club Carlson points received in compensation for a stay at Radisson hotel in Charleston, SC last August, another hotel Calson Club who was also well ... tired, worn rope. So, I booked online a Country Inns & Suites by Carlson in Ventura using my famous points received in a previous bad experience. Hey dont laugh, everyone deserve a second chance !

The entrance of the hotel can be mislead with highway ramp acces.... I should of take the highway from what I saw.... A police patrol car is in the parking lot, the officer walking with firm step towards a room on the first floor. The carpet outside front door is rather tired and dirty. There is however the inscription New Hotel on it. Hotel owner has a wick sense of humor.

The manager offered me Ocean View free..... fishy, ​​very fishy ... in fact between the hotel and the sea just below my window is a bridge and a highway overpass... noise ... you say? What do you say?? I cant hear ya !

And the smell in the room ... I still can not describe it except I can confirm that it doesn't smell good, but not all. The room is dark, dirty carpet as the passages too. All the buttons of the elevators are broken. The manager was kind enough to accept my request for changing my room a ''parking street view'' will be enough. Lot more quiet, just an occassional car alarm from time to time. I change room but the stinky smell is still there. Is it me ? nooooo I can confirm, showered and perfume this morning.
Even with the window wide open, the smell is persistent .... I think I am going to sleep with an open window, the sounds of car alarm, ambulance and Police sirenes will rock my sleep.

The only positive event, because there is always one, is the Cantina of Mr Escobar on the corner of the hotel, delicious take-out Mexican food. It should changed ... the smell of my room for few minutes.

A conclusion, because there is always one too, NO MORE CARSON CLUB ... Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me !

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
VenturaCountryInn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would like to apologize for the concerns that you listed and for how you feel regarding Club Carlson. If you would like to discuss the situation further please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Thank you.
Larkspur, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The property is older but well kept up. Rooms are good size, clean, comfortable. Open lobby with adjacent breakfast/happy hour area. Free, generous happy hour, and great free breakfast. Would definitely stay there again.

Joe
March 10-11, 2013

Room Tip: Hotel is close to 101 freeway. I asked for room on opposite side to assure quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo