“Historic hotel with solid customer service” 3 of 5 stars

Camino Real El Paso
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 South El Paso Street, El Paso, TX 79912   |
Ranked #61 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Ferndale, Michigan
“Historic hotel with solid customer service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here in October 2012 while on a three-day business trip. Overall the customer service was positive. The room was nice, could have used a little room TLC, i.e., minor maintenance tv issues, etc. But it was very close to where I was conducting business so I can complain.

I would definite stay here again--and probably will if I need to go to El Paso next week.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Burton K,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and are glad to hear your stay was up to par. Sorry about the TV problems we are currently working on replacing them

We hope to see you back soon!

Enrique De la Cueva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

LOCATION, location, location.
The room was spacious, clean , quiet , and had a nice city view.
We could walk around the historic downtown area of the city. And only a short drive to other places.
Parking is in a garage for an additional $6/ day with on and out privileges .
The staff was really helpful . When I called for extra towels and a nonfunctional light, a pleasant housekeeper arrived with the needed supplies in minutes.
Lots of options for eating within a short walk.
Beautiful old hotel. Be inspired by the bar and lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Patricia R,

Thank you so much for your kind words and nice review. We truly appreciate that we were your top choice of hotel in El Paso. It is always great hearing that our guests had a fantastic stay with us and enjoyed the rich history that is within our hotel walls, our Texas sized rooms.

We hope to see you soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

So, here I am at the Camino Real in El Paso. I am on a business trip. Not comfortable here. First, we ordered room service and got bowls of cold soup with no spoons and a Cesar salad with cold grilled chicken and cheap low quality produce. Think Denny's quality food but cold. Then, I got I to bed and found that the sheets were questionable. There were little dots of dirt or fuzz in the sheets and I found a hair in the bottom sheet. Yes, I do inspect my sheets. Then, I immediately caught a smell of grease or sweat on the pillows or pillow cases. I had to throw the pillows off the bed because the smell makes me sick and keeps me up. Yuck. No wonder no one stays here and it was priced lower than the Hyatt Place and Hilton Garden Inn. I do not plan on staying here again. What a disappointment.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review.

The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service we strive to provide, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory.

Your feedback was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had never been to the Camino Real before, but had heard so much about the beautiful Dome Bar and wanted to have a pre-party drink there on New Year's Eve. The hotel is within walking distance to the El Paso Club on the top floor of the Chase Building, where we had reservations for a dance/dinner party. I had read TripAdvisor reports that the rooms were a run down, but we booked anyway and were delighted that other critiques were not what we experienced.
The room was large and well-appointed with nice bed linens, plush pillows and comfy mattress. There was a little ante room before entering the bedroom, which made it feel even larger and special. The antique-looking amoire was a nice touch. The bathroom was also large and clean and well lit. The hallways were wide and well lit with attractive carpeting. It was a corner room with windows providing views of the architecturally sculptured art museum on one side, and the other window overlooked the broad expanse of El Paso.
What could have been better: 1) Our drink in the lovely, lovely, lovely Dome Bar was well-served, but the room was so cold that patrons, including us, were forced to wear coats. 2) Check-in was remiss - first, they didn't give us a parking pass and we had to wait in a long line to get one; second, they didn't give us a breakfast pass and we had to go to the desk the next morning to get it. The check-in line was long and the clerk was probably trying to be efficient, but it was inconvenient to go back and get the passes he should have taken care of at check in. 3) The room was under lit. There was one night stand with one lamp. There wasn't even a lamp by the side chair, nor a ceiling light. 4) There was only one facecloth in the bathroom. 5) There was a desk/table in the room, but no plug-in nearby. The only place to sit to put on makeup was at the ante room table where there was a plug-in for a makeup mirror. 5) Breakfast was only adequate: There were scrambled eggs and greasy meats, sugary danishes, and only one kind of juice - apple. The cut fruits were watery and tasteless, and we waited far too long for coffee (the morning after New Year's!!!). There were no English muffins, breads for toasting, bananas, yogurts, nor oatmeal.
Would we go back? Probably, because it's so conveniently located, and now we know what to expect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good lighting.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RoadrunnersNewMexico,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We concur that our Bar featuring a custom Tiffany dome are one of our most special highlights in our Hotel and I apologize that you weren't able to enjoy it because of the heating problem we were having at that time. Your feedback on the other points was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

The room was nice, quiet & clean. Unfortunately, the hotel seemed understaffed & people at the front desk didn't seem to communicate with each other.
I had certain incentives included in my rate & the hotel service was ignorant when I put in my request for the drinks & food. I called the front desk the 2nd night, made the request again, was told it would be right up and waited. They never called or even came up to my floor.
I spoke with other guests who said they had a similar issue. They had ordered room service, waited two hours, were then contacted by phone and asked if they still wanted their order. They said no.
When I checked out, I informed the front desk & all they said was, I appologize. These people need to go to professional hoteliers and learn the basics.
I'll make sure never to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Hungrytraveler21,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

When I found out there was a historic hotel in El Paso I was excited because there's nothing more pointless feeling than paying $100+ a night for a basic, chain airport hotel with no style. I've stayed at the Camino Real twice and I'd say that if you're willing to put up with its age and associated challenges, it is a cool place to stay. On my first stay I reserved an executive level room and was quite charmed by the old-fashioned-ness of it. The room was clean (not spotless but clean enough) and had an old-fashioned-style 1940s-esque bathroom that was quite charming, kind of bit like a noir Hollywood movie. My only complaint was that when I left a $300 pair of jeans in the bedding, they definitely were not saved for me (I called back and got the runaround until I gave up. Mea culpa; I shouldn't have left the jeans there). On my second stay I reserved the executive level room with the Amex special, which meant I was supposed to be upgraded to a suite. The clerk at the desk didn't really understand the special and so I had to tell him to upgrade me, and the first room he gave me was kind of terrible: scratched walls, very old 80s bathroom with peeling wallpaper and bad lighting, and the room was really dark. I didn't feel comfortable there. So I asked for a different room and got a room four floors up that was much more comfortable, smelled good, no marks on the walls and with decent lighting. As a bonus, the bathroom had recently been upgraded with a nice tiled shower and rain showerhead. So I guess the lesson I learned from this is that if you are going to stay here you need to be really on top of things and basically insist that the clerk give you a high-floor room that has been updated. Otherwise you might find yourself in a sketchy room. But the style of the bar and the old-time furniture can make doing the work at the check-in desk worth it.

I agree with a lot of reviewers that if the Camino Real did some across-the-board updates (like refreshing the carpet and TVs and upgrading the lighting in the rooms) this could be a fantastic historic hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Veronica S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your second visit to Camino Real Hotel. We appreciate your honesty and sincere comments. We are glad that you enjoy the history that is within our Hotel and hope to see you back soon.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Cool historic hotel in neat location with stuff within walking distance. It's dated though. Expect funny smells like an old hotel would have. No Concierge, no pool, no spa.

Our room wasn't quite ready at check-in time.

Overall, love it for the history. But leave it for the lack of luxury.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory; on the subjects you mentioned we do have an outdoor pool on the 10th floor. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Enrique De la Cueva

Been to Camino Real El Paso? Share your experiences!