“Highly recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 79 Hotels in El Paso
Denver, Colorado
“Highly recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was in El Paso for a wedding and had the pleasure of staying at the Camino Real. I had read some reviews prior to the trip and was afraid I had made a poor choice. What a lovely hotel! And much preferred to a chain. Centrally located (right across from El Paso's art museum and performing arts complex, a couple of restaurants close by as well as Walgreen's and CVS), very accommodating staff, inexpensive overnight parking ($6) and a beautiful lobby/bar area. The Dome is magnificent! My room was clean and well-maintained: small coffee maker in room for that first eye-opener, really nice selection of toiletries (including a razor, shaving cream and toothbrush), great towels (thick and fluffy). With temperatures in the high 90s, was pleased to have very good air conditioning; once the room was cool, it stayed cool. I chose a room rate (under $100) that included the breakfast buffet (valued at approx. $12). The usual fare PLUS green and red chile and biscuits - delish! I highly recommend this hotel for its convenience, charm and value. And now for an editorial comment: If we don't patronize these beautiful old hotels, they'll be gone and replaced with yet another sterile, mediocre version of what we've come to call a hotel (really motels with more than one story), and I believe that would be a shame.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 8th floor - quiet and roomy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Boomernotreally,

Thank you for a wonderful & detailed review of our hotel! We are very grateful to hear such kind words about our property and our staff, and are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Camino Real upon your next trip to El Paso.

Sincerily

Enrique De La Cueva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here for my nieces birthday party in May,when we got there,noone was out front or at front desk when I found a couple of employees at the bar I asked for help they said someone will be there shortly,15min later I get help but couldn't find my reservation AND told me I needed to pay $8 for parking a night! The rooms are over $100 n they Still ask u to pay for parking?! On top of all that I get to my room n had asked for a king bed n i got a queen,argued with the front desk about the size,the pool was closed,the bathroom was dirty,and when I needed more soap and tp the maids took 1hour n a half to bring it up! I will never stay there again! Even if it was free!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Kisses25,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review.
The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service we strive to provide, and we do apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. Corrective actions have taken place, to ensure that this won’t happen again. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me so I can personally arrange you stay.

Always at your service,

General Manager.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed here twice now (with 6 years between visits) and both times I was pleased with the staff, the cleanliness of the rooms, and general maintenance. While not in the centre of the action (if there is such an area in El Paso) there's a pub across the street with a good kitchen.

Room Tip: corner rooms are farthest from the elevators
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear South CostaRica,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your second visit to Camino Real Hotel. We appreciate your honesty and are glad to hear your stay was up to par. We hope to see you back soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times but was disappointed this time around. This was a great hotel and in many ways still is but oh my has the always schetchy neighborhood gone even further down hill. It's hard to stay here and even think about venturing out of the hotel. It's in the middle of a combat zone not just dead and night but dangerous. Last time I was here 6 years ago there was a semblance of night life. Now it's not even trying. Shame the staff are doing there best

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Santafesoaker,
Thank you for taking the time in writing a review of our hotel. We would like to let you know that the El Paso Downtown area is going thru a remodeling phase and we would like to invite you to come back and look what’s new. There is a new Starbucks just across the hotel, as well as new exciting dining options around downtown. For spring of 2014 the baseball stadium will be finished just two blocks away. Also the Plaza Theater is just across the street featuring free live concerts in the summer, and wonderful shows all year long. We do hope you give our city another chance, since very exciting things are coming our way.
Hoping we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Guadalajara, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Arrived after all day in travel and order in dinner. After one hour I've been told all the orders were canceled because there was too many for staff to cope. No one called to let me know in advance and advise alternative solutions. Next day ordered appetizers and been left 1 hour waiting. They brought it after a complain to the manager. Overall poor service.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Kurwa,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We have addressed the room service issue and spoken with the manager in question. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations with the excellent service you should expect of a Camino Real Hotel.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Dirty, smelly, old, internet does not work, TV was made in the 1970's. Peeling wall paper, mold in bathroom. Horrible bed and horrible sheets. Look s good on their web site but it's not accurate. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Davidtoth,
Thank you for taking the time on giving us a review. I am sorry you feel aggrieved with your visit and I would like to work with you to ensure you are satisfied with the outcome. Your point about having a flat screen TVs in the bedrooms is very valid and we are currently undergoing an upgrade of our TV systems. Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt so negatively about your stay as this is not the feedback we like to receive. We hope you will have an opportunity to return and enjoy the Camino Real, please feel free to contact me so I can personally arrange your visit.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Spacious, quiet, pretty, with a friendly, helpful staff.

If you like chains, this may not be the place for you. The fixtures aren't new; you may have to search for the electrical outlets; the rugs are a bit worn... but the hotel is charming, the rooms and beds comfortable, and the staff is warm and solicitous. We loved being downtown, walking right out the door and being smack in the middle of El Paso's fabulous historic district--great for ambling and photographing--and a short walk from the bridge and a look at what it means to live on the border--a must! Other reviewers have mentioned that the neighborhood feels unsafe. Really??? Perhaps they're not used to cities or neighborhoods that are anything less than affluent. El Paso is not Beverly Hills. It *is* a fascinating cultural and historical mix. And El Paso is the safest city in the U.S.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room on a high floor, and had a tranquil, comfortable stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Ebecker,

Thank you so much for your kind words and nice review. We are truly pleased to provide our guests an idyllic historic downtown location just step from the best cultural attractions and blocks away from the border with Mexico. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Camino Real Hotel upon your next trip to El Paso.

General Manager.

Been to Camino Real El Paso? Share your experiences!