“A restoration in progress” 3 of 5 stars

Camino Real El Paso
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 South El Paso Street, El Paso, TX 79901   |
Ranked #55 of 80 Hotels in El Paso
Dallas, Texas
“A restoration in progress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is a great slice of history. If you walk the lobby and restaurant area, you can see old black and white photos of the hotel from the early 20th century and marvel at the Tiffany dome glass - it is beautiful. The rooms are ok, not fabulous not awful, but the rates are very reasonable. The small café in the lobby was just ok as well. The breakfast buffet could use a little more care, the food was never really warm. This place has great bones; it just needs a little updating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Hungrytraveler21,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and are glad to hear that you enjoyed the History that is within our Hotel walls.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you in the near future.

Enrique De la Cueva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in on a recommendation. MUST see the fantastic glass dome done by Tiffany over the bar. A lot of marble and gilt...beautiful. Cucumber Martini is going to be my next 'must have'. Mexican Martini served in the most beautiful glass I have ever seen. Service was S.L.O.W., but the people watching was worth it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear DuraMater.

Thank you so much for your kind words and nice review.

We are glad you enjoyed or Tiffany stained glass dome at the Bar. It was built in 1912 and has seen the likes of many legends that have walked in to our Hotel, Pancho Villa, Amelia Earhart, Eleanor Roosevelt, Bob Dylan, U.S Presidents Taft, Hoover, Nixon and Bush and many more.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Camino Real Hotel upon your next trip to El Paso.

Ferndale, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here in October 2012 while on a three-day business trip. Overall the customer service was positive. The room was nice, could have used a little room TLC, i.e., minor maintenance tv issues, etc. But it was very close to where I was conducting business so I can complain.

I would definite stay here again--and probably will if I need to go to El Paso next week.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Burton K,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and are glad to hear your stay was up to par. Sorry about the TV problems we are currently working on replacing them

We hope to see you back soon!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

LOCATION, location, location.
The room was spacious, clean , quiet , and had a nice city view.
We could walk around the historic downtown area of the city. And only a short drive to other places.
Parking is in a garage for an additional $6/ day with on and out privileges .
The staff was really helpful . When I called for extra towels and a nonfunctional light, a pleasant housekeeper arrived with the needed supplies in minutes.
Lots of options for eating within a short walk.
Beautiful old hotel. Be inspired by the bar and lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Patricia R,

Thank you so much for your kind words and nice review. We truly appreciate that we were your top choice of hotel in El Paso. It is always great hearing that our guests had a fantastic stay with us and enjoyed the rich history that is within our hotel walls, our Texas sized rooms.

We hope to see you soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

So, here I am at the Camino Real in El Paso. I am on a business trip. Not comfortable here. First, we ordered room service and got bowls of cold soup with no spoons and a Cesar salad with cold grilled chicken and cheap low quality produce. Think Denny's quality food but cold. Then, I got I to bed and found that the sheets were questionable. There were little dots of dirt or fuzz in the sheets and I found a hair in the bottom sheet. Yes, I do inspect my sheets. Then, I immediately caught a smell of grease or sweat on the pillows or pillow cases. I had to throw the pillows off the bed because the smell makes me sick and keeps me up. Yuck. No wonder no one stays here and it was priced lower than the Hyatt Place and Hilton Garden Inn. I do not plan on staying here again. What a disappointment.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review.

The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service we strive to provide, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory.

Your feedback was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had never been to the Camino Real before, but had heard so much about the beautiful Dome Bar and wanted to have a pre-party drink there on New Year's Eve. The hotel is within walking distance to the El Paso Club on the top floor of the Chase Building, where we had reservations for a dance/dinner party. I had read TripAdvisor reports that the rooms were a run down, but we booked anyway and were delighted that other critiques were not what we experienced.
The room was large and well-appointed with nice bed linens, plush pillows and comfy mattress. There was a little ante room before entering the bedroom, which made it feel even larger and special. The antique-looking amoire was a nice touch. The bathroom was also large and clean and well lit. The hallways were wide and well lit with attractive carpeting. It was a corner room with windows providing views of the architecturally sculptured art museum on one side, and the other window overlooked the broad expanse of El Paso.
What could have been better: 1) Our drink in the lovely, lovely, lovely Dome Bar was well-served, but the room was so cold that patrons, including us, were forced to wear coats. 2) Check-in was remiss - first, they didn't give us a parking pass and we had to wait in a long line to get one; second, they didn't give us a breakfast pass and we had to go to the desk the next morning to get it. The check-in line was long and the clerk was probably trying to be efficient, but it was inconvenient to go back and get the passes he should have taken care of at check in. 3) The room was under lit. There was one night stand with one lamp. There wasn't even a lamp by the side chair, nor a ceiling light. 4) There was only one facecloth in the bathroom. 5) There was a desk/table in the room, but no plug-in nearby. The only place to sit to put on makeup was at the ante room table where there was a plug-in for a makeup mirror. 5) Breakfast was only adequate: There were scrambled eggs and greasy meats, sugary danishes, and only one kind of juice - apple. The cut fruits were watery and tasteless, and we waited far too long for coffee (the morning after New Year's!!!). There were no English muffins, breads for toasting, bananas, yogurts, nor oatmeal.
Would we go back? Probably, because it's so conveniently located, and now we know what to expect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good lighting.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RoadrunnersNewMexico,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We concur that our Bar featuring a custom Tiffany dome are one of our most special highlights in our Hotel and I apologize that you weren't able to enjoy it because of the heating problem we were having at that time. Your feedback on the other points was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The room was nice, quiet & clean. Unfortunately, the hotel seemed understaffed & people at the front desk didn't seem to communicate with each other.
I had certain incentives included in my rate & the hotel service was ignorant when I put in my request for the drinks & food. I called the front desk the 2nd night, made the request again, was told it would be right up and waited. They never called or even came up to my floor.
I spoke with other guests who said they had a similar issue. They had ordered room service, waited two hours, were then contacted by phone and asked if they still wanted their order. They said no.
When I checked out, I informed the front desk & all they said was, I appologize. These people need to go to professional hoteliers and learn the basics.
I'll make sure never to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Hungrytraveler21,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory.
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Enrique De la Cueva

Been to Camino Real El Paso? Share your experiences!