“I do not recommend” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 78 hotels in El Paso
Waynesville, North Carolina, United States
“I do not recommend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Up front, I stayed at the Camino Real in El Paso, Texas for a week in November of 2013. The reason for my stay is due to the fact that my husband, being in the national guard, had been in El Paso for months and was given a pass to stay with family within a twenty mile radius of his base. Including myself and my husband, my party included four guests who did stay at this hotel for a week.

On the upside, check-in was not terrible; however I would chalk that up to the fact that a person in my party could not be with us. I booked two rooms (one a single bed. the other having two beds) and the hotel was booked when I came to check-in, but had two rooms, just both with one bed. One room was located on the ninth floor, the other was on floor twelve.

The bathroom was terrible. The water was either way to hot or way too cold and took a long time to adjust to a reasonable temperature. The tile and facilities were out of date and needed a serious scrubbing. In addition, on our last night, the toilet in one of my rooms broke, and spilled water all over the floor.

Most of the lights around the room and the bathroom flickered frequently. During my stay the hotel lost power in the rooms on several floors for most of the day, causing inconveniences to many guests. No manager or anyone ever gave mention of how long power would be lost or how affected guests would be compensated. Also during my stay, in the morning (9 a.m.) the fire alarms screech to life and send me into a panic, so instantly I got up to evacuate, but the alarm stopped and I felt confused. After another alarm, my husband called the front desk and was informed the hotel was testing their alarm system. I seriously recommend letting guests know a test on the alarm system will be happening and when, to avoid upsetting guests who wanted to sleep in.

by the way, I like to take the stairs instead of an elevator and the stairs at this hotel are 1. creepy, 2. hazardous, and 3. sweltering. The stairs are all concrete, no carpeting or nice paint, and no safe no-slip strips. Electrical wiring was exposed on several levels. windows are not found in the stair wells and the lighting was rather dim or out on some levels as well.

As far as the actual room goes, the bed was nice. The T.V. was a tube television. The entertainment center was quite old and one door kept shutting over the T.V. Really, I have stayed at nicer hotels for less money that included refrigerators, microwaves, laundry facilities for guests, etc. By the way, the pool is outside on the tenth floor with no view other than four bland concrete walls.

Lastly, the bar is okay. The service was mediocre and the drinks were not consistent. We sat at the bar on two nights; ordered the same drinks on both nights (one drink per person in our party), and neither night was very similar to each other.

Honestly, I just want to let potential guests to know what they might be in for. I understand the hotel is quite old and historical; however, there is no acceptable excuse in my opinion for so many short comings for a hotel of such a caliber.

Room Tip: The junior suite was nicer than the king suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We have addressed the alarm testing issue as well as the stairs security and spoken with the managers in question. In regards to the TV's we are currently undergoing an upgrade in our systems, and we continue to work on the areas that need improvement to better serve you in the future. Thank you.

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

A nice lobby area and the bar area is definitely the star attraction of the hotel--the stained glass dome is not to be missed. However………the guest rooms are in sore need of updating. Although it is a historic hotel, the amenities in the rooms are old, worn, and outdated. Bathroom fixtures are corroded. Food from the grill was only average. They did provide a state rate, though, and I was on business…...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay. We appreciate your honesty and sincere comments. We are working on the remodeling plans, to better serve you in the future. We hope to see you back soon.
East Ellijay, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was here for a large wedding. The wedding party and out of town guests all stayed at the property. From check in through check out the staff failed to meet even minimum requests. The wedding party and family were supposed to have all renovated rooms together, refrigerators in room--didn't happen. Rooms either weren't cleaned or done after 5pm. Wake up call for airport never done. The WORST hotel experience ever.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory on such an important day. Corrective actions have taken place to ensure that this won't happen again. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I just completed a 2 week Southwest road trip, and on a few occasions we pulled into a town and grabbed a hotel at the last minute. We are far more into historic hotels with character than staying at your average chain, so I was pleased when I was able to pull up the Camino Real on our phone as we approached El Paso and needed a place to lay our heads for the night. We called them up and asked if there were any rooms available, and the person who answered confirmed there was for $100 a night. He was very nice and even funnier when we met him in person!!!

