“Very comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
Santa Clarita, California
“Very comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed for a quick overnight while visiting Ventura. Very clean, pretty room with basic amenities. Disappointed that there was no in room refrigerator or microwave. Bed was super comfortable with very nice linens and extra plush pillows. Had a small balcony with sliding glass door, good for getting a little fresh air. Very quiet property, geared primarily for the business traveler so not many families with kids around. A bit on the pricey side for any extras such as breakfast or in room movies, but overall a good value for an upscale beach hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony. Nice for taking in the ocean air and for cross ventilation.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We wanted to go to the Ventura County Fair but with 3 kids three and under, we wanted to stay the night. So we booked a room at the Ventura Beach Marriott for its proximity to the fair and the beach. The fair is a short car or shuttle ride and the beach is 2 blocks away. And even with 3 kids and their "stuff", it was a simple trek.

I am writing this review for one purpose. To ensure people understand the value of customer service. We booked a regular room with 2 double beds. We knew it would be tight but we've been in this situation before and we were determined to make the best of it. I approached the front desk and Larry greeted me with a smile. I was happy because I was on vacation and Larry was all smiles even though he was working. He asked me all of the normal questions and when I mentioned I had 3 little ones with me, he began to search through the room inventory. So without asking if I wanted to pay to upgrade, he asked me if I minded waiting a couple more hours to check-in because he found a room that would be more comfortable. Unfortunately, the room hadn't been cleaned. Although, the room we booked was available, I decided to wait for the bigger room.

All I could say was WOW! It was a one bedroom suite with a king bed in the bedroom and a queen pullout sofa in the main room. The room was twice as big as the one we booked AND had a bit of an ocean view. But a BEAUTIFUL sunset!

My wife looked at me and said I don't know how you did it, but this is AWESOME! Those words and the look on my wife's face as my children ran into the room was PRICELESS! And all I could think was THANK YOU LARRY! On a busy Thursday with the county fair AND the Dallas Cowboys training camp in town, Larry found a family a room that absolutely changed the trip. Maybe he knew it would be vacant for the night. Or maybe he wanted to make a trip to the beach the best it could possibly be by giving a little extra effort. It was Christmas in August!

CUSTOMER SERVICE. Often lost these days amid the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Sometimes, all it takes is to go one step beyond the minimum and you can absolutely make someone's day! And this family wants to send a HUGE thank you and BIG HUGS from the kids!
LARRY YOU ROCK and the HERRON FAMILY THANKS YOU!!! We had the best time!

After that, nothing could bother us. The hotel was nice. The bar and restaurant was satisfactory. The room was huge and everything we needed was there. The staff was always willing to stop and give directions. Definite A+

If you want to be close to the beach, again not beachfront but 2 easy walking blocks, then the Marriott is your hotel. There's an In-n-Out, Subway, McDonald's, and a Denny's all within walking distance. The pier is a short half mile drive away with good seafood and excellent views.

This hotel is great for families and couples alike.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. But when you go, make sure you check-in with LARRY!

Many Many thanks to Larry and the Marriott Family to helping us have the best time of our lives!

We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room facing the beach. Although not full ocean views, you get a great sunset!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our 20 year anniversary and were not disappointed. A couple blocks to the beach, quiet, and free shuttle to the fair just around the corner from the hotel. This is by far my favorite place to stay in the Ventura area. I have stayed here numerous times.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Leandro, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and I frequently visit Ventura California with plans to have a great time with friends and family and attend to business matters; unfortunately this time it was the complete opposite of a "great time". On the evening of July 7th, 2012 my wife and I regrettably decided to have a drink at the restaurant/lounge with three of our close friends. Little did we know we were going to be descriminated against by the server and the hotel staff (including management) that evening.

The moment the server first came to our table she greeted us with a sour attitude that seemed as though she was unhappy to be serving us. After bringing the first round of drinks, the server decided that I was no longer able to order any drinks for myself, however she continued to bring our party the second round of drinks (which we had previously ordered). The server then came over to our table and escalated this matter in a manner that was extremely unprofessional. She let me know that I was going over her head by drinking the cocktail - a cocktail she had delivered to me (with the rest of our parties drinks). Her approach was confrontational enough to make everyone at the table uncomfortable. One of our guests, one of the two guests who were not drinking alcoholic beverages at all, felt that the server was exaggerating and there was no need to create a scene. I demanded to speak with the manager and the server said she was the evening manager; I then went to the hotel front desk and demanded to speak with the hotel manager because of the unfair treatment I was receiving by the server in the restaurant. The man at the front desk threatened he'd call the police if I did not calm down. I admit I did raise my voice, however to threaten me with calling the police was again a tactic that was unnecessary. I have stayed at plenty of Marriott's in my lifetime and I can honestly say that for the most part they all have prided themselves in their excellent customer service, however that is not the case with this particular Marriot.

The next morning I went to the front desk and spoke with Shannon (manager) and expressed my frustration and my disappointment in the way his staff handled the incident the previous evening. All this man could say was "If you are looking for a discount for your complaints, you are not getting one." The managers statement highlights the values of this establishment and infers that he could not accept a valid complaint from a Latino man without associating that with requesting a discount - this is clearly prejudice, discriminatory and unacceptable from a business as notable as the Marriot.

My intent in writing this review is to make this unacceptable behavior known. I am respectable member of society, but that evening the Marriot staff went above and beyond to make my stay uncomfortable, embarrassing, and will ensure I never return to this establishment. This behavior was a great deviation from the Marriot's mission statement: "putting people first, pursuing excellence, embracing change, acting with integrity and serving our world."

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was one of our stops on a roadtrip through the West Coast. We arrived late in the evening and the staff was very welcoming and had everything that we requested in our reservation (A rollaway, extra towels and pillows) set-up and ready to go which was great and different from the Courtyards we stayed at on other nights of our trip. The front desk explained where everything was and how to get to area attractions. The room was big and roomy and very accomodating. The only downside was that the WiFi was not included in the room, only in the lobby which was also different from the Courtyards and unexpected.

The beach access was a few steps away around the corner. The valet was nice so we didn't have to lug our suitcases. The boys took a dip in the spa to unwind and said it was refreshing and clean and had towels available. We decided to purchase the breakfast buffet downstairs since we were heading out to our next stop. The price included coffee, juice an omelet station and waffles made to order. There was also delicious fresh fruit, sausage, bacon and many other items to choose from. It was all very good and the service staff were all very friendly and attentive. Great value for location!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool. If there were more people in the pool, it might be noisy since y...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Belton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here one night for business. Was excited by the name thinking the beach would be at least visible from the hotel - it isn't. The hotel was a basic Marriott property that could probably stand some updating soon. The rooms were good and the bed comfortable but nothing special. It was a clean place to lay my head. The beach is within a short drive and although the temperature was close to 100 degrees inland, it was cool at this property (in the 70's) which was a nice change. Ate dinner at the restaurant in the hotel and it was average. If you need a good basic place to stay and aren't expecting a lot of luxury or bells and whistles then this is a good option.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Very nice hotel close to the beach and restaurants. Rooms were nice and consistent/standard of many Marriots. We were upgraded to the concierge level for free as a member of their points program. We had access to a lounge where they had fancy afternoon appetizers (can't spell the fancy word!) and drinks including alcohol. Hotel had a nice pool and restaurant but didn't use either one. Beds were comfortable, room and bath was clean. Overall a good value, nice location, and very relaxing stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Ventura Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!