“Stayed here several times in past 5 years” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bella Maggiore Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ventura
Bella Maggiore Inn
You added Bella Maggiore Inn to your Saves list
67 South California Street, Ventura, CA 93001   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Ventura
New Hampshire
“Stayed here several times in past 5 years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

This visit...no breakfast as stated.....from Mon to Fri ....first told the chef was ill then they gave up and just served continental until Fri when lo and behold B&B was good again!!
I have written the mgmt over the years asking that they consider giving the place a thorough cleaning....never heard back
Upside of this place is the terrific location
Staff is pleasant but they are not the boss.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

There was one staff member who was extremely RUDE. Unfortunately, I didn't catch her name (since she didn't introduce herself to us). She was an older woman with long blonde hair. And everytime my bf or I would walk past her at the front desk, we'd greet her. And every single time she'd turn away and completely ignore us. We made eye contact, she saw us. We walked right past her, she heard us. And yet she kept that poker face on the entire time and just wouldn't even acknowledge us. I wanted to think that maybe she was just a grouch or that maybe she was having a bad week. I didn't want to take it personal so after about the 4th attempt we decided to just ignore her. So that night as we're getting back into the hotel, we ran into another couple who was also staying there. They walked in ahead of us and as they walked past her she wished them a goodnight with a huge smile on her face. And as we walked in behind them her smile quickly faded. She looked away and again completely ignored us. How could anyone not take that personal? Maybe my boyfriend and I are the wrong color? That's really the only difference between us and the other guests. I've never been treated that way or made to feel that way.

Let me just say that the rest of the staff was friendly and helpful.Especially Cindy.
They're breakfast was delicious.
The hotel itself is adorable and cozy. The location is great.

But I will NEVER go back to a place where I am treated in a way that I have only read about in history books.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Bella Maggiore several times. This isn't a 5-star hotel, and it's a little frayed around the edges. BUT: It's location downtown places it within a short walk to all the best restaurants and nightspots. The rooms are clean and the breakfast served in Nona's restaurant in the lovely courtyard make this hotel a really good value, which is why we keep going back!

Room Tip: For a few dollars more, upgrade to a room with a spa and fireplace.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We were in Ventura to visit Channel Islands National Park. Being tired of chain hotels, we were looking for a unique place to stay and found it in Bella Maggiore Inn. The location is great, right in the middle of old downtown with shops and restaurants galore. I was really surprised by the negative reviews of the staff. We thought they were wonderful and, in fact, we had great conversations and enjoyed them very much. I had the feeling that they would do anything to make us happy. We stayed in a room on the third floor in the front of the hotel. There is no elevator but the staff takes your luggage up and down. There was a lot of activity on the street below but no noise to speak of. We were there on the weekend and it was fun watching the activity. The room was a suite with a working gas fireplace and a TV in the living room and the bedroom. Everything was clean and very nice.
We had the included breakfast at the hotel cafe which was a full, off the menu, delicious breakfast. We also ate dinners at two nearby restaurants. "Sportsman's" which is next door to the hotel and "Chicago's" about two blocks away. Both were excellent.
I hope we have an occasion to return for another stay at Bella Maggiore.

Room Tip: If you are unable to climb stairs ask for a room on the first floor as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I visit Ventura regularly but I had never stayed at Bella Maggiore before. It was a pleasant surprise. It should be said right up front that this is not a brand new, state of the art hotel like the Wynn in Las Vegas. Just the opposite. This is an older property and it shows it age but it also reflects the atmosphere of a bygone era that we rarely see any more when travel was more personal and inns tried to make their guests feel at home.

The furnishings are old but comfortable and you can feel the age of the place in the floorboards, stairs and even the traditional metal keys for the rooms. That's not a bad. To the contrary, it was a refreshing change of pace. The Bella Maggiore does offer amenities that you expect to find at most "new" places like wireless internet (slow but OK), ample parking, and even a terrific breakfast but some travelers might notice the lack of an iron or a hair dryer in the room. I didn't need them, so it was not a problem for me and they might be available by asking the front desk.

The bottom line is that this place was a fun place to stay. It is not perfect, so if you're that kind of person, this is not the place for you. On the other hand, it has a lot to offer and is a terrific value.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, request a room that faces the courtyard. It will be quieter than the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have been staying here for 18 years both on business trips and for pleasure. It's always felt like home - with friendly staff and affordable, comfortable accommodations. Until our past 2 stays this year when the hotel staff were simply rude to us. This past summer we were staying on business and during our breakfast the staff interrupted us to let us know that we would have to pay an extra fee for having 2 people in one room. This is all well and good that the rules have changed, but it could have been taken care of after our breakfast. But NO she was insistent that she interrupt our meal and take care of complicated rate changes before we continued eating. This is not the Bella that I have been staying at all these years! Turns out that they changed their policy in 2013 since our last stay a few months before - to add an additional fee for rooms with 2 occupants. Okay - but let us know in a much nicer way at a more convenient time - like when we checked in or better yet when we booked the reservation. Also, the breakfast menu and chef have changed and not for the better. We gave the Bella the benefit of the doubt - maybe the waitress and new manger were just having a bad day. So we tried to stay at the Bella again about a month ago. Again - the staff was incredibly rude about another policy change. We booked a reservation for one night at the business rate. After driving all the way from San Francisco and arriving at 10pm before the inn closes, we arrived and were met with a hotel employee. She immediately informed us that we could not use the business rate for more than 1 person in a room. Our rate went from $67/night to over $90/night. Why didn't she tell me this when I booked the reservation. This has never been a policy all these years. I was not going to stay for this price at the Bella and especially with such a rude employee. We had limited options at 10pm at night in the small city of Ventura, but I was willing to take the risk to find a hotel that would have much better service. I was very straightforward about out decision - told her that I would be back solo next time. As we left to find another hotel - we saw her in the window tearing up my business card and contact card of 18 years in the window and pointing at it with an ugly pissed off face. Never again will we stay at this hotel with this disrespectful service. Hopefully you will have better luck if you try it. We moved down the street to the Clocktower who will receive our regular business.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the front side of the hotel (1-6) - very loud bars play music on the weekends and...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Westport, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

When visiting our son and his family in Ventura, CA we usually stay at the Bella Maggiore Inn. We love the location, as it's within walking distance to Erik's house, shopping, dining and the beach. The place is very unique. It has that old European charm. The lobby is beautifully decorated with antique furniture, and large paintings adorn the walls. A wide curving staircase leads to the first floor, where we usually stay. The rooms are large, a little dated though, with large window seats. The bathrooms are nicely appointed. For the most part, the rooms are clean, the carpets could use some additional attention. Ask for a room facing the court yard, as it's a lot quieter than the ones facing the street. The complimentary breakfast is to die for, it's a la carte, choose what ever there is on the menu. The complimentary wine and cheese happy hour at 5pm daily is a wonderful touch. And the free parking is nothing to sneeze at, as most other places charge you an arm and a leg to park your car. And there is no other place in that vicinity where one can stay for under $100.00 a night.
We'll be back again in the spring.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the court yard, it's much quieter, but mind you, you are in the city, so some...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bella Maggiore Inn? Share your experiences!