“Fire Alarm in Middle of Night” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Sacramento, California
“Fire Alarm in Middle of Night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We booked 2 rooms here for one night while visiting family. The beds were very small - full size only. The toilet ran all night. The hotel pool & spa were "not available" for the weekend. The $13 per car charge for parking was ridiculous - we had just come from Disneyland where they only charged $9 per day for parking and that is in crowded LA. One of the worst things about this visit was that the fire alarm went off at 4:15 AM. We were on the fourth floor and it was evidently a hotel wide alarm (according to other patrons I talked to who stayed on other floors). It went off for about 15 seconds and then nothing. By then of course we were up and trying to get it together to evacuate. It was not clear when it stopped if everything was ok or not. There was absolutely no communication from the hotel. No PA system, no staff going to various floors to assure folks it was ok, no automated call -NOTHING. We finally were able to get an answer from the front desk to confirm that it was a "false alarm" When I asked upon checkout if we would receive any discount for this interrupted sleep, I was offered a free coffee. That was it. Another very disturbing thing to me was that we accidently left an item in one of our rooms. It was a very large 5 liter size Tupperware cannister - with a special "I Love You" design on it - a very recent gift from my Granddaughter. I had left it on the table in the room and in our post-fire-alarm-sleep-disturbed haste to depart the hotel, we overlooked it. I called to report it missing after returning home and was told they'd have housekeeping call me. I had to call again 2 days later and they have insisted it was "not found" That disturbs me to think their staff would lift my item. It's unfortunate since this is a location we return to in order to visit family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

BEfore our stay, I received an e-mail asking if we had any special requests. I mentioned that we were kayaking early the next morning and had to store sandwiches overnight. The hotel recommended places to buy sandwiches AND had a frig placed in our room. They also put the extra towels we requested in the room. I was impressed. The room was large and the beds comfortable. Very nice and would recommend. Although the hotel is NOT on the ocean, it is an easy 4 block walk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Let's start by saying this is a Marriott, so it is basic, well kept, and functional, and not a boutique, high-end hotel experience. That said, the staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful, earning it an above-average rating. The rooms are clean, the bed very comfortable, and the breakfast food is above average. We even found the art to be interesting and better than your average hotel art, with wall galleries of local photographers throughout the hotel. The beach is super-close, and again, the staff here are truly exceptional.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Californa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at this very beautiful hotel this past weekend, and it was really beautiful with a couple of waterfalls in the courtyard, and the overall scenery was so wonderful and serene.

Every staff member that we encountered was more than polite and helpful and very friendly, we had breakfast in the restaurant and it was above and beyond what we expected. We had the breakfast buffet which couldn't have been better. Rooms are spacious and comfortable and lovely besides.

We will stay there again and check out the beach (close by) next time.

Room Tip: The room we had was perfect. It was our first time there so had nothing to compare it to, I am sure...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Canyon Country, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

From the moment you enter you know you are in a upper notch hotel. The lobby is well laid out and very ornate. Staff were very friendly and the service what you would expect from a marriott Beach was not right out the backdoor as I was led to believe but only a couple of blocks down. The courtyard was well laid out and also had a swimming pool in the yard. We ate breakfast at the hotel but ventured out for lunch and dinner. Joes Crab Shack is right down the road as well as Ericksons ( formerly Just Fish). A good experience

Room Tip: I like overlooking courtyard
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We stay at a lot if Marriotts. This one is not their best.. We are staying on points, so I kind of consider our night free. I guess you get what you pay for. Let me start by saying the service is impeccable. From the valet to the front desk to the restaurant personnel...all was top notch. The lobby is gorgeous. They definitely spent a ton of money on that. Unfortunately, that is where it stopped. We could hear EVERY whisper from: the hall, the room next door, the parking lot below and thumping from upstairs. I expect this from Motel 6, but not from a Marriott. This, I thought was a non-smoking hotel. I guess that doesn't apply to our "adjoining" room. My eyes are burning. We definitely will not stay here again. I can't complain too much, it was kind of free.

• Stayed September 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was a clean, well cared for hotel. Only had to walk about 2 blocks to the magnificent beach. The fresh fruit water daily was a treat, the staff very friendly, we even got yummy fresh cookies on Thursday night.
Complaints: $13.00 daily charge to park, charge for wireless in rooms, coffee maker only made 1 cup at a time, no little breakfast offered without extra expense. Had to purchase coffee at the bar, which was tasty, but when I stay at a nice hotel I kind of expect free coffee. Small alcoholic beverage was quite spendy also.
The stated outside fireplace was not on, so there was no enjoying sitting outside in the evening, much too cold without heaters. The pictured outside area on the website was not available to us, it is for private gatherings.

We would stay here again, just with the knowledge of the extra fees.

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor by the pool, had no problem with noise and was a great location. I woul...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ventura Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!