“Kind of reminded me of a Stephen King movie.” 4 of 5 stars

Camino Real El Paso
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 South El Paso Street, El Paso, TX 79901   |
Ranked #56 of 80 Hotels in El Paso
Roswell, New Mexico
“Kind of reminded me of a Stephen King movie.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. It is an old hotel, built in 1912, but that is part of the charm. Kind of reminded me of an old horror movie.....which was not a bad thing. It has an historic charm that you can't get at the newer places. True, the TV is old (approx. 25in. tube) but the furniture looked original.....which again added to the charm. We did not have any problems with the staff at all. In fact they even offered to leave the pool open longer for us. Overall, I would definitely stay again. It was anything but a ghost town while we were there. In fact, there was a live band across the way in an open plaza which was free and had chairs and room for dancing. It's also right across the street from the Civic Center. We didn't go to it but from our room it looked like maybe a rooftop restaurant next to the plaza and concerts in between there and a Starbucks. In this case, you're paying for the experience and not luxury. One more thing, the pool is outdoors on the 10th floor and not heated.

Room Tip: A new wing was added in 1986, maybe those rooms are more modern. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and want to let you know that we are currently working on upgrading our TV system, as well as improving different areas or our hotel also the El Paso downtown area is going thru a remodeling phase and we would like to invite you to come back later and experience the new and exciting El Paso downtown.
We are glad that you enjoy the history that is within our Hotel and hope to see you back soon.

Enrique De la Cueva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Artesia New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

As you walk in the front lobby, your first impression is of an old beautiful hotel with lots of class. I picture it being that way back in the 70s but nothing has been done to the rooms since then. The television has got be be about 30 years old if not older. The bed sheets are so thin as are the pillows. Worn carpet and the bathrooms are horrible. Concrete floors with awful water stains. Worn towels and not working faucets. We had to turn off the hot water under the sink bacause the water would not turn off from the faucet. Be sure that you take your own hair dryer if you must stay there, because the dryers are awful, first of all they don't dry your hair and when you turn them on, the air coming out smells like burnt hair, yuck!!! The staff at front desk was not very friendly and did not seem to know what to do half of the time. Food was cold in the restaurant and had to wait a long time for breakfast we ordered or coffe refills. I will definiely NOT stay ther again, I would rather stay at a chain hotel, there is a Double Tree a couple of blocks away that is very nice and new, rooms are very nice and new.I am sure that if someone went in there and spent money in remodeling and updating the rooms the hotel could then be a 4 star because the room size is very nice. Only stay there if you don't care what the room looks like.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Lupe H.

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review. We appreciate your comments and apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. I have contacted you via TripAdvisor's message system with my email address and I would appreciate you emailing me the details of your stay, so I can further investigate the issues yo mentioned.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt so negatively about your stay as the experiences you described are not characteristic of the lever of service we strive to provide.

We look forward to welcoming you back and exceed your expectations.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed in this hotel after a national bus line ruined my vacation to Las Vegas and had to put me here for the night. The hotel is really nice on the outside and inside. I was a little worried because the area where this hotel was located looked like a ghost town. The lobby was clean and nicely decorated. I just walked right up to the desk to check in with no issues. The staff was very nice and friendly. Before I went to my room, I had a much needed alcoholic drink in the bar area. It was very relaxing and quiet.
I went upstairs to my room and it was very decent and clean. I do have to say that the bed was a little too firm for me, but I was just going to be there for the night.

Room Tip: I asked for a non-smoking room and it was very clean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Innohsentgrl, on behalf of our staff I want to thank you for your giving us of your time to write a review of your night stay with us at Camino Real. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to unwind and relax after the trouble you had with the bus line. We hope that you enjoyed your Las Vegas trip & look forward to serving you in the near future.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was in El Paso for a wedding and had the pleasure of staying at the Camino Real. I had read some reviews prior to the trip and was afraid I had made a poor choice. What a lovely hotel! And much preferred to a chain. Centrally located (right across from El Paso's art museum and performing arts complex, a couple of restaurants close by as well as Walgreen's and CVS), very accommodating staff, inexpensive overnight parking ($6) and a beautiful lobby/bar area. The Dome is magnificent! My room was clean and well-maintained: small coffee maker in room for that first eye-opener, really nice selection of toiletries (including a razor, shaving cream and toothbrush), great towels (thick and fluffy). With temperatures in the high 90s, was pleased to have very good air conditioning; once the room was cool, it stayed cool. I chose a room rate (under $100) that included the breakfast buffet (valued at approx. $12). The usual fare PLUS green and red chile and biscuits - delish! I highly recommend this hotel for its convenience, charm and value. And now for an editorial comment: If we don't patronize these beautiful old hotels, they'll be gone and replaced with yet another sterile, mediocre version of what we've come to call a hotel (really motels with more than one story), and I believe that would be a shame.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 8th floor - quiet and roomy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Boomernotreally,

Thank you for a wonderful & detailed review of our hotel! We are very grateful to hear such kind words about our property and our staff, and are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Camino Real upon your next trip to El Paso.

Sincerily

Enrique De La Cueva
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here for my nieces birthday party in May,when we got there,noone was out front or at front desk when I found a couple of employees at the bar I asked for help they said someone will be there shortly,15min later I get help but couldn't find my reservation AND told me I needed to pay $8 for parking a night! The rooms are over $100 n they Still ask u to pay for parking?! On top of all that I get to my room n had asked for a king bed n i got a queen,argued with the front desk about the size,the pool was closed,the bathroom was dirty,and when I needed more soap and tp the maids took 1hour n a half to bring it up! I will never stay there again! Even if it was free!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Kisses25,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review.
The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service we strive to provide, and we do apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. Corrective actions have taken place, to ensure that this won’t happen again. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me so I can personally arrange you stay.

Always at your service,

General Manager.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed here twice now (with 6 years between visits) and both times I was pleased with the staff, the cleanliness of the rooms, and general maintenance. While not in the centre of the action (if there is such an area in El Paso) there's a pub across the street with a good kitchen.

Room Tip: corner rooms are farthest from the elevators
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear South CostaRica,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your second visit to Camino Real Hotel. We appreciate your honesty and are glad to hear your stay was up to par. We hope to see you back soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times but was disappointed this time around. This was a great hotel and in many ways still is but oh my has the always schetchy neighborhood gone even further down hill. It's hard to stay here and even think about venturing out of the hotel. It's in the middle of a combat zone not just dead and night but dangerous. Last time I was here 6 years ago there was a semblance of night life. Now it's not even trying. Shame the staff are doing there best

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Santafesoaker,
Thank you for taking the time in writing a review of our hotel. We would like to let you know that the El Paso Downtown area is going thru a remodeling phase and we would like to invite you to come back and look what’s new. There is a new Starbucks just across the hotel, as well as new exciting dining options around downtown. For spring of 2014 the baseball stadium will be finished just two blocks away. Also the Plaza Theater is just across the street featuring free live concerts in the summer, and wonderful shows all year long. We do hope you give our city another chance, since very exciting things are coming our way.
Hoping we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Enrique De la Cueva

Been to Camino Real El Paso? Share your experiences!