Why Did I Stay Here? I transferred from Amtrak to Greyhound and needed an overnight stay. Of the downtown hotels, the Camino Real, the Doubletree and Holiday Inn Express, the Camino Real was the closest to the transportation facilities. I checked Trip Advisor prior to booking and was fully aware that the reviews were mixed. But I took a chance because of the convenience factor and was well-satisfied.
The Room: I had a large room with a view of the plaza. The room was clean and well-maintained, although someone dented the wall. The room was furnished with nice period furniture. The TV located in a dresser cabinet was not a flat screen; I did not turn it on to test the quality. The room only contained one chair, that being at the desk. The spacious bathroom had nice amenities.
Dining: The hotel has an attractive upscale dining room that you enter through a beautiful domed bar. There's also a large Mexican restaurant on the premises with an early breakfast starting at 6 AM; lunch and dinner are also served. A Starbucks and the Anson Eleven restaurant are located a few steps from the hotel. I ate dinner at Anson Eleven and was satisfied. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as my bus departure was early.
Stupid or Duped? I planned calling the hotel directly to book a reservation. I did a web search for the hotel site and dialed the number. I soon became aware that I wasn't conversing directly with the hotel; I assumed it was the chain's central reservations. When I got my e-mail confirmation, I was surprised it was from Expedia; I thought perhaps (wrongly) that Expedia was handling their reservations. I got my credit card bill before leaving on the trip. To my surprise I was billed in advance for the room. Not sure if I was duped or stupid from the get-go. However, I had no problem with my reservation upon checking in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Hearth of El Paso, a Texas Landmark part of Historic Hotels of America, with Texas Sized rooms, and a distintion in service with 357 rooms and 19 meeting rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Camino Real El Paso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Camino Real El Paso Hotel El Paso
- Camino Real Hotel El Paso
- El Paso Camino Real