“Neat little surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cliff House Inn on the Ocean

You added Cliff House Inn on the Ocean to your Saves list
Cliff House Inn on the Ocean
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   6602 Old Pacific Coast Highway, Mussel Shoals, Ventura, CA 93001   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Ventura B&B and Inns
St. Louis
“Neat little surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

A wonderful, funky little hotel tucked off Highway 1, the Cliff House Inn is an older hotel with galleries across the back, and a view straight onto the ocean, which is all you can hear with the windows open. The rooms aren't big, but they're comfy. The bathroom is a bit tiny, but it has everything you need. And below there is a tidy little outcropping over the water that holds a swimming pool and lovely little restaurant. Not elegant, not plush. But fun. Only downside. No air conditioning. But with cross-windows open, you don't notice, because the breeze doesn't stop.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I really didn't do enough research, so I'm including photos and detailed information so you don't make the same mistake as I did. First the northbound exit from 101 takes you 10 miles out of your way. I discovered we'd paid a top price for a pit of a hotel. When we arrived, I was told that our rooms were on the third floor and there was NO ELEVATOR. That wasn't mentioned in the ad I read. I hate to think what would have happened if I'd been in a wheel chair. I'll give complete credit that the ocean view is breathtaking but there is no way to get to it, even though the ad says "beach access"! But as you climb the rickety hotel stairs, you feel sure they''re going to detach from the building. And when you try to sleep, you will quickly realize that the 101 Freeway is 20 feet away from the front of the room and the windows are non-insulated. The train tracks are 30 feet away through those same windows. The noise was unbelievable. This place looks like a room at the Bates Motel (and we were actually there on Halloween night). The drapes were so moth-eaten that the sun came through in many places. The bedspread and numerous decorative pillows were filthy. The room (described as "spacious" on the website had room for the king size bed and little else). They managed to stuff in a table with two hard stools (no backs). Not too comfortable for watching TV. The shower curtain looked like it came from a boy's room in the 50s.

The first morning I got out of the shower and discovered that there was no hair dryer in the room. I went to call the front desk only to find that the phone in room doesn't have a dial tone. Luckily I had a cell phone but I had to fight with them to bring it up to me. (I'm dripping wet the entire time). Both mornings the toaster in breakfast room didn't work and no one was anywhere around to assist. The tables were dirty and there were not enough cups.

I had expected from the price and the photos to have a wonderful stay on my second wedding anniversary. The second night we went into town and watched movies that got out after 11 PM so we didn't have to stay in the room. My advice, pull off the highway to this hotel. Walk through the lobby and out the back door. Look at the fantastic view and watch the waves crash. Get back in your car. Stay someplace else.

Room Tip: Choose one from another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarnia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

At the risk of repeating other reviews.......sitting outside with the view of the ocean was simply awsome, the restaurant was lovely if quite pricey.
THE ROOMS OH THE ROOMS.....they were dingy, tired, badly decorated and light switches were broken and just not fixed, TV was not plugged in due to the fact that the cord did not reach the socket, the shower head was mounted so high that the water hits you in the face, the shower curtain didn't meet in the middle because some of the rings were broken so the water went all over the floor.
Really!!!! Do I need to go on? Spent three nights here because we didn't know the area well enough to go somewhere else.
Such a pitty, it must have been quite something back in the day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Hartford, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

For those negative reviews, don't go back. For the rest of us, well, see you there. Addressing some of the complaints from below. The rooms are not four star for sure, about two, but very clean and well attended.
so do not expect luxury. Expect a friendly place on the ocean with a view unmatchable. Expect a great restaurant, great restaurant. And bring
some extra things to eat and drink for hanging around. Bring a book, bring a chess board, do not bring work. Don't worry about tv reception,
it shouldn't be on while you are there. Don't worry about a few kids, go to a retreat if you are.
Water pressure was a bit tricky, oh well, falling to sleep each night with the surf pounding the width of a swimming pool from your open window
more than compensated. Arising each morning with a great cup of coffee waiting downstairs to sit and study that surf that lulled you to sleep. OHHHH YEHHHHH! We shall return.

Room Tip: all rooms are oceanside
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pahrump, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

After reading many of the reviews here, I nearly cancelled my reservation and am so happy I did NOT do that! We get to Ventura/Santa Barbara only about once a year and this was our first stay at The Cliff House...we will DEFINITELY be going back. Our room was spotless and cute...not the Hilton, but if that's what you're looking for you won't find it here. The view was beyond description and I layed on the chaise lounge after dinner (they have several in front of the hotel) and just enjoyed listening to the ocean and the silence. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for that total ocean experience. We had a fabulous dinner (outside) and the service was excellent. At 7:15 the next morning they put out a nice selection of pastries, bread, bagels, jams, coffee cakes, and some wonderfully strong Chillean coffee which is available til 10:30 A.M. I'm glad I brought my own hairdryer, that eliminated going to the front desk to borrow one. If there is one negative, my experience was that the front desk wasn't 'manned' exclusively. The front desk employee seemed to be in the back office alot and couldn't hear when you called for them. But that's the ONLY negative I found. We thoroughly enjoyed our one night there. Wish we could've stayed longer. There's no spa or fitness center, but take a short drive to the beach and take a nice long walk....there's your exercise! Ventura or Santa Barbara have day spas, if you need that. Until 9/27/12 they have a Romance Package special for $130 you get a queen size room for one night and a $25 voucher for dinner. We took advantage of that. (I rated the Service Very Good because of the front desk issue.)

Room Tip: I heard that some rooms have a flat screen tv...ours did not (had an older tv), but that's not i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

It is not luxury, luxury, luxury, but clean and decent. We spent only one night there (travelling along the west coast). I love being so close to the ocean. View from every room and inn was stunning. Love falling a sleep with the sound of the ocean waves hitting the shore and waking up with the same sound. Service was good. Pool and ground area are beautiful. While we had a breakfast beside the pool we looked to the ocean and saw 3 dolphins having a show for us. Great experience. Will be back there for sure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had a lovely one-night stay here--we wanted to be close to the ocean and that we were. The hotel is practically IN the ocean and all rooms have a beautiful view. The rooms were nicely decorated and very comfortable--they didn't seem dingy at all like a lot of other reviews suggest (beyond a few things that are pretty common in ocean properties--I think the salt and humidity is hard on metal fittings and things?). The only complaint about the room was that it was a 10 minute ordeal trying to open our door with the key each time. The pool area and restaurant/picnic/breakfast areas are all on a lovely ocean side terrace and the view is really beautiful. That said, the hotel is right next to a pretty major section of Hwy 101 with no real exit or regular road leading to it--the parking lot is literally on the side of the highway, and getting in and out of the place is both difficult and a bit scary (if we hadn't been driving a super-powered Camaro it would've taken us hours to get a big enough break in the traffic to feel safe pulling out onto the highway). I think that reason alone is enough to convince the majority of the guests to stay on site for meals from the hotel restaurant, which smelled and looked very good, but was out of our price range. Staff were pleasant when we were there and I thought the free breakfast was pretty good. Would have had a great night's sleep listening to the sounds of the waves, but there was a nest in the palm tree outside our window that had two really cool looking but very large and obnoxious baby birds who made loud noises on and off throughout the night and constantly from 6am onwards, so I had to eventually put in earplugs. But considering the fact that hotels on this stretch of the coast tend to be horrendously expensive, we thought this place was a good deal despite the little annoyances and would definitely consider going back if we were in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cliff House Inn on the Ocean? Share your experiences!