“A trip back in time.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Ventura
Frisco, Colorado
“A trip back in time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had the handicap room and it was spacious, quiet, and comfortable. The bathroom was one big shower and completely tiled on all surfaces. The king-sized bed was clean and comfortable. The furnishings were coordinated if a bit retro. The property is really something out of the 60s with carports for each unit and a central court with small islands. One of the problems with that was the lack of electrical outlets due to old design. It was far from luxurious so, if your self-image suffers when you stay in such a place, then stay away. We had no problems with it although the price was just a tad high.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I get that people have different standards for rooms, but in my opinion, lots of people just like to complain. My husband and I stayed here in room 1 with three of our friends in room 2. We have no real complaints. I would suggest they make the bedside plugs a little more accessible for phone charging, but I find this is an issue at most motels.

From start to finish.....
When I originally called to price things out in the area, the young man who answered was friendly and helpful, not mention patient. I originally booked 3 rooms at $80 a night for 2-4 nights, with people checking in at various times over the weekend. No issues. I eventually had to cancel one room because my group changed plans. Courteous service and no issues.

We were stuck in traffic on the way there so we called to assure them we'd be there but closer to 930-10pm. No issues. We checked in with the friendly young guy who originally booked us. Yes, parking is a little weird. But we never had an issue finding a spot in 5 days of coming and going. Yes some carports had furniture or supplies in them. But our friend was told she could park in any one that was empty. So it didnt seen to be a problem.

We were given a REAL KEY not a card :) Door had a deadbolt and a knob lock , the later of which locked automatically upon closing.

The room looked, smelled, and was clean. Zero issues with cleanliness. Fridge, shower, bathroom, bedding were all above standard. No smoke smell in rooms 1 or 2. We found nothing gross or questionable. Considering this place is very near the beach, it was still not "moist" or "sticky" like some places are. AC was excellent. 3 windows were in great working order. The bathroom window was good since there wasn't an exhaust fan. The towels were clean, no stains or smells. Bedding was excellent (we always check for bugs; we're from Vegas). No weird stains or smells. Carpet was as clean as one can expect, no signs of visible dirt or debris. Lota of lights! And great natural light too.

Shower was phenomenal. Give it a minute or two to get hot, but you won't be disappointed. Very enjoyable shower, tho a liiiitle dark because of the heavy curtain. Not that difficult to see tho.

Mattresses were comfortable and we are spoiled with memory foam at home. Pillows were foam and "gel foam" so a little dense, but we liked them.

In room two the bed was a little close to the door and sometimes rubbed against it. But the girls who stayed there said it wasn't a problem.

The only "complaint" I guess I have is, the remote worked 80% of the time for volume. We probably should have asked for new batteries or another remote but it wasn't a huge deal. The TV control on the back worked fine. Lots of channels (news, Spanish, sports, kids, movies etc)

Housekeeping was all right. We could have used new towels the last day before checkout, but it wasn't a problem. If we had asked I'm sure we would have gotten them. But we didn't *shrug* Beds were always made. Trash was taken out. Personal items weren't moved. We were there for a convention so we had costumes and props and those were never bothered. Laptop wasn't touched.

Locally there is a good Jack in the Box right next door, and the worst Carl's Jr. across the street. Denny's, In-and-Out, and Starbucks are all 3-5 minutes away on Harbor. 24-hour Vons is nearby.

Check out was 11am and everything was great from start to finish. No one shady hanging out. No fights we could hear. No police cars at 2am.

I will absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank kittyprydex
All Over The Silver State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We made our fifth trip to the Rex recently. We made a reservation and asked for our favorite room. We arrived and found that our room had been occupied for the last 2 weeks, and the resident was still there. The young lady at the front desk apologized profusely and upgraded us to a larger room with a kitchen (at no extra cost)! All the pluses of previous trips were still in effect. The new management was just as kind and helpful as Mr. & Mrs. Paul, who ran the place for years (we wish them the best in their retirement). The furniture and TVs have been upgraded. There seems to be a real effort to improve an already good place to stay. The word seems to be out; the Rex has been booked up the last few times we've stayed, so make reservations in advance, I seriously doubt you can show up on a weekend and get a room. but if you're in Ventura for an unplanned stop, try anyway!

Room Tip: Don't want to tip you off! We may be coming!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! I have no idea why this motel cost as much as it did. I picked it hoping it would be a step up from Motel 6, but it was absolutely disgusting. There was food left over from the previous occupant in the refrigerator, the microwave was covered in spattered food and there were granola bar wrappers next to the bed. If those things weren't cleaned, I shudder to think what else wasn't cleaned either. Save your money and stay someplace cheaper, because those places will likely be the same if not cleaner!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Palm Desert, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

First thing I want to do is thank my wife for not killing me for booking a room here. I don't know what happened since the last folks reviewed this place, but I guarantee if you were driving by and saw it, you would keep going. We drove up and there was furniture in the parking stalls, a mobile home at the end of the lot, and really crappy looking cars parked around. It also had full time residents living in some of the rooms. Never a good sign. The place needs a bath. I spoke to a nice lady in the office who said they were the new owners and were renovating the place. My advice is to look elsewhere until you see up to date pictures showing the "new" Rex.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another motel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SanDiego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My friends almost killed me (I made the reservations) when we arrived. From the outside this place seems like Bates Motel..yes, the place is a million years old.! BUT, our stay was great! Many other harbor area hotels are noisy and parking is a hassle. Not here, the interiors are clean, recently upgraded, and great for a night on your way somewhere else!
WiFi works well, staff was really sweet, helpful. And quiet, ...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My friends and I had such a great time here. The room was clean, smelled nice, spacious and the Room came standard with mini-fridge and microwave. Employee I encountered was helpful and nice. I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here if they're on a budget because the location could not be more ideal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends