First, the bad news: When we checked in, the room we had reserved (Deluxe King) was not available. Now the good news: the manager handled the problem well, upgrading us to a junior suite. And finally, and unfortunately, more bad news: Our suite was very dated--24 inch old (not flat screen) televisions, worn and stained carpet, and furniture that was at least 20 or 30 years old. The carpet had not been vacuumed as we found peanuts on the floor in the bedroom. The drains in the bathtub and the bathroom sink were rusty. All-in-all, just a rather depressing room. This property needs a lot of attention.
In fairness I must mention that the public spaces are quite nice and the Tiffany dome over the bar is worth seeing. We did not try the dining room but it is a beautiful space.
The staff at the front desk were well-meaning and pleasant but it took us forever to check in and check out. A lot of time was spent just staring blankly at computer screens.
Travelers should also be aware that the downtown area where the hotel is located is quite dead--construction projects halted, vacant store fronts, and deserted streets at night.
All-in-all, I would not stay here again. There is a very nice Doubletree property very close by if you want to stay in the downtown area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1912, our Texas landmark hotel is located in the heart of downtown El Paso, adjacent to the El Paso Convention Center and within walking distance of museums, historic San Jacinto Plaza, Downtown Entertainment and Business Districts. Guests will enjoy La Huerta Restaurant Open from 6 am until 11 pm, opened from Mon to Sunday Dome Restaurant Open from Tuesday to Saturday from 5 pm to 11 pm Pool Open from 6 am to 11 pm Gym open 24hrs Room service from 6 am until 12 am Secured underground parking Complimentary airport shuttle safe deposit box bilingual staff Business center 24Hrs Union Plaza District about 20 restaurants and bars just 5 min in walking distance Chihuahua's Baseball Stadium 1 block away Hudson Williams Convention center across the street San Jacinto Plaza only 1 block away Museum of art across the street Museum of History 2 blocks away Public Library 3 block away SunBowl Stadium 2 min drive Cincinati District with bars and restaurants next to UTEP only 5 min drive - Located in the Hearth of El Paso, a Texas Landmark part of Historic Hotels of America, with Texas Sized rooms, and a distintion in service with 357 rooms and 19 meeting rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Camino Real El Paso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Camino Real El Paso Hotel El Paso
- Camino Real Hotel El Paso
- El Paso Camino Real