“Interesting Place, Decent Value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bella Maggiore Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ventura
Bella Maggiore Inn
Save Saved
You added Bella Maggiore Inn to your Saves list
67 South California Street, Ventura, CA 93001   |
Ranked #5 of 20 hotels in Ventura
Someplace
“Interesting Place, Decent Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

I'm a Ventura native, born there in 1962. I wanted something quaint and in a good location, which I found in this hotel. Going back many years, my dad was a city police officer and he told me that the hotel used to be sort of halfway house and lots of bad things happened there. There is also local folklore about hauntings but I have not seen such things in several stays.

The place is in a great location and some of the rooms are quite nice and unique, but they are all in the same overall condition, which is sort of a low budget rennovation. I think the room furnishings are getting a little bit old on top of that so beware it's not a sparkly new sort of place.

There are a few nice touches, the cafe and wine hour and the fromd desk staff has always been good to me. I like to go on bar hops around lower main and stagger in after hours, they give you a front door key for that, or at least I had my wife come down the lobby and open the front door for me. She hated that.

You can walk a short distance down California street to the plaza by the old Holiday Inn and the beach by the pier. It's still nice and still a little bit dodgy at night.

You can also easily drive down to the avenue and get some taco shop mexican food, which I've come to learn is actually very good but not for tourists from Ohio. The old "Sportsman" restaurant still lingers on, my grandfather loved that place and the bar has a really cool etched glass mirror mural with topless cowgirls on it, heh, not something you see at all anymore. Campy little bar but one of my favorites in town.

It's a nice quaint place, a little scuzzy and getting worse on the scuzzy scale. My advice is to avoid the rooms off California street due to the street noise.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

We have stayed at Bella Maggiore before. In the past few years since our visit, we discovered that the good things about this little European boutique-style Inn are mostly still there (good value, essential needs met with the room, incredible breakfast included, convenient location, friendly staff, evening wine/hors d-ouvres, etc.) do still exist. What was disconcerting to us was that our room was not clean. Lifting the toilet seat and finding a long hair stuck to the seat, seeing hairs around the bathroom floor, led us to believe that Maria (who left an envelope hoping we would be so pleased with her cleaning that we would leave a tip) had a great need for more training on how to clean a room so that each guest feels comfortable. Turning down the bedspread, we found the top sheet kind of haphazardly turned down over the blanket. After seeing the bathroom, I thought ....hmmmm, I wonder if these are even clean sheets. I mentioned this at check-out the next day, and the desk person said she would have the head of house-keeping call me. We stayed on a Sunday night. Anyway, it is now Thursday night and I have not heard from her. It's a nice Inn for the most part, but CLEAN is high on the list of any traveler.
Some travelers found it to be noisy on week-ends. Since we were there on a Sunday night, it was quiet.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Ventura County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I was hoping to rent this place for my wedding. My mother and I stopped by beforehand, and we are glad we did. It really is pretty rundown. We had a tour of about 8 rooms. Some smelled smoky, some moldy, and some just dusty. The decor hasn't been updated in many, many years; it is a mix of 60s, 90s, and the vintage look they are going for. A lot of the furniture was cheap, basic Target furniture. Also, the day we looked at the weather was warm, not hot, but the rooms were very hot, they just seemed to suck up the heat and had no ventilation and no AC.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I wanted a California vacation, but an affordable one. I wanted something more personal than a hotel that included a hearty breakfast. Bella Maggiore fit the bill. I originally contact the firm on December 14 while I was planning my trip. The woman I spoke with, I believe her name was Lindsey, quoted me $62 per night between 1/14 and 1/17 (3 nights) with a AAA discount, a bargain in a very expensive market. I arrived at the hotel at night following a long day in L.A. It's located immediately off the Ventura highway, making finding it convenient. Parking was located behind the B&B and I didn't have trouble finding a spot for the duration of the stay. This B&B is very European in design both in and out; the lobby tastefully decorated and the courtyard, where breakfast is served, was beautiful. The room itself was simply styled, with wooden shutters, ceiling fan, and small TV which I didn't use. The bathroom was clean. The shower was a bit of a disappointment; it was dark, thanks in large part to this solid plastic, heavy, hospital- like curtain, and there was a scary-looking soap dispenser mounted on the wall that reminds one of what they see in a McDonald's restroom. It also seemed redundant because they already provided me with soaps and shampoos custom-made for the B&B which were excellent, but definitely not made for the shower as there was nowhere to place them. I did, however, appreciate the strength of the water, which was welcome after a long day. The "Breakfast" in this B&B was the winner. I dined in a beautiful courtyard, with a gentle breeze and fountain - very relaxing way to start the day. The carmelized apple french toast was to die for, and if I wasn't watching calories, would've had it every morning. I found the staff very friendly, and given the value, will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Ventura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed in this cozy Inn with 28 rooms. Its has an european ambience and our room had a balcony that overlooked the courtyard. We found the staff to be very helpful and enjoyed the fabulous location where you can walk to all the shops and to dinner. The breakfast was wonderful (included in price of B&B), and it was a full menu breakfast. The breakfast was served in the courtyard which is really charmng with ivy covering the brick walls. The inn is so centrally located, and we loved that we could walk everywhere. We chose a room that overlooked the courtyard so we didn't have to worry about noise. We got exactly what we wanted: quiet and peaceful. Our room was squeaky clean, a little bit dated, but would definitely stay there again. We totally enjoyed sitting out on our balcony and drinking a glass of wine!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

We were visiting for a cousin's engagement party and my parents, my and husband and I, and all of the other guests of the party booked rooms at the hotel for Fri and Sat night. We were given rooms that overlooked the street, and unfortunately were directly across from several bars. They all had some sort of live music going on from about 10pm-2am. Then there was another hour of the loud drunk people cruising the streets. Even with the windows closed (which made the room insanely hot, as there's no air conditioning) there was absolutely no way anyone could sleep. My husband and I are not light sleepers and we're in our early 30's so it's not as though this is something that was just a personal problem for us. The rest of my family had the same experience.

I had looked at some of the reviews before we went and the complaints seemed to center around some issues with the staff, the broken tv's (which is certainly true), and the noisiness of the rooms above the courtyard. Perhaps I just didn't read enough reviews, because surely we're not the only guests to have experienced this. I asked the front desk if we could switch rooms for our 2nd night and they said no, and that it is always that loud on the weekend.

Despite the wonderful free breakfast and close proximity to the ocean, I would never come to this place again. Even though we paid for the 2 nights, we actually decided to leave after my cousin's engagement party Sat night rather than stay in the room again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles. CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Bella Maggiore B & Slow B last weekend. Ventura County is right next to Los Angeles, but still a long distance away. Noisy room, we woke up to hotel staff starting breakfast at 6:00 a.m. Management skills were lacking, and I'm still not sure why the hotel kept passing around lists of all the guests names. Great location where were able to walk to some very nice restaurants. Cute restaurant and certainly close to our room.

Been to Bella Maggiore Inn? Share your experiences!