“Ruse & Unfriendly Door Men” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut
City of Angels
“Ruse & Unfriendly Door Men”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Friday night, we were trying to go in just for a drink...

There were two "Bouncers" at the door. Not only were they not friendly, they were down-right rude and inhospitable. In fact they refused to even acknowledge us.... They were too busy with their personal conversation about "going back to college & getting a degree".

When we looked inside, the downstairs was empty, the bartender was at an empty bar...

The music coming from upstairs was so loud, we could hear it down the street.

For such a supposedly "High Class" place, I wouldn't bother.

Visited May 2013

Ventura, CA
“A Great Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went as a family to celebrate our eldest son's 24th birthday. Our salads, calamari, and crab cakes were delicious, as were the rib eye, New York, and veal. A lovely bottle of wine, very attentive staff, excellent live music, and time with my son at the bar afterwards made for a very enjoyable evening. The building, which I have been familiar with since it was Natalie's Fine Threads, makes for a fabulous environment.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ventura, California
“Want a Burger? Go to a Burger Joint....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This last weekend was my 28th wedding anniversary. My wife said she wanted to go to the Watermark in Ventura. This is one of the secrets to a long and happy marriage - when your wife says lets go "here" , we go. Of course, prior to making the reservation I checked trip advisor. I was a little surprised at some of the mixed reviews - Some complained about it being too expensive, haughty, poor service and food etc. Nothing could be further from the truth! We had a private table (#23), an attentive waiter, and a great meal . All the while enjoying the amazing setting, with a jazz combo to provide the sound track. There are very few settings in Ventura County, or LA County for that matter, that rival the structure & decor of this establishment. The price was way reasonable for a full meal with a decent bottle of wine.
Want a Burger? Go to a burger joint....... Want a memorable dining experience, try Watermark.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
City of Angels
“Over-rated Over-priced Major Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is suppose to be a very Posh "Upscale" restaurant & bar. I had been arguing w/ my friend to go here for several months, so for Valentine's we went.

Fist let me tell you the good thing: The two young women who served us, were lovely: Rachel & Cassidy, very nice & delightful and I tipped them according to their service, which was also wonderful.

On Sunday: there is no food service in the dining room after 2:00 pm. Heck, we couldn't even find the bartender... so we went upstairs to the Water Bar....

I have to say this is just another bar, only larger & more comfortable w/ a great view. However beautiful it may be at night, the bright blue floor, just does not cut it during the day!

As for the drinks, even at "Happy Hour", they do their best to talk you out of the well drinks by giving you choices of better quality alcohol. I asked for the HH Margarita and I was given a choice of tequila... They charged me $6.00 more for the choice, but I was not informed of that extra charge until I saw the bill & figured it out on my own!

Then there is the HH food, so it is $1.00 less than at other times, BFD..... It is AWFUL: we had a Marguerite pizza which was cold, limp, bland... the basil, I don't know, was shredded and dried out? The 3 (street sized) carnitas tacos, were in a sweet sauce and cost $3.00 each!

Also on Sunday, beware... there is NO Dress code, so that downscales the clientele as well as the ambiance.

I will not be returning.

Visited February 2013
“Excellent food. Intimate and cozy setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

A really great place for a "date night" dinner. Have a drink in the lounge at the top which has an outdoor patio looking out at the mountains above Ventura.

Visited October 2012