When we walked into the lobby, I noted that for a registered historic hotel the place didn't seem that historic, except for a few details like the grand staircase. At some point this place must have been renovated but whoever did it didn't seem too concerned with keeping the place at least somewhat in the time period. We walked around The Dome Bar and the restaurant and both were REALLY cool, and I only wish we had gotten a chance to experience both when they were open!

Anyway, our room was perfectly nice but the mattress desperately needs to be replaced. It was the worst bed on our whole trip. Within an hour of checking in our toilet backed up and we had to send up for a plunger. we tried to take care of it ourselves but that proved to be a bad idea as the toilet completely overflowed and flooded the bathroom the next morning! We called down to the front desk and asked if we could get a key to an adjoining room so we could at least use the toilet and not have to go all the way down to the lobby, but they said no. Maintenance soon came up and unclogged the toilet but we were almost ready to check out at that point.

Anyway, I would definitely consider coming back here again, especially as it seems the downtown area is really getting a makeover and I'd be interested to do some more exploring. The staff here were all very nice and I really want to have a drink in the Dome Bar sometime!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We concur that our Bar featuring a custom Tiffany dome are one of our most special highlights in our Hotel and I apologize that you weren’t able to enjoy on your stay. Your feedback on the other points was shared with our team, we are working on the remodeling plan to better serve you in the upcoming years. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Why Did I Stay Here? I transferred from Amtrak to Greyhound and needed an overnight stay. Of the downtown hotels, the Camino Real, the Doubletree and Holiday Inn Express, the Camino Real was the closest to the transportation facilities. I checked Trip Advisor prior to booking and was fully aware that the reviews were mixed. But I took a chance because of the convenience factor and was well-satisfied.

The Room: I had a large room with a view of the plaza. The room was clean and well-maintained, although someone dented the wall. The room was furnished with nice period furniture. The TV located in a dresser cabinet was not a flat screen; I did not turn it on to test the quality. The room only contained one chair, that being at the desk. The spacious bathroom had nice amenities.

Dining: The hotel has an attractive upscale dining room that you enter through a beautiful domed bar. There's also a large Mexican restaurant on the premises with an early breakfast starting at 6 AM; lunch and dinner are also served. A Starbucks and the Anson Eleven restaurant are located a few steps from the hotel. I ate dinner at Anson Eleven and was satisfied. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as my bus departure was early.

Stupid or Duped? I planned calling the hotel directly to book a reservation. I did a web search for the hotel site and dialed the number. I soon became aware that I wasn't conversing directly with the hotel; I assumed it was the chain's central reservations. When I got my e-mail confirmation, I was surprised it was from Expedia; I thought perhaps (wrongly) that Expedia was handling their reservations. I got my credit card bill before leaving on the trip. To my surprise I was billed in advance for the room. Not sure if I was duped or stupid from the get-go. However, I had no problem with my reservation upon checking in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, thank you for your kind words and nice review. We are glad to read that your stay was up to par and that you enjoyed our Texas size rooms. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you in the near future, and that you get a chance to try our great breakfast or lunch buffet at La Huerta Restaurant.
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

First, the bad news: When we checked in, the room we had reserved (Deluxe King) was not available. Now the good news: the manager handled the problem well, upgrading us to a junior suite. And finally, and unfortunately, more bad news: Our suite was very dated--24 inch old (not flat screen) televisions, worn and stained carpet, and furniture that was at least 20 or 30 years old. The carpet had not been vacuumed as we found peanuts on the floor in the bedroom. The drains in the bathtub and the bathroom sink were rusty. All-in-all, just a rather depressing room. This property needs a lot of attention.

In fairness I must mention that the public spaces are quite nice and the Tiffany dome over the bar is worth seeing. We did not try the dining room but it is a beautiful space.

The staff at the front desk were well-meaning and pleasant but it took us forever to check in and check out. A lot of time was spent just staring blankly at computer screens.

Travelers should also be aware that the downtown area where the hotel is located is quite dead--construction projects halted, vacant store fronts, and deserted streets at night.

All-in-all, I would not stay here again. There is a very nice Doubletree property very close by if you want to stay in the downtown area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Not worth staying at. Water issues and the rooms need updated. I burn myself trying to take a shower ( no cold water just hot). Choose another place. Tvs in the room are old and need updated. So much left to desire.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Camino Real El Paso? Share your experiences